Back to Back Marathons

janson

Barefooters
Sep 21, 2011
I'm thinking about doing a Saturday marathon in October, followed by a Sunday marathon the next day. Anyone with experiance in this have any tips? I can register for the Sunday one Saturday night, so I'm planning to register last minute only if I feel up to it, but I'm looking at how to best feel up to another one after running the first. I figure back to back long training runs would be a place to start, and maybe taking the first race kinda easy.

taking the first race kind of easy would be the key for me, and I wouldn't even consider doing it if I didn't have a few months of positive feedback from my legs, so to speak. I mean, unless I was really, really fit. But generally, if you don't go for a PR in the first one, and have had good experiences recovering from marathons, I don't think you have much to worry about - sounds like fun, actually!

A little plan that I have on the back boiler is to drive to a town where a certain trail begins, run 50k to a place where I'll have a tent set up with supplies. Sleep in the tent overnight, get up with the sun and run back to my car. Then drive down and pick up my tent.

Note that i wrote 50K ;)

Reactions: janson
I personally have never done it, but it's not uncommon and allot of people do back to backs. The only advice I have heard is run the first one as your strongest, or I'd you are going for a certain time, then the second is a long 26.1 mile recovery run and just relax and enjoy it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test