Article: 1st Annual NYC Barefoot Run By Nathan "Macmhagan" Matthews

DNEchris

Barefooters
Jun 25, 2010
Bronxville NY
I suspect your runner 242 was Mike Kim who did his first ever barefoot run on 8/11 with Chris McDougall from Harlem to Brooklyn. If I had a picture of his feet after that it would probably take first place in the "Definitive Gross Picture" Thread!

I left the island at about 1pm and he was still going round but getting close to calling it a day at about 21 miles - his second barefoot run. Smiling, but hurting - a very determined ex-marine!

As one involved on the periphery of the organisation of the event (my footprints were on most of the signs) I would like to report, using the English vernacular, that "It were a blast!" John and Maggie got all the organisational details right, they even had contacts to provide perfect weather, and I think everyone had a great time. The non-competitive atmosphere created a great vibe.

Roll-on the second NYCBarefoot Run!

Mike just e-mailed me to say he actually did 27.3 miles last Sunday. He recovered well and now plans to do all his races barefoot. This is not your typical introduction to barefoot running!

Way to go Michael Kim! I could use some of that determination - I need to build up my feet yin a yang.

It is quite amazing to me how universal the feelings are of freedom, excitement, and joy among barefoot runners - that such a simple thing as taking off your shoes and running with a different form can be so transformative.