Anyone from Syracuse Cortland Ithaca areas?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Peanut, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Peanut

Peanut Guest

I am running now with VFFs. Have been for about a year. Went to them from the super jive support shoes recommended by the runny shoe store ( who now carries vffs ). My knees started to bug me. When I went to the VFFs I now have no trouble.

I will be going out shortly and will try my first time around the block competely barefoot.

I live in Homer NY which is between Syracuse and Ithaca.

Peanut

2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Welcome, Peanut.  I wonder if

Welcome, Peanut. I wonder if you went into that store now, would they recommend the boat anchors or the VFFs, now that they carry them.

3. Abide

Abide Barefooters
    1. Nederland -...

What's up! Sorry I don't live

What's up! Sorry I don't live in your area, but I do love that part of New York!

4. Peanut

Peanut Guest

Just ran my first 1.5 truly

Just ran my first 1.5 truly barefoot. Not bad. Then I put on my VFFs and did another 6.5.

I did like it being barefoot and think my feet will get tougher if I do a bit more each time I go out.

Yep, the place I got the boat anchors really does now carry Vffs and the fellow said they are selling like crazy!

Problem for me is that I love to run outside and we get a lot of snow here. Barefoot would be hard for me when it gets too cold. I will go as long as I can. We have a place near by that has an indoor track I can run on when the weather is really bad.

That's one of the problems with the VFFs - your feet get wet real easily and then they start to freeze. So that's why I have had to utilize the indoor track when the snow isn't clear from the road or sidewalks.

I suppose I will be able to continue barefoot on the indoor track though.

Peanut

5. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

The VFF Flows are supposed to

The VFF Flows are supposed to be good for cold, wet weather. They have a neoprene liner.

6. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

You guys notice how no one

You guys notice how no one talks about the Flows anymore?

7. Peanut

Peanut Guest

Never heard of them but I

Never heard of them but I suppose a neoprene liner might be a good idea.

Anyone try that or know where you can just get the liner?

Peanut

8. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

The liner is built into the

The liner is built into the Flows. The Flows are just another type of Vibram FiveFingers. If you are looking for warmth and have enough room in your VFFs, you can add some wool five-toed socks, like those from Injingi. Probably won't keep out the wet though.

9. Peanut

Peanut Guest

Actually I did get the black

Actually I did get the black wool Injingis and yes, that happened - they got wet and my feet got cold.

They were nice and warm when the street was dry though.

I got really nuts one night. It was about 8 degrees and there was a little snow falling (ha what's new in upstate ny )

Anyway, it was so pretty and peaceful out with the snow and the trees etc. So I put on my Vffs and put a pair of thick socks over them and then a plastic bag. As you can imagine it was delightful for about a mile. The bags broke and I had to take the pieces off then just said the heck with it and ran another mile before I almost lost my toes. I am a wee bit nuts.

Peanut

10. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

I would have been afraid of

I would have been afraid of slipping on the bags wrapped around my feet.

11. Peanut

Peanut Guest

Actually not bad - I

Actually not bad -

I reently bought a pair of those cheap boat shoes. The plan this year is to wear then with heavy boot socks then plastic inside the boat shoe. It's all a big experiment.

I have also contacted the Zem people. Seems they are working on something for regular minimalist runners and one that can be worn in winter that is also waterproof. Hoping for next year!

Peanut

http:/cdbaby.com/carlislelinda

photobucket.com/photographybycarlisle

12. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Everything about running

Everything about running barefoot and minimalist is an experiment, isn't it?

Jimmy is our resident ZEM liaison, so if you have any ZEM questions, please feel free to contact him. He's actually helping them to develop those minimalist options.

13. Danjo

Danjo Barefooters
    1. New Mexico

If you want water proof you

If you want water proof you could try those seal skinz waterproof socks. Not toe socks though, so they won't help with Vibrams...