Article: Fat Ass By John "stjohnthegambler" Yohe

Tfox

Barefooters
Apr 9, 2011
I've thought about getting together with some people to organize a free unofficial race like this but I didn't know how to handle land permissions and insurance. Do they just run on public land and forget insurance or do the sponsoring companies pay for it?

You know, I'm not sure. It WAS on public land (a park), and Running Fit did bring out their van o' goodies, but I don't think it was insured in any way. I was kinda thinking of that, like, what happens if someone has a heart attack and dies? But, again, it's free, a group of running freaks just getting together. What I liked is that the organizers did at least have that sign up sheet so that they could make sure someone wasn't lost out there. They checked to make sure everyone finished.

It would be unfortunate if litigation came in the way of something like that. I'd say just go for it, put the word out and do it in a public place.

John

That's kind of what I figured. It's sad but in this day and age it seems like you have to always protect yourself from getting sued even when you have the best of intentions. I think that these unofficial events are great but my running buddies don't seem to get it. They can't grasp the concept that we don't need an after race meal, goodie bags, timing setup, etc. People get so caught up in all the details that they forget the reason we race is mostly just to run with other people.

Hey, that was a good read, thanks :)

I'm wondering if FAT ASS is an acronym for something, or just a goofy name someone thought up?

Also, thirty minutes lost over three miles??? That's a blow-out if ever I heard of one! Doesn't even seem possible unless you had to climb over a small mountain or scale a high tower or something. So I was thinking, maybe it was the chicken soup. With a good veggie minestrone you would have held through ;)

Oh yeah, it would be interesting to know how your cold progressed after this. The standard mindest would predict that it got a lot worse. But I think you would have mentioned it if it had.