are you barefooters or barefoot runners?

Discussion in 'Barefootedness' started by narrowtoeboxisstupid, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Larry

Larry
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

Runner mostly, although I do get around barefoot quite a bit in the summer. Most of the time I'm wearing vivos when I'm out of the house these days, and I've never tried going barefoot at work.

Tristan likes this.
  2. Efrem

Efrem
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...

I only run barefoot these days but I was a full-time barefooter for almost 8 years, and an active member of SBL. I wear only minimalist shoes shoes in daily life now. Vivobarefoot, Lems, Carets. When I run, I am barefoot 100% of the time. Most of my running for the last few years is on hilly trails in a canyon, some of it quite rocky. In the past when I lived in more urban areas I ran on pavement, and I used to get a piece of glass in my foot every few months. I even bought a magnifying light and a good quality set of tweezers for pulling glass out. I got to be pretty good at it. I don't race much anymore but when I enter local trail races I typically come in the top 20 or so. I don't really do any road races any more except for one half-marathon this year. I have run a few marathons barefoot, the last in 2013.

Tristan and Larry like this.
  3. trevize1138

trevize1138
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

I'm mostly in it for unshod running training as I've improved so incredibly much as a runner thanks to taking off the shoes. I also go barefoot the rest of the time as much as is reasonable. I don't like to push boundaries by being barefoot at businesses or anything like that but I'm not opposed to going for walks around town with the family barefoot in the summer.

Efrem and Tristan like this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Old post but appears I've not participated yet so... Mostly barefoot everything. When it comes to outside activities I am barefoot for all as long as the temperature is warm enough. I run down to about 20ºF barefoot then go to minimalist shoes. I cycle barefoot, has to be above 60ºF or higher due to windchill, but I don't often cycle other than summer anyhow. I also do all my hiking barefoot, kayaking, gardening, photography & birding walks, etc. If I have to go into an establishment I usually slip on some minimalist sandals but have been known to pop into a small place barefoot. I work shift in a business environment and while on days have to wear business casual so shod then but always minimalist shoes (no one has minded my minimalist dress shoes yet though sometimes they attract questions). I kick off the shoes usually when at my desk. But half the time I am on nights and almost always barefoot in the office (plus on the weekends).

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Efrem and Pawmaline like this.
  5. Pawmaline

Pawmaline
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Belgiüm-Vlaa...

I want to be barefoot 100% of the time and never wear anything on my feet. I was like that for a short time only during last summer, as that's when I discovered the joys of being barefoot. But the recovery from my long-time illness is very slow and my inner fire is just not hot enough yet to withstand the autumn and winter cold, even indoors my feet just freeze.

So I wear socks and minimalist sports sandals to cope with the cold, and to be able to run. But I do feel myself getting stronger gradually, I can finally digest fats again such as nuts and seeds and more protein-rich foods like frozen peas, instead of nothing but fruit as in the past years. So I hope next spring will be the start of a truly barefoot life.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Random, trevize1138 and Efrem like this.