Barefoot FAQ By Donald Buraglio of RunningandRambling.com

donaldrr.jpg

Barefoot FAQ
By Donald Buraglio
RunningandRambling.com

#fullpost{display:inline;}

I don’t think there’s much shame in calling myself a fair-weather barefoot runner.

On the Monterey Peninsula, conditions are pretty hospitable for kicking off your shoes almost year-round, with the exception of a few months of freezing temperatures on cold winter mornings. Without a doubt, though, summer is absolutely ideal for being a barefooter - and accordingly, I’ve been logging more barefoot miles than usual over the past several weeks.

Since summer is also a peak time for folks to spend lazy hours hanging around tourist spots or congregating in neighborhood parks, this is also the time of year when a barefoot runner can potentially draw a lot of attention. Such has been the case for me, which led to this week’s Monterey Herald column, which follows below:

Running Life 8/26/10 “Barefoot FAQ”
Last August we wrote about the barefoot revolution taking place in the running community, with a growing number of practitioners embracing the idea of running as our prehistoric ancestors did long before gel cushioning and pronation posts were ever conceived. I’ve been practicing barefoot running for about a year and a half now, and increasing my shoeless mileage significantly during the warm summer months.
However, while the barefoot movement may be expanding, it’s by no means mainstream. In fact, it’s sometimes difficult to finish a run without somebody expressing their surprise or bewilderment at the freak running around with naked feet. Occasionally those folks ask questions, which we’re summarizing here for the benefit of others who might be curious.
Hey - did someone steal your shoes? Of course not … but if it’s any consolation, you’re not the first person to ask. Actually, you’re not even the 100th. This question seems to be the universal calling card for smart-alecks trying to be hilarious. Next question.
So why do you do it? The short reason is, it’s pretty fun. There’s something inherently joyful about running around shoeless; it’s like pushing a magic “boost” button to amplify the childlike pleasure of running by a magnitude of 100.Some people do it after a history of injuries with shoes, and others try it to give the muscles of their feet and lower legs a unique workout – but for most of us, it’s all about the joy.
But doesn’t it hurt? Yes … and no. Barefoot running takes a LOT of getting used to, and you have to start in very small doses. When you first begin, you’ll feel every little crack and pebble in the road, and 99% of them will be uncomfortable. Even after a year, there are definitely some surfaces I try to avoid at all costs - gravel fire roads and chip and seal asphalt come to mind – because they just hurt too much. After a while, your feet grow resilient to a variety of surfaces, from asphalt to concrete to grass and groomed trails, but there’s always an additional caution factor that barefoot runners exercise.
Aren’t you afraid of broken glass? This is far and away the most common “You’re gonna shoot your eye out!” warning barefoot runners hear. Certainly we’re concerned about broken glass, as well as rusty nails or pieces of scrap metal – but those hazards aren’t nearly as common as some people imagine, and you’d be amazed at how effective your eyes are at spotting trouble spots on the road before you get there.
Do you get blisters? Yes … and no. New barefoot runners will certainly develop a few blisters when they get started; they’re your body’s built-in warning system to ensure that you progress gradually to prevent long-term injury. Experienced barefoot runners eventually become more resistant to blisters – the soles of your feet become a bit leathery – but even so, we’ll often get blisters if we run a lot farther or faster than usual.
Don’t your feet get cold? In some conditions, sure. It’s much harder to be a barefoot runner in the winter than in the summer. A handful of hardcore folks run barefoot in snow or freezing temperatures, but the vast majority of us spend the cold seasons in various types of minimalist footwear – no heel, no cushion - like Vibram FiveFingers, Soft Star moccasins, or other styles from other manufacturers. Thankfully, minimalist options are growing like crazy, and it’s not very hard to find some basic foot coverings to get you through the winter.

But when you’re fortunate enough to live on the Monterey Peninsula, the climate is amenable to barefoot running almost year-round, so you’ve got plenty of opportunities to give it a try!

Republished with permission from Donald of Running and Rambling
www.runningandrambling.com
www.runningandrambling.com/2010/08/barefoot-faq.html