Autism Walk in Des Moines

Please feel free to post a thread in the Iowa Chapter too if you'd like.

Reactions: trevize1138
The Autism walk in MN is always at the Mega Mall but I wonder if they'd allow barefoot for the event?

As a side-note my daughter and I are both on the spectrum and I got her a pair of Xero sandals this summer. Part of the reason for the sandals is, of course, I don't want her growing up with the same foot and ankle issues I'm finally reversing but when you have autism you already can't quite trust the signals from your own body. It makes things worse when you wear shoes that deaden the sensation you get from the ground and provide an unknown distance of foam for your feet to awkwardly adjust to. I'm curious to see if some of her characteristic "clumsy" nature partially due to autism will be helped with thin-soled sandals. I'll get her some Prios or other minimalist shoes for the school year, too.

The Autism walk in MN is always at the Mega Mall but I wonder if they'd allow barefoot for the event?

As a side-note my daughter and I are both on the spectrum and I got her a pair of Xero sandals this summer. Part of the reason for the sandals is, of course, I don't want her growing up with the same foot and ankle issues I'm finally reversing but when you have autism you already can't quite trust the signals from your own body. It makes things worse when you wear shoes that deaden the sensation you get from the ground and provide an unknown distance of foam for your feet to awkwardly adjust to. I'm curious to see if some of her characteristic "clumsy" nature partially due to autism will be helped with thin-soled sandals. I'll get her some Prios or other minimalist shoes for the school year, too.
Have you checked out Tyler's Barefoot Autism Challenge on Facebook? He held a very successful month-long event. Many people with autism have found that freeing their soles also frees their soul.

Reactions: Tyler J L

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11