Anyone ride motorcycles?

Jennn

Barefooters
Feb 24, 2011
As the weather gets nicer I find myself riding more often. I'm wondering if anyone else rides, and what do you do about footwear when you do?

For safety reasons, I will not wear any kind of minshoe while riding. I have a pair of the most minimal leather boots I can find, but they're still pretty thick and heavy. When the destination isn't convenient for me to change shoes (like at work where I can keep a pair of minshoes to change into), I just wear my boots the whole time and my feet hate it (and I'm starting to blame some of my new aches and pains on wearing my boots too much).

So what does everyone else do? Do you just deal with wearing heavy boots when you go to school, shopping, or wherever? Or do you stash them in a backpack and deal with the bulk/weight of carrying them around with you?

Hi Andy!

I lock my helmet to my bike, but I feel safe doing that because the only way someone could steal my helmet would be to cut through the chin strap, making the helmet somewhat useless in that you can't secure it to your head without the strap (and putting a new strap on the helmet doesn't seem like an easy task).

I'm not sure I could lock my boots to my bike in the same way? I do have waterproof saddle bags, but maybe a locking trunk would work better. hmm! Thanks for the idea!! :)

Lower extremity injury is the most common type of injury associated with motorcycling because even with a parking lot tip over you can sprain you ankle or have the bike land on your leg. I wear a fairly sturdy hiking boots when I ride. Mostly I ride to work so I keep a pair slip on casual shoes there. I suggest dealing with locking up boots rather than skimping on the protection during the ride.

I wear riding boots and don't mind 'em at all. Unlike many here, I like shoes.

You are lucky! The more I'm minimal the less my feet tolerate heavy shoes, thick soles and/or elevated heels.

Lower extremity injury is the most common type of injury associated with motorcycling because even with a parking lot tip over you can sprain you ankle or have the bike land on your leg. I wear a fairly sturdy hiking boots when I ride. Mostly I ride to work so I keep a pair slip on casual shoes there. I suggest dealing with locking up boots rather than skimping on the protection during the ride.

I completely agree!

I'm looking into options for a locking trunk that I can attach to the rear rack where I can stow my boots if I'm not going to work. I also keep a pair of shoes at work for days I ride. It's when I'm not going to work that I'll really need a way to lock up my boots.

I used to ride in steel-toe work boots which were heavy and very uncomfortable (except they weren't too bad when riding). You could always look into getting a Kryptonite lock like the following. http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/ProductInformation.aspx?PNumber=998600
I used to use one like this for my jacket and helmet in one.
It's pretty thin, so you could probably run it through one of the eyeletts in your boots (not sure what you wear).
It's not the safest option, but its simple and will deter the simple thief.

You are lucky! The more I'm minimal the less my feet tolerate heavy shoes, thick soles and/or elevated heels

A lot of people don't know this, but if you have a pair of boots that fit the overall shape of your foot, go to a cobbler to get a flat sole put on them. I used to do this to my combat boots when I was in the Army. It was the only way I could stop rolling my ankles. My normal combat boots with heels I rolled my ankles a lot.

Not a bad idea Zetti! Unfortunately, my boots have a zipper and don't have laces. :(

Nick, I'm going to have to look into that! A nice flat sole might help me tolerate the boots a little better for sure! :)

FWIW, I have something similar to these: http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-one-o-one-riding-shoes

They're not much heavier than hiking boots (if at all) and they do not seem to have much heel lift (or drop or whatever that term is). They're nice in that I can walk around in them after I'm off the bike and be comfortable. They still contain the foot, but at least they're not heavy engineer boots (because we're riding motorcycles, not driving a train, or anything).

BTW, we simply cannot have a conversation about riding without stating what we ride, so I'll go first: 2002 Triumph Bonneville. Next?

Used to have an '02 R6 :(
No more.....sniff

I don't want a pickle...

Ram, what's wrong with you? :D

I wish I could find riding boots. None that I've checked fit anymore, they are all too narrow in front. Maybe Vibram will come up with something.
81' BMW R100RS, 74' Norton Commando, 84' Kawasaki KLR 600, 75' Honda TL125

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test