Athens Half

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by j.paul, Jun 17, 2014.

1. j.paul

j.paul Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Its been a goal of mine to do the Athens Half barefoot, I did the chic-filet half in Athens last April ( Killer Hills) in a pair of Skeletoes. Any suggestions for getting my feet conditioned to go completely barefoot?

Thanks! Glad to find Yall on here!

2. mokaman

mokaman Chapter Presidents
    1. Georgia

I think the Athens half is in October so you have some time to build your sole conditioning up. What kind of distance/surfaces are you doing barefoot ? Are you just trying to finish or get a fast time?

I have driven most of the roads for that race but haven't ran them to know the roughness of the surfaces but they look about average pavement...if you can run or have a look at the different parts of the course that would be helpful.

Mostly you will need to slowly build your longer runs up to at least 9-10 miles barefoot on at least as rough a surface and the hopefully something rougher part of the time.

Terry

3. j.paul

j.paul Barefooters
    1. Georgia

I think my problem in the past was doing too much to fast, During the winter months I was running 3 miles barefoot on the treadmill with no problem. I did 3 miles on pavement by Cedar Shoals drive with no issues the next week I tried 6 and tore my feet up some, Should have done a more gradual increase I know. Thanks for the response, Any other suggestions for toughening up my feet? Have you ever tried Tuff- Foot?

4. mokaman

mokaman Chapter Presidents
    1. Georgia

I had to look up Tuff- Foot as i never heard of it before...nope wouldn't recommend that. It just takes consistent mileage increases and good running form to build up.

You have about 4 months till the race so I would recommend you do all your running barefoot on pavement similar to the race course...you don't need higher mileage per run yet but need to get some weekly mileage in spread over 3 to 5 runs building up to around 20 miles a week and see how the sole conditioning improves. It usually takes a good 6 to 8 weeks to get some decent sole conditioning going. You will need to try to improve your barefoot running form unless it spot on now...that will help keep the wear and tear down.

I get over to Athens to run errands about every 2 or 3 weeks...if you want to go for a run sometime let me know.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  5. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

There are two trains of thought on conditioning the soles, JP:

Some would say you should just suck it up, put in the work, and take the time to naturally condition your soles. You will be more in tune with your running if you put the time into it, and therefore, you will be less apt to be injured while transitioning.

Others would say you can do the same thing in a shorter amount of time, and we have found this to be true, by using techniques such as gravel bucket training. Check out this member, Todd Ragsdale, who did just that within about 3 months' time and covered 102 miles on coarse, gritty track to boot, to set a new Guinness World Record for the longest barefoot run! http://thebarefootrunners.org/threads/102-mile-barefoot-ultra-no-simple-feat.5549/#post-55833 Pictures included.

Welcome again!