Atlantic City Marathon

Barefoot Everett

Barefooters
Jan 13, 2012
Mt. Misery, NJ
I finished the AC Marathon Sunday in 3:28:31 a new PR though this time I ran the entire race in Luna Sandals Venados. I usually run bf or switch between the Lunas and bf as the terrain changes. The couse is definetly barefootable but I wouldn't have been able to keep my pace in a few spots. I was really focused on a time goal of sub 3:30 so I opted to keep them on. The course was cool it was kind of an out and back including about 10-12 miles of boardwalk. We started in the middle headed north and did a loop around the marina district back past the start south to Margate with another big loop at the bottom with some overlapping sections where you could see and cheer on other runners 2-3 miles ahead or behind you then back north up the boardwalk to the finish in front of Bally's and Ceasars. That being said the weather conditions were horrible. We were fighting a nor'easter storm and while the rains gave way to perfect sunshine the 30 - 40 mph winds remained and seemingly were never at your back. It was relentless and at times almost knocked you down. Several times runners were pushed into each other by the wind. Some places alone the dunes you had to cover your face from the wind blown sand. I ran it with my running club and out of 20+ runners everyone was at least 15min off of there goal time except me for some reason. I know i had to put out much more effort than should have been required to run that pace. Usually my focus on a long run it to try to be as efficient and use as little muscle as possible but the last 10k into the wind i had to crouch down low lean forward with my head down and just keep pushing with my quads as hard as I could. I saw 1 other runner finish around the 5hr mark barefoot but not sure if he did the whole thing bf or not I tried to find him in the crowd but couldnt. I would recommend the race as long as you weren't running it in the middle of a storm. Next up Marine Corps Marathon this time running for fun and not even carrying my sandals.

Congrats, Everett! That wind/sand storm sounds like fun though.

Nice time!

Sorry about your storm only a little further north, in NYC, it was breezy but bone dry. Everyone here thinks the Nor'easter was a complete hoax!

Everett,

MCM is a good barefoot course...

For 22 miles...

It then turns into asphalt gravel hell for three miles, then goes back to a great barefoot course.

See you out there!

Have fun on the climb to Iwo... Forgot that last .2 sucks for the road as well (not only incline but surface)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS