Article in American Airlines Magazine

Wait, we need cushioning and

Wait, we need cushioning and shock absorbtion when our foot is in the air? Last I checked thats part of the gait cycle.

I guess its a good change, but the blatant use of "barefoot shoes" is a bit annoying. And the critic person isn't very informed, but I don't suppose that any of the informed people would be very skeptical of a move towards minimal.

And an add for a minimal hiking boot?! What a crime! I don't care much what you wear for running, but if you aren't gonna have super thick hiking boots, take it all off! You'll never know what you're missing until you try! And once you try I gauruntee you'll never go back! (Sorry, I realize its not actually related to the article, but seriously, barefoot hiking is amazing.)

Mike wrote:I have never

Mike said:
I have never hiked barefoot... What sort of terrain do you hike on? Or does it even matter?

My terrain is a mixture of alot of things, sharp jagged rocks, rooty trails, dirt trails, gravel mixed with pine cones, some long stretches of dirt, hilly and level. Mostly a mixture of roots and rock on dirt in general. Alot of branches and some brushy trails at a place called Brushy Mountain, there's a prison named after it lol.

lownox wrote:I was on a

lownox said:
I was on a flight this morning and read this article in the AA magazine. Opinions?

The writer seems to have fallen down on the job by believing whatever the PR dept at the shoe companies had to say, which was that it was "countless studies" that convinced Nike to change, and that "barefoot shoes" are not an oxymoron.

Of course it's always possible the article was much better but got cut down or redirected by the editor. Happens all the time, and it seems likely here, since since the focus seems to be on golf shoes, and out of the blue comes a quote from the podiatrist about not being a fan of barefoot running.

People can wear shoes. I'm cool with that. But as an occasional feature writer myself, I'd say that believing press releases is a total sin, yes, even if you're writing for an airline magazine.

It looks like marketing to

It looks like marketing to me. Kinda like "let's try this and see if anybody will buy the premise and maybe, even, buy the high margin product!"

All the shoes on there are a

All the shoes on there are a joke when being compared to barefoot, there no where even close to barefoot, what are they thinking? Do they really think people are that stupid?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts