Article: Joint and Tissue Repair - Enough to Make You "GAG" By Dr. Stephen Gangemi

Chaserwilliams

Barefooters
Dec 15, 2010
Great stuff Dr Gangemi! Interestingly enough I hadnt even thought about the correlation between my recent injury and the fact that I had ran the last 25% of my last 2 runs at an anaerobic pace, which is rare for me for the past few months... Thanks for the great break down!

Hey, Dr. Gangemi!

Is it possible that supplementation of glucosamine, msm, chondritin etc. would inhibit or reduce your body's ability to restore joint health. Let's say you have a pretty good diet that includes many of the foods that you listed, but you decide to supplement with the aforementioned supplements because there's no such thing as too much of a good thing. Would the presence of supplemented joint repair compounds cause downregulation or inhibit your body's ability to repair its own joints? Do you know of any studies or sources I could visit for more information?

Thanks,

Woody

Hi Woody, actually in this case there is such thing as "too much of a good thing" and this pertains to most supplements actually. Here is what I responded to a reader on the SockDoc site who asked me a similar question, and one I should have addressed in the post.

Taking this stuff month after month, especially year after year is not healthy. I have seen numerous patients react to these supplements, most often with problems in their pancreas (blood sugar metabolism – makes sense as you learned from reading the post). So don’t think that more is better. It isn’t. And definitely don’t think that if it doesn’t work then it won’t cause a problem, because it very well could be, especially after all those years.

Thank you for taking the time to write this up, wow! I'll be linking to it often, I'm sure. Your conclusions and recommendations are very much in line with Phil Maffetone's methods. In fact, I'll post the link in that thread now, just in case anyone there didn't see your article :)