Barefeet on wood chips

Last summer I would take my toddler to a little park just down from my house about half a mile. I remember it hurting like he** to walk in the playground area because of all the woodchips. I haven't really run or done much barefoot anything for the last few weeks due to an injury so I thought for sure when I walked through the playground today it would hurt something fierce. Much to my surprise the wood chips didn't really bother me at all and I chased my son around on it no problem. I guess this will be my "bucket training" while I am still not able to run much because of the injury. I also walked around in the wooded area behind the park and really enjoyed just walking on natural surfaces. So much to feel on natural ground. I guess I feel a connection or something to it (no I'm not some weird hippy ;)). IMG_2566.JPG

Nick, I gotta warn you - I really do find syringes in the wood chips, often, I'm afraid. Syringes, broken glass, and prophylactics. Playgrounds have a night shift, and it's not very good.

You need to run in a nicer neighbourhood =P

However, I don't like to run on grass because I can't see what I'm about to step on, so I think the same would apply for me on wood chips, even if it was just comparatively harmless rocks/thorns.

I do live in a pretty nice neighborhood, but I do realize that some parks are visited at night by unsavory characters. I think location and visibility make a huge difference in this. This particular park is very visible and right next to an elementary school. There is a park another mile away that is hidden so to speak and I most definitely do not run barefoot off the paved trail there. I have found a needle wrapper in that park. Scary. Andy, I do like to run on grass. The unknown forces me to run with better form and to relax. I used to hate running on it though so I can see your point.

We have the same on some playgrounds and a few trails around here. I find that when the wood chips are new they can be unbearable but after they've been in place for a few months and worn down by foot traffic and weather it's not too bad (though I'd never call it pleasant).

One of my favorite running trails has a short segment that used to be gravel. I wasn't fond of the gravel part but embraced it as part of the BF running experience. (Light and easy, light and easy.) A few weeks ago they replaced the gravel with newly shredded wood chips. Oh, how I miss the lovely, lovely gravel! There's not enough light and easy in my world to deal with running on those sharp, splintery, freshly shredded pieces. I gingerly walked that section of the trail as best I could and have avoided that area of the trail ever since. I'm hoping by summer that segment will be bearable again.

Peace,
Karen

I have to tell you a funny story. When my eldest was turning 7, we were getting things ready for her birthday party. She asked me if we could get "Whiskey Bottles for Kids" for the party. What? Whiskey Bottles for Kids? I asked her if she meant those little wax bottles where you bite the wax and some sickeningly sweet juice comes out. Nope. Whiskey bottles. For kids. Um, what do you mean honey?

Then she explains. "You know, Mom - the Whiskey Bottles for Kids. The little ones, about the size of my hand. The ones you find all squished when you get out of your car in the parking lot, and we always find them under the slide at school."

Riiiiiiiiighty. Whiskey bottles for kids.

I find quite a few of those 'whiskey bottles for kids' around the park behind my house as well. Drives me nuts, i take my 5 year old to the park and have to pick up bottles (both broken and not), cans, and my favorite bottle caps that are thrown all over the place. Damn kids, and yes I used to be one, but at least I brought my bottles home or put them in the garbage, 'No respect I say, I get no respect!'(in the immortal words of Rodney Dangerfield).

Nike has a two mile track around it's campus that is full of wood chips. i avoid it now as it sucks both bf and shod. too soft and too many splinters.