Barefoot cool days

It's smart to take appropriate measures when it's too cold. For me, too cold depends on how much I've been in the cold barefoot. My feet are much more sensitive in the fall than the spring. In the fall, 50 can make me notice gravel. In the spring, it's more like 35. I remember Barefoot Rick talking about running in the snow in subzero temperatures. He also had some really ugly pictures of the frostbite on his blog. The biggest thing to be aware of is that numb feet are dumb feet. If they get numb, stop and put something on or you're likely to hurt yourself.

Yes certainly take appropriate measures. A bad case of frostbite on the feet will often result in amputation. :coldfeet: Everyone is a little different in what temperatures can be tolerated (and this varies depending on if its wet, on snow, windy, sunny and dry, etc) so it takes some experimentation and lots of caution to know the signs.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Weather, conditioning, duration and personal tolerance matter. 20℉ on a calm sunny not-too-early morning after several cold weeks for only a couple of miles would not be a problem for me. 35℉ on a wet windy night for a five miles after an early-season cold front passes might not be much fun.
I need gloves and a hat long before I need shoes. Fortunately, I live in the south. If it's too cold today for bare feet, I'll run tomorrow.

It depends how cold, what I'm doing, and how long I'm planning to be out. Last year I did several sub-freezing runs on snow, but if I was going more than a mile from home I'd carry emergency footwear. In winter I run barefoot as much as possible, but almost always wear footwear when going outside for other reasons because strolling along the street isn't enough activity to keep feet warm.

Damp is a bigger problem than cold. Dry streets at -1C feel a lot warmer than wet ones at +5C. Unfortunately, the cold weather means that streets take a long time to dry out between rain showers in winter.

Reactions: dutchie53
I need gloves and a hat long before I need shoes.

I spent quite a lot of last winter running in bare feet and ski gloves. A lot of people asked whether my feet were cold, and I'd say "no, but my hands are freezing!" I'm going to look for some enormous mittens for this year, so I can look even more ridiculous.

I sometimes wonder whether there's something wrong with the circulation in my hands. Last week I walked a couple of miles in a t-shirt at 12C (I went on a group run and then ate too many chips to want to run home) and my fingers went white, and tingly at the tips, despite keeping them shoved into my armpits most of the way. It was windy, but still, 12C isn't that cold. Feet in huraches weren't cold at all.

Reactions: BFGD
To answer the question, I have only run on a treadmill when it's been cold in the past.

This will be my first year trying to brave the (cold) elements with bare feet, as the result of an accidental experiment.

This year I've had a little soreness and sensitivity in my right heel and ankle. I started giving that foot an ice-bath. After a couple of months of icing my right foot every 2-3 days, I also developed some left foot soreness and figured I would put my left foot in the ice-bath.

To my surprise, I could submerge my right foot in the ice-bath indefinitely but I could only keep my left foot in the ice for mere seconds before the pain was too much to bear. It occurred to me that my feet might be able to take the cold if I just let them adjust to it. This is my first Fall season where I have not put my comfy slippers on in the house when the weather cooled.

I intend to go barefoot (carefully) as much as possible through the coming months here in Rhode Island. Even now, in 50F temps, my feet have not only been fine, they seem to be thriving. It was initially a weird little "mental" hurdle for me to NOT put on my comfy slipper at home but my feet quickly got on board.

Last edited:
Coldest barefoot walk was this morning with my dogs, 20 minutes, 38F (~4C). Went for a 5K run in about 45F at Noon.

If there is anything I am "doing" for this, it is accepting some slightly sore/cold/uncomfortable toes. That feels like the only action or decision I am making. Otherwise, the action I am NOT taking is putting footwear on my feet at home. Funny thing is, when it got down into the 50s(F), my toes felt a little cold and gave me pause; maybe I can't do this for very long?

Then it got down into the 40s and I had the same feeling (not worse, same). Cold feeling toes....*just enough* to remain conscious of my feet but no pain or alarms.

This morning, 38F for 20 minute outdoor walk, just a little cold feeling, again wondering how far I can go. Probably not much! Still, what a fascinating experiment. House slippers were a requirement for me last year and all the years before. First thing I would do at home is put on my slippers, but now I don't even think about it. Feels like I am going through a "shoe detox".

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Couple days ago it was a 3 mile run with windchill of -12°C. The day before it was a shorter run with windchill of -16°C. There have more runs with temps between 0°C and -5°C with walks in there as well. Keep in mind that I will only partake in runs at those temps if the roads are dry. Again a warning to those that will attempt runs below freezing, start with short runs and go further when feet are getting conditioned to runs in cold weather. Also feet that are conditioned with a lot of barefoot runs through the spring and summer seem to fare better in cold temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow dutchie53....inspirational! Honestly, today I'm proud of myself for taking a 25 minute barefoot walk with the dogs this morning in 32F (0C), but still hard to imagine anything colder (in spite of this morning's experience which was not bad at all).

And no, it is not lost on me at all that my dogs don't seem to need shoes at just about any temp. ;)

So I think I have just about reached my limit. This mornings 20 minute barefoot walk at about 18F (-7C) felt good overall but there seems to be a tiny bit of frostbite on the bottom of my left 2nd toe. I have worn shoes only twice this Fall: first time was after making it about 4 minutes through freshly fallen snow (about 3 inches deep) during a snowstorm before turning back for 2 more minutes of quickly getting home. Feet were fine but it did feel a little dangerous. 2nd time was the next morning with snow and slush on the ground.

Otherwise I have taken daily barefoot walks and experienced just what has been described here: there are "cold" colds and "warm" colds, wind and rain or dampness have a noticeable effect.

Just yesterday some older women who have been noticing my bare feet walked past me and one of them mentioned my feet (it was about 22F/-5C). Another of the women then glanced at my feet, and the look of disgust on her face was clear. Sort of a mix of disgust and shock maybe. It actually seemed involuntary, like what a kids face does after biting into a lemon. I think I am blowing people's minds over here, although we probably all know that the end result is people thinking we are literally insane....a much easier way for the mind to get past something that we are programmed to think is impossible.

I decided a few weeks back that I will not try running in the cold yet. I don't think I'm ready. I have taken just a few quick jogs in the cold so far but I am already suffering from Too Much Too Soon in nice weather and don't want to take any chances with cold feet!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS