Anybody here members of the Society for Barefoot Living?

Go Barefoot

Barefooters
Oct 25, 2011
Grand Island, NE
Just had ran across the Society for Barefoot Living web site and was wondering if anyone here was a member or had been a member in the past. In many of the posts Ive read here it seems as though many people seem to enjoy going barefoot more than just for an enjoyable run. Thought about joining for fun and was wondering if anyone recommended joining or could tell me more about it.

I joined their Facebook page but not sure if that makes me a member. After transitioning to barefoot running, I found I really liked going barefoot as much as possible and found this group to be like-minded, though barefoot runners don't seem to be common in this group.

I've been a member for over ten years. The website is dated in content and appearence, but has many great resources. Joining gives you access to the member's posts, but after a while it becomes the same old thing over and over. No harm in joining, but the advantages are not all that useful. There really are no group efforts at barefoot access and that kind of thing, no plans for using strength in numbers or anything like that.
Most of the posts are from people who have been there longer than me who are even older than me....as in over 60!
The FB SBL site is much more active, and is moderated by Dr. Daniel Howell, but is mostly newcomers with typical questions the new barefooter's commonly ask.
Not too many runners participate in the SBL mailing list postings, a runner posted to the forum yesterday and there have been no follow-ups to the post which mentioned Ahcuah's Vibram blog entry.
And no Mike, joining FB SBL does not make you a member of the SBL. You must submit an application first, which is than analyzed by the membershipo committee after reading your essay, and then you MAY or may not be granted membership.
Originaly the FB SBL site was considered a pirate site, and efforts were made to destroy it. Eventually with Dr. Howell's involvement some SBL members began to accept and even embrace the much more user friendly FB site.

I have never applied, and I think if I did, they would turn me down; I'm not good enough. :meh:

I have never applied, and I think if I did, they would turn me down; I'm not good enough. :meh:
What do you mean not good enough? Do you have to have gone BF in a suit and tie establishment without getting thrown out before they will let you in? ;) Sounds like they have a strict screening process for new members wanting to join.
I can see where it might become the same old stories over and over after awhile. Maybe Ill try it anyway. Yeah the website looks as if it never changes. Think I ran across the SBL sight many years ago and it looks familar. Probably unchanged.
Enjoy reading some of the posts under the Barefootedness forum here. I like to go barefoot as much as possible but dont think I have the courage to attempt to board a plane to take a trip somewhere. It would be fun though, but im sure I would be the one that wouldnt get on the plane without being noticed and whipped in the back room by the airline workers.:) I would like to try going BF more places this summer though. We will see what happens. Who knows maybe I will have some of my own stories to post here under the Barefootedness forum.

The SBL has liberalized it's membership requirements over the past few years. They used to not let you in if you didn't go into establishments barefoot, and tell you to reapply after you have expanded your barefooting. I thought that concept was stupid because reading the daily posts is what gives people the encouragement they need to get over being chicken. I was very vocal in asking for the change, and most people are let in easily now.
The main reason now for the application and short essay is to keep out the fetishists. The few females that join still drop out of the forums pretty quickly when they realize how many guys want to start pm/emailing with them.

I think when I last spoke to you about this three or so years ago, Board, they weren't that open. Good to know they are letting more people in.

Reactions: Barefoot Walker
I've felt for a few years now that the BRS should have a forum dedicated to barefoot living. This section fits the bill, and with TJ as a fair forum owner/administrator/moderator it could function much better than the SBL.
I used to direct people from the RW barefoot forums to the SBL, now I recommend the BRS to people who are'nt runners but are interested in learning more about the barefoot lifestyle. The SBL website is still a great resource, but for discussion the BRS is superior.

Love you, Board! Thanks! :joyful:

The person (Darex) who coined the name "The Dirty Sole Society" and recommended it to the founder (Paul Lucas) posted to the SBL within the past few days explaining it's origins as a play on words taken from the movie "The Dead Poet's Society".
He is alive and doing very well.
It was he who snapped the photo of me enjoying a Landshark Lager in a can in Key West last week that was posted in the "What Beer" thread in The Barefoot Pub forum.
Small barefoot world!

Yes, we are a small world after all. :peeking:

I've felt for a few years now that the BRS should have a forum dedicated to barefoot living. This section fits the bill, and with TJ as a fair forum owner/administrator/moderator it could function much better than the SBL.
I used to direct people from the RW barefoot forums to the SBL, now I recommend the BRS to people who are'nt runners but are interested in learning more about the barefoot lifestyle. The SBL website is still a great resource, but for discussion the BRS is superior.

I agree this section of the BRS would be good for discussing barefoot living. Its is the nicest forum layout I have run across to date. I have not seen the SBL forum but if it is just a bunch of emails like the joing section describes it as then thats a far cry from organization and effort that has been put into this site. This forum is so easy to use too. TJ does do an excelent job keeping things rolling and posting some of the lastest news about interesting barefoot topics.

Thanks! I really appreciate "hearing" that. :joyful: