Barefoot combat boots

ryantreb

Barefooters
Oct 25, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to build my feet up to be able to run barefoot and I've noticed that since my feet are free from the hours of 4pm to 5am that I HATE being in my boots. This led me to a search for some barefoot/ minimalist boots with a wide toe box. The closest things I've found, I don't really like that much. Too much heel, too much rubber.

I was wondering how much demand their might be in the military for a REAL minimalist boot and how to best develop one? I'm thinking about getting with a local manufacturer to try and develop a barefoot/minimalist combat boot. Just a simple leather boot with vents and a thin flat rubber sole or maybe a kevlar sole? Not sure which would add more protection from rocks and thorns. I was also wondering if anyone has done any ruck marches in minimalist shoes and what improvements you would make to them? I would ideally like to be able to make lighter, more flexible boots that have less protection for those like me who sit at a desk all day and another boot with more protection in the sole for grunts. What do you think?

ryantreb wrote:I was

ryantreb said:
I was wondering how much demand their might be in the military for a REAL minimalist boot and how to best develop one? I'm thinking about getting with a local manufacturer to try and develop a barefoot/minimalist combat boot. Just a simple leather boot with vents and a thin flat rubber sole or maybe a kevlar sole? Not sure which would add more protection from rocks and thorns. I was also wondering if anyone has done any ruck marches in minimalist shoes and what improvements you would make to them? I would ideally like to be able to make lighter, more flexible boots that have less protection for those like me who sit at a desk all day and another boot with more protection in the sole for grunts. What do you think?

I currently wear the Nike SFB. It's closest I've found to a minimal boot (16 oz.)

If you do follow thru with developing a boot, I'd be happy to wear test a pair for you. ;)

The idea of creating a boot for garrison environment and a boot for field environment is great, by the way.

I've heard about the SFBs.

I've heard about the SFBs. I'm thinking about buying some. I appreciate the feedback and I'll keep you in mind if I ever get a boot developed. I looked up the Army reg, and they require a "volcanized rubber heel" but there is no specification about how thick it has to be. I guess kevlar is out of the question then. Probably easier to develop without that anyway.

I've heard about the SFBs.

I've heard about the SFBs. I'm thinking about buying some. I appreciate the feedback and I'll keep you in mind if I ever get a boot developed. I looked up the Army reg, and they require a "volcanized rubber heel" but there is no specification about how thick it has to be. I guess kevlar is out of the question then. Probably easier to develop without that anyway.