back of the knee twingeyness

Lomad

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
So, I'm back to minimal/zero drop running in the last few weeks. i've noticed a bit of a 'pulling sensation' at the back of my left knee. It almost feels as if the hamstring and calf are opposing each other and pulling whatever it is in that zone a little tight. It doesn't hurt, really, and it doesn't affect my gait/stride at all; it just keeps my distance shorter (I quit if it doesn't feel right).

I know stretching is a 4-letter word and/or a controversial topic, but it has helped a myriad of other aches and twinges around this old body so i'm kind of looking for suggestions to improve mobility in that zone (rear half of the leg).

My questions are:
1. What's the likely issue (in a vague internet diagnosis sort of way)?
2. How can i help it go away?

When you say the calf and hamstring are almost "opposing each other" do you mean you feel this tightness when your leg is straight? If so - I had that sensation when I'd pulled the Popliteus muscle. As I understand it it's right behind the knee. I found it was pretty easy to dig around in there with my thumbs. Maybe you poke around and see if you can recreate the sensation?

It may be a long shot but..................

Jim

It went away. I think it was calf tightness on my return to minimal and low drop (now zero drop) running. The calf was tight and constricting all over. It occurred on the 'return swing' of my trailing leg, usually, for reference.

Hi Littleshoe jones -

Glad that you are no longer feeling the pain behind your knee. As you suggested it was most likely muscle tightness or adhesions within the muscle. When differentiating which muscle may be causing the pain you want to pay close attention to when in gait you feel the pain. Yours was during the early swing phase when your knee is actively flexing - which is either the gastrocnemius or hamstring muscles. If the hamstrings were the culprit you would experience more of a tendon insertional pain versus with the gastrocnemius it is more of a muscle "tightness".

Concern muscle adhesions and tightness is always the nerves. So make sure you do trigger point release or myofascial release to keep the muscles mobile, free of adhesions and of course, pain free!

Again glad to hear you are feeling better!