Barefoot-friendly trails in Southeastern PA

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Livio Azzoni, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Livio Azzoni

Livio Azzoni Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Hi Everyone,
    I was wondering if you guys would share some suggestions re: barefoot-friendly trails in the Philadelphia region: I live in Philadelphia itself, and run mostly on the Schuylkill river loop (Art Museum to East Falls bridge) or the Forbidden Drive. Both are very barefoot-friendly, except in winter after snowfall (due to salt and sharp gravel).
    I'd like to branch out a bit, without driving a million miles... any suggestions? maybe the Valley Forge section of the Schuylkill river Trail (Betzwood trailhead)? and is better running toward Pottstown or toward Norristown? Ideal distance would be 6-13 miles.
    Thank you for any suggestion!
    Livio

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  2. duane_s

duane_s Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

perkiomen trail is 22mi of easily doable BF. the southern part is paved, however. you could start at the middle perk park and go north all the way to green lane park. there is a 12% grade hill 1/4mi long on the northern part. other than that, it's flat +/- 20ft.
    forbidden dr and the hill trails could be good (andorra rd x northwestern ave) pea gravel, etc
    Vally Forge trails, some paved, some dirt/pea gravel: mt misery & mt joy have nice hill trails (alittle rougher paths), and alot of paved paths around the park.
    the dirty german 25k/50k trail race is in pennypack park, starting across from fox chase farm. some bridal path, some rougher dirt/roots/etc.
    schuylkill trail north of phoenixville (township line trail head) heading north is pea gravel then dirt.
    delaware and lehigh canal trail (yardley or washington's crossing and north) is pea gravel, flat.
    kinda depends on what you want: in-the-middle-of-nowhere, paved, flat, hilly, restrooms, water fountains, etc.

3. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Duane nailed a good deal of it.

Valley Forge is a wonderful venue, with lots of BF friendly choices for texture and length. If you want to join me for a run there sometime I'd be happy to try to work it out.

The SRT is longer and straighter than anything else I know and is uniformly top quality asphalt. It's the same as you get down toward town along the river, I believe.

4. Livio Azzoni

Livio Azzoni Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

thanks guys, very helpful.
    @JosephTree: we should definitely try some runs together... I run 100% pavement, pace usually around 8:45-8:30/mile. it might be nice to try different terrains, but I can't promise any speed there <lol>

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  5. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

LA, Sure! That pace is just fine for me - after I warm up a bit.

6. fmagic

fmagic Chapter Presidents
    1. Pennsylvania
    2. California...
    3. Presidents

Close to Valley Forge, Wilson Farm Park in Chesterbrook is also BF friendly. The main trail there is a 1.3 mile paved loop with lots of connector trails to give a little bit of variety. The only time this park gets "technical" is in the Spring when the geese come out on force. I frequent this park when the clocks change because the trails are lighted after dark, and keep the lights on until at least 8PM (in DST, the lights stay on until 10PM!)

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  7. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

...and it connects to the trails at VF if you know the way!