Anybody here members of the Society for Barefoot Living?

I'm a member but I haven't read any of the emails for a long, long time. Like Board said, it's pretty much the same thing over and over again. Still, as a would-be ethnographer, and life-long casual barefooter, I found it fascinating to get a glimpse into the more militant barefooters' world, and to learn of the history of barefooting. A few folks seem dogmatic, but most seem to be pretty nice. Mostly, I really respect how they stand up for their rights, and appreciate the fact that they're fighting for greater barefoot acceptance, which will benefit us all, whether you're a barefooter or barefoot runner, and furthers the cause of civil liberties more generally.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I am a member but don't read much of the posts these days- time restrictions... it was easy to become a member, TJ I can't see why you would be turned down... just the fact I go barefoot when I can and drive barefoot got me in even though I use shoes when needed... ESPECIALLY at work- new job is in a dialysis center...

I guess I was under the impression that they were a militant group like Lee said. I don't feel I am militant enough. I mean I believe we should be able to approach the owners of establishments to ask them why they do not allow barefooters in their establishments, educate them, and plead for change, but I also believe that a private owner has the right to say no. We shouldn't force it on them.

I guess I was under the impression that they were a militant group like Lee said. I don't feel I am militant enough. I mean I believe we should be able to approach the owners of establishments to ask them why they do not allow barefooters in their establishments, educate them, and plead for change, but I also believe that a private owner has the right to say no. We shouldn't force it on them.
Certainly some members are quite militant, and some quite rightly so as they have conditions which make wearing any kind of footwear difficult or impossible, which is where the issue of discrimination, akin to handicap access and such, comes into play. I don't know if I would describe the group as a whole as militant.

I'm no purist, and would describe myself as a "casual barefooter," or perhaps as a "barefooter by preference," but the whole shod-barefoot conundrum does seem absurd and I think both tactics, gentle education as well as militant insistence, have their place in moving the thing forward. I tend to belong to the former group, like you TJ, but I'm glad there's some hardcore folks like Longboard and Kriss at SBL who are willing to confront resistance more openly. And I don't know if I agree with the whole 'well, it's private property' argument, when so much of the public sphere these days is in the hands of private ownership or under the control of private interests, due to their greater political leverage. Look at how private companies are trying to shut down the post office, for example, in order to grab the business for themselves. And I wonder what the reaction would be if a religious owner of a small store insisted that all female customers wear a veil, or at the very least cover their hair!

Don't forget, Lee, I am one of those who has difficulty wearing shoes as well. If I find I am in too much pain that day to wear shoes, I will carry my shoes, and if approached, I will just show them my many scars. That should shut them up. I would type more on this subject, maybe later?, but I am on the iPad watching my kids at tae kwon do.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Oh, and they're barefoot. Hee.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Don't forget, Lee, I am one of those who has difficulty wearing shoes as well. If I find I am in too much pain that day to wear shoes, I will carry my shoes, and if approached, I will just show them my many scars. That should shut them up. I would type more on this subject, maybe later?, but I am on the iPad watching my kids at tae kwon do.
Yah, I didn't mean for that to be addressed specifically to you. I was just airing out my general thoughts on the matter. And no need to reply further, I know where you stand and I have a similar stance, probably even less militant actually, as I have to worry about embarrassing my wife, who comes from a culture where you don't leave the house unless you're all spruced up. I think you're a perfect example of why the it's a private business they can do what they like stance doesn't work, unless we allow private ownership to discriminate in other areas. But since for me it really is no big deal to put on some sandals before going into a store, because barefooting is more of a preference than a need, I tend not to stick up for the wider 'rights' view, even when I'm alone and in no danger of embarrassing anyone with me.

I started to join SBL several years ago but going thru the questions to join realized I don't really qualify to join by their rules. I have to wear shoes far too much at work and winter running to meet the standards of SBL...close but no cigar. I'm right in with them in spirit even though I'm not a member.

Sounds like you have conflicting views on the subject, just as I do, Lee.

BTW, I took my two boys, they were in their taekwondo uniforms, into Target, and we shopped barefoot from beginning to end. Of course, with or without shoes, I am in pain after an hour of that.

Welcome back, Mokie! Missed you much, buddy! :barefoot:

Sounds like you have conflicting views on the subject, just as I do, Lee.
My view is consistent: one should be able to enter any place without footwear. It's just that I find myself worrying much more about, say, the imminent collapse of the Chinese real estate bubble, than my right to enter stores barefoot. But I'm definitely glad other people are picking the battle
:).

Correction above: "Yah, I didn't mean for that to be addressed specifically to you."

Been a member for a few years. Some are militant, but it ain't a bad group. Barefoot means barefoot though. Shoes are tools or safety items. Most agree they are needed under some circumstances.

Well after flipping the coin many times I decided to join just to see what the SBL was all about. Joined over a month ago and have been reading the site posts. The SBL definately needs to work on a more organized and friendly web page instead of the antiquated yahoo groups layout. I did have to agree that some of the posts are quite interesting in that apparently some folks never where shoes. Yeah I would like to never have to wear a pair of shoes again but where I live it just isn't possible due to the cold weather, work requirements, etc. Maybe if I win the lottery and can move to a warmer climate, buy my own island, etc. Ohh maybe I need to buy powerball tickets more than about twice a year huh? Not sure this forum is for me though as I probably don't have quite the cojones to just go into a local walmart or eating establishment barefoot and then argue with the manager about how I have the right to shop barefoot. I appreciate the people that do this to promote barefooting though. If I was in an area such as Oklahoma where I have seen several people barefoot in the Walmart's (and well just about anywhere you see people) there yeah I wouldn't shy away from shopping barefoot myself. A person would never make it through the front door barefoot here in Nebraska. I do enjoy reading some of the posts and there is alot of good resources on the web site also. Guess it depends how dedicated you are to LIVING barefoot everyday! I want to go barefoot more this summer than ever but maybe I'm just not quite to the barefoot lifestlye just yet.:)

Hi Carey, I see you are part of the Omaha Chapter. Have you heard about the Omaha Marathon/Half/10K? If you're interested, they have Barefoot Runner Divisions. Pretty cool. I received a warm welcome from the other runners and spectators there, and I'd highly recommend this event to anyone who can attend.

Hi Carey, I see you are part of the Omaha Chapter. Have you heard about the Omaha Marathon/Half/10K? If you're interested, they have Barefoot Runner Divisions. Pretty cool. I received a warm welcome from the other runners and spectators there, and I'd highly recommend this event to anyone who can attend.

Actually I did think about maybe entering in the Omaha 10K this fall as I should be ready for that distance and maybe the following year the half but we will see how this summer goes. I would like to run it barefoot.

You'll love it! :barefoot:

You'll love it! :barefoot:

Do you know if there are many barefoot runners in the Omaha marathon? I have checked out the race route online and once I drove along some of them when I was in Omaha to see if it was barefoot friendly looking and it appeared doable for me anyway. Last week I signed up for a 5K in Kearney, NE which is about 50 miles from here in the Buffalo County Stampede. I plan to run it barefoot and it will be on barefoot friendly trails. (concrete) Don't think there is a barefoot division but oh well. It will be my first race barefoot. Was hoping to try a 10K there but guess they don't have one. Im not quite up to that distance yet but could run that distance if I had too.

There's a small handful of barefoot runners who run any of those distances in the race. It's nice though, and you can meet up with others before the race and even run with them during the race, since the three distances use most of the same course. Contact Barefoot Rick on here via PM, and he will make sure you can meet up with those who are going this year before the race. They have a nice pasta party the night before, and the food is quite good.

Reactions: Go Barefoot