Asked to wear shoes at YMCA after +4 years

BFGD

Barefooters
Nov 6, 2017
Barrington, RI
It finally happened....I was told at the local YMCA that I must wear shoes on the treadmill, after more than 4 years of nobody saying anything (I run in SNOX socks that have a tiny bit of traction on bottom). This probably happened because I went during “grumpy old people time”. I commented to my wife as we entered that I have never been to the Y in the middle of the day like this.

Anyway, I got someone to agree that if I have a doctor’s note saying I need to run without shoes I would be OK but my Doctor is a hard NO on that, without a legitimate medical reason, which I do not have.

I think I’m going to call some podiatrists though....maybe I can be a trailblazer instead of a whiner. Seems unlikely but I’ll give it a shot!

Well, the first Podiatrist I called was nice enough to bypass the evaluation and simply say they will not write a note to go against the rules of Big Broth...errr....I mean the YMCA.

What gets my goat is that I’ve been running on the treadmills in socks for years at this location. I’m a little tempted to go back with my Xero running sandals and start to REALLY make a scene!

Edit - but honestly, after some thought maybe I’ll get something minimal and stop rocking the boat! I certainly understand everyone’s position which is basically dictated by insurance companies. So if I really want a rational explanation for this foolishness, and somebody says “for insurance purposes”, then that is a perfectly rational argument. C’est la vie, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Random
Well, the first Podiatrist I called was nice enough to bypass the evaluation and simply say they will not write a note to go against the rules of Big Broth...errr....I mean the YMCA.

What gets my goat is that I’ve been running on the treadmills in socks for years at this location. I’m a little tempted to go back with my Xero running sandals and start to REALLY make a scene!

Edit - but honestly, after some thought maybe I’ll get something minimal and stop rocking the boat! I certainly understand everyone’s position which is basically dictated by insurance companies. So if I really want a rational explanation for this foolishness, and somebody says “for insurance purposes”, then that is a perfectly rational argument. C’est la vie, right?
Did you talk to the actual owner?

Reactions: Random