Back to running again

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Neil_D, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

After quite a bit of disruption this year caused by a house move, an illness, and a telephone company that took 4 months to get me a working telephone line, followed by another 3-4 weeks to get an internet connection, I was beginning to thin it would be faster to get back online in Outer Mongolia.
    The running came to a bit of a stop as well due to some horrible winter weather and a virus that I got that managed to disable all facial movements to the right side of my face.
    I'm back now and the running is taking shape again. It takes a little while to find new places to run when one moves to a new part of the city and the comfortable familiar places are left behind.
    My new area actually has more options for both beach running and cross country.
    The cross country requires my vibrams as the ground is very stony and made for fire trucks not bare feet. Yesterday I went on the hilly cross country run only to find that the trail was so overgrown with spring weeds that it was impassable. I started down the trail pushing through 2m high yellow flowered weeds (it may have been wild canola). After 100m of fighting I suddenly had a horrible thought, the place is a haven for deadly Brown snakes that are lethal and I'm in an overgrown valley where if I got bitten I'd probably not get discovered for months. I turned tail and ran back to the main fire trail.
    As I stared to run back I came across another runner coming up the hill towards me. I asked to tag along and if he knew of any other trails. He pointed me to another fire track after a kilometre of running and I took this road back. It was a beautiful quiet trail that gradually weaved its way down through the hills emerging only a few 100m from my house. The run would have been around 8km but it was a steep climb to the top and except for the one runner I didn't see another person.
    Tomorrow I meet up with David and Cathy for a barefoot run around the lake that was in my old area, looking forward to running that again.

Neil

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

I'm glad you are alright. I wondered where you went.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

It was my first house move in 25 years and it was very disruptive, not to mention stressful. It is amazing how much junk you can secrete away after that period of time.
    The new house is good, more space and much better insulated than my old place. I must have been a pain in the ass to the builder with delays caused by my windows arriving late from Poland and all the extra insulation I demanded to be put on the house. It was worth it though.
    Neil

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

I dread moving too. So much work. I've donated so much stuff to Goodwill recently.

5. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Arrgh I am trying to get over another injury. Running can be such a fine line between going well and breaking down.
    Just as we were heading into spring and I was looking forward to getting some mileage in I have to stop to sort out a knee problem.
    I think it is a bout of runners knee.
    It all started when I was out on my evening run. I was running on the brick pavement when I rounded a tree I hit some uneven bricks and landed with a slight knee twist on my right leg, ouch, that hurt.
    I managed to limp back to my car then took it easy for a couple of weeks, I went on a few short runs and stopped each time my knee would ache. Eventually the knee problem cleared up but then transferred to the other leg. My runners knee that is causing me pain is on the left leg. Over the last month I have been mainly doing gym work, leg extensions and presses to strengthen the quads. I feel that my knee cap is not tracking right, the tendon and muscle is not keeping it as straight as it should be and so it is rubbing and getting inflamed.
    It is very annoying and frustrating, it will seem ok but every now and again it will send a pain up my leg. Stretching before the run seems to help and its ok after a kilometre.
    Hopefully better news to report in a few weeks.

Regards

Neil

6. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Well, that sucks! Just a string of bad luck, perhaps. Too bad it comes at the best part of the year for you Aussies. What about physical therapy? If your knee is off track, they can help you get it back on track, hopefully without surgery.

7. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi TJ,
    I think I am getting on top of it. I went out for a run today, only 6km but other than a slight tinge at the beginning it was fine. It was my lungs that were having a hard time keeping up with my legs. The gym exercises work, I always find that it is better to learn how to fix yourself rather than hand over responsibility to someone else. It can be useful for finding out the techniques though, I remembered some of the exercises from when I had runners knee when I was 18 so I just applied the same technique along with checking with Dr Google. Surgery would be the last option. I have known 2 people in my immediate acquaintances that have had ACL surgery (you can get it done quickly if you have health cover but not much chance if like me you rely on the public system) recently, one just for kicking a football and the other doing marshal arts. Running is the safer of all the sports and if you maintain the strength with weight training it should give some protection.

Cheers

Neil

Barefoot TJ likes this.