Article: Detroit Marathon By John "stjohnthegambler" Yohe

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
Thanks for the excellent blow by blow. I have no idea how you manage to remember so much about your runs. My mind seems to wash cleanas I run and I can scarcely remember even the ohmygods in the middle. It all seems to blur into a general (((nice runningrocks!!!almost...ah!finished....))) Nothing anyone would read, I'm sure!

Thanks everyone. I think knowing that I'm going to be writing about the experience helps me remember. Plus I try to write about it later that day, or at least the next. There's stuff I left out that I remember now, like the belly dancers, and the goth cheerleaders on Bell Isle, but who wants to really hear me talk about women again? :)

I only hope this was helpful to others, so we can get some more BFers out there representin'! Glad you enjoyed!

John

A few things I would like to know, though...

Do you carb load? If so, how?

Do you drink anything for pre-run, while you run, etc? (Gu, fruit, stinger waffles...)

I love the detail of your story! Thanks for sharing!

-Jonny

Great Story, thanks for sharing the experience. It's amazing how just being seen running a marathon barefoot inspired and encouraged so many of our minimalist brothers and sisters. Let us know if you make the paper and get those piggies into a hot salt bath pronto!

PS. I've never done a marathon, but am hoping to in the next year and your article helped me acknowledge i could run it barefoot with enough hard work.

Jonny,

No, I don't carb load. But, I'm not sure I shouldn't. I tend to just eat 'normal' the day before.

I drink a green tea on the way over to a race, which usually, hopefully get me ready to 'empty' myself (if you know what I mean) right before the race. My main concern is not having to pee after the race has started, which sucks valuable minutes, so I don't drink anything an hour before the race. And lately I've just been drinking water during races, avoiding gatorade and anything with suger. the only thing I would eat during a marathon is fruit.

Again, whether all this is the right thing to do, I don't know. Hope this helps!

john

johnsbarefootrunningblog.blogspot.com