Barefoot Gym

peacekaren

Barefooters
May 7, 2010
I recently started powerlifting and decided I wanted to work with a personal trainer to help me with proper lifting form. I looked around and found a local gym focused on free weights with great rates. When I contacted the gym to ask about training I inquired regarding their shoe policy, noting that I prefer to lift barefoot. Their answer - barefoot lifting is OK. My answer - sign me up!

It turns out that my trainer is the general manager of the gym who also happens to be the son of the owner. Not only is he OK with my lack of footwear, he's been very impressed with how my foot strength helps my lifts. Today when I showed up for our training session he showed me the new FiveFingers he just purchased for himself. For a variety of reasons he prefers not to be barefoot but I helped inspire him to go with even more minimal footwear.

Peace,
Karen

Welcome back, Karen! Glad you've been doing well. Sounds like a nice gym to go to. Here's a thread we have just recently been discussing about how many are not welcome in the gym. We were contacted by the Wall Street Journal, and they interviewed a few of us about it here: http://thebarefootrunners.org/threads/wall-street-journal.13448/

Great to see that the word 's finaly getting out. Arnold and his old school buddies couldn't possibly have been totally wrong with their barefoot lifting ways back in the day. Good for you and good for your trainer/coach/owner's son for so clearly seeing the light.

Thanks for the welcome back, TJ. I saw the article linked on Longboard's FB page. He posted it right around the same time I found the gym. Made me think of all of you here when my trainer showed up in his VFFs today. :)

Peace,
Karen

Ha! That is so funny. What a coincidence. It's a small barefoot world after all. :barefoot: