Barefoot dictionary...

Piggyback RidePlease

Barefooters
Nov 13, 2010
In different cultures there are frequently more words for something than in cultures that do not need to embrace the same thing. I gather that the Eskimos have 942,343 words for snow, (or there abouts).

So, on to the Barefoot Dictionary.

I will start it off:

SLAPPER - In the UK I think that this sometimes refers to a certain kind of woman but lets not worry about that, no. Actually I'm not certain what kind of person it is. :party: The English language is full of multiple meanings so no need to stop now. In the barefoot dictionary I propose that it is any kind of foot ware that, while walking normally, makes a slapping noise on the pavement. :wink:

Feel free to add your own. :beer:

SHODDIE - Someone who wears

SHODDIE - Someone who wears shoes.

WINCERMINCER - The act of

WINCERMINCER - The act of selecting a surface that is a little beyond ones capability by a noob BF runner. To cross said surface the noob will wince and mince {peculiar gait} to cross it. Chip & seal comes to mind. Hmmm, that could be me. Dang. :shy:

Ha!

Ha!

You are too funny!  Keep 'em

You are too funny! Keep 'em coming!

gravelette - the tiny pieces

gravelette - the tiny pieces of gravel that burrow their way into that little middle spot on the soles of your feet.

stop and hop - what you do to get rid of the gravelette - it isn't pretty, even from a distance.

SALTED - The incident of

SALTED - The incident of having a piece of dry winter salt wedged in ones sole... and of course having to hop on one foot to dislodge it.

R.S.R. (Reluctant Shod Rehabilitation) - When due to blisters or sore feet, one must wear shoes again and feel awful doing it. This applies to minimalist shoes (recovering from blisters) and cushy trainers (recovering from TOFP, sore arch, generally tired feet, etc.)

Now that is funny!

Now that is funny!

Clydesdale - shod runners who

Clydesdale - shod runners who you see plodding along, swaying side to side with a look on their face that says "i gotta do this".

Thoroughbred or Quarterhorse - a shod runner who you can see heel striking yet is flowing along fairly gracefully.

Gazelle - bf runner who has his form down and makes you stop and stare in awe.

Waterbuffalo - newbie bf runner. nuff said.

Wilderbeast - bf runner who has made it past the blisters and has some distance to him but no grace to his form.

more to come.

Mike

I'm more like the wilderbeast

I'm more like the wilderbeast type. :-(

This thread is awesome!

This thread is awesome! Although now you have me wondering if I'm a wilderbeast... :(

If you're open for international contributions, I started using this one consistently this last December:

STREUSCHEIß: (German, pronounced stroy-shice; lit. shit-for-scattering) the tiny, pointy gravel that gets strewn on the pavement when there's ice to prevent slipping, which then conveniently remains on the sidewalks for weeks or even months after the ice has been long melted

Running gum - I've been

Running gum - I've been suffering what I think you might term metatarsalgia and I've done the resting for a few weeks so now I'm building up the distance again. I still keep getting the occasional mild "lump" feeling under my left foot...

Yesterday I went for another run and in no time I could feel that the lump seemed to be back. I had planned on doing 3 loops of an easy section of park but by the 2nd lap I knew it was time to bail out early...

On getting back to the car I dusted off my right foot, no problem. I then dusted off my left foot and as I was about to put it down I noticed a couple of "things" on it. The first was a tiny stone, no problem...

...The 2nd was a small bit of chewing gum which had to be peeled off! So I really did have a lump under my foot! :sick: Disgusting but funny :crazy: - well, I can laugh at myself!

Whew!  At least it was only

Whew! At least it was only gum.

Smoothometer - a pedometer

Smoothometer - a pedometer that you attempt to use for cadence checking but your foot fall is too gentle for the gadget to register properly. The reading divided by minutes running becomes inversely proportional to how smoothly your foot is landing (i.e. the lower the smoother) - I bet you don't get that with a heel strike!

I know my form is off and I've been trying to see what the problem is. The first time I ran with a pedometer it seemed my average cadence was about 160 bpm. Next time I took a metronome and ran at 190 bpm, when I looked at the pedometer it claimed my average cadence was now even lower at about 135! I no longer believe the pedometer, it's not sensitive enough for my light landings. Yay! :bigsmile: