Army Study Goes Big, Recommends Barefoot

Discussion in 'Front Page News' started by Barefoot TJ, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

BarefootWalkingOnAsphalt.JPG
    Army Study Goes Big, Recommends Barefoot
    By Dr. Michael Nirenberg, DPM

Whether storming the beaches of Normandy or sweeping across the Kuwaiti border, the U.S. Army is known for making big, bold statements. Take their latest medical research as further proof. This study was huge and thorough. The study sampled over 2,500 people, all of them serious runners. The average person in the study had been a runner for eight years! Army physicians evaluated the incidence of injuries in runners who wore traditional shoes, minimalist and no shoes at all. Did barefoot runners prove to be the healthiest yet again?

Score Another One for Barefoot

As you might have guessed by my enthusiastic buildup, the answer is a resounding “Yes!” Runners who opted for minimalist footwear and no shoes at all fared bar better than their shod peers. It wasn’t only in the feet, either. Those who reported their preference for wearing supportive, cushioned running shoes had more injuries in the foot, ankles, lower leg area, knees and even hips! Sometimes when I read these studies, I wonder if there shouldn’t be a Public Service Announcement warning about the dangers of your thick, cozy running shoes. For more, please continue reading here: http://www.americaspodiatrist.com/2013/01/army-study-goes-big-recommends-barefoot/

2. Jeepmonkey

Jeepmonkey Barefooters

That's great, but they'll still probably never let us wear minimalist or even go barefoot for P.T. :(

3. NickW

NickW Guest

Glad I'm not in anymore. I turned more ankles being forced to wear those stupid boots with heel lift and the ill fitting shoes.

Phil Hart likes this.
  4. Phil Hart

Phil Hart Barefooters
    1. Georgia
    2. North Carolina

Glad to see Don Goss (now promoted to Lieutenant Colonel - Hooah!) referenced as I participated in his study. As we always say, "It may not be the right way, but it's the Army Way!" Even the old Army can change, given enough time and pressure.

Barefoot TJ and NickW like this.
  5. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

That's right, Phil. After all, they allow women in now. That was a big, hard change for them. Ha!

Phil Hart likes this.
  6. inakilt

inakilt Barefooters
    1. Virginia

Phil Hart likes this.
  7. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

That post was from August 11, 2011. Love the photo. Check out the Vibrams:

Soldier Dog Vibrams.jpg

Phil Hart and NickW like this.
  8. migangelo