Article: Winter Barefoot Running Challenge By Barefooting Bob, with credits to Smelph, Running Baref

Barefoot Mary

Barefooters
Jul 27, 2010
Denver, CO
Awesome report & nice recap! I was thinking about this challenge the other day...I'm glad I gave it a go this year. Maybe next year I can go for more than a mile at a time between warming up my feet in water shoes. Feeling bare feet on snow & ice is a priceless feeling everyone should experience :)

Thanks so much -- this is the kind of report I knew that we would be able to generate on the forum. Though I didn't participate in the challenge, I discovered many of these same things.

The one thing I would emphasize more is the stuff about clothes. For me #15 should be in bold. I've got to keep my core and arms and legs warm in order for my feet to heat up. It may not be the most physiologically efficient way to run, but if you keep the rest of your body warm your few exposed extremities can do a lot.

Nice job keeping track of all this!

I'm not sure about the 'slightly demented' comment but I agree with the rest.

For me, keeping the core temp up is most important and getting over the first part of a hike or run before the feet increase their blood flow. Loss of sensation is a warning sign to warm up or risk damage.

This was a comment that I heard quite often throughout the winter. People could not quite figure out why I would want to put my feet and body through running in the winter let alone barefoot.

way to do the winter half marathon Lou! This thing urned out great! Kudos to Bob for putting it all together!

Aw, I thought I was done with this S**tfor the year. I guess you Cannucks are still seeing slush on the roads, eh?

Very good report, though, evenfor all the bad memories you stirred up.

Wish I would have kept up with tracking my runs... well, the few others that I missed reporting anyways. Health held me down for a long stretch, but I look forward to applying the knowledge gained from the Canuck Crew during next winter. Thanks for the report.

This gives me a lot of hope for dealing with Ohio weather. My feet get numb in 45 degrees fahrenheit or less, so this tells me I need to stop whinging and start running - worst case scenario I could do daily 1 mile runs regardless of temperature. I love the idea of bringing warm footwear in case of numbness. I never thought of that, or wristbands on the ankles. (duh). This might be one of the most useful and inspiring posts I've read yet! - Thanks so much for doing the running, the tracking, the metric converting, and the reporting!!