Any knitters out there!? Making your own winter running gear...

Barefoot Mary

Barefooters
Jul 27, 2010
Denver, CO
I was wodnering if there are any knitting runners out there...mostly because I've noticed most of my winter running gear is entering the "home made" category. I'm rather proud of my gigantic wool cowl (that wraps around my head TWICE, and fasten with a gigantic safety pin) & ribbed arm warmers that go clear up to mid-bicep and cover my hands completely, but are loose enough to fold back when the hands get hot.

Just wondering if anyone else has any creations to share!

This is me heading out for a morning run (15 degrees F outside - Hello Michigan winter!!):

When I got back my head was soaked in sweat and my chin & nose were nice n warm:

I've only just gotten into

I've only just gotten into knitting in the last few months and I was thinking about making leg warmers for my next project. Though I am old enough to remember the last time leg warmers were "in," I never had any myself and really want to try them out! :p And making my own *pretty* arm warmers rather than spending 40 bucks on the boring black ones for bikers that are too thick anyway...hmmm...I like that idea, too!

So what kind of yarn do you use? Temps around here don't get too much below freezing, but I'm also kind of a cold wimp.

Very cute, Mary.  Keeping

Very cute, Mary. Keeping warm is the name of the game.

C. Beth makes knitted clothing. She has a site here too: http://www.etsy.com/shop/cbethcrochet. Very good stuff.

I love it, Mary! So cool! I

I love it, Mary! So cool! I am also curious to know what type of yarn you use. I was wondering if there's something that would be particularly good for "tech wear."

Thanks for the shout-out, TJ! I actually crochet, and for now I'm focusing on hats. Love the look of knitting, but haven't tried it. I don't have much on my Etsy store right now, since I was a little overwhelmed with custom orders for a couple of months (still finishing those orders.) But there are a lot more photos of what I've made on this section of my blog.

Abide wrote:They are

Abide said:
They are different?

Are you talking about knitting & crocheting? Yes, crochet uses 1 "hook" while knitting uses (usually) 2 "needles." Completely different techniques though the results sometimes look quite similar.

I thought there were more

I thought there were more pictures, Beth, so when I went to your site, I was wondering why I didn't see all the other stuff. That explains it.

Nice to hear there are other

Nice to hear there are other needle ladies out there! Cbeth, your stuff looks cool, I knew I'd seen it before on your blog :)

I used just 1 skein of Artful Yarns Circus for the cowel ... 95% wool is good news when you want to be SUPER WARM. But it's knit loose so it has lots of holes in it to breathe...while the yarn is "kinky" so it fills up a lot fo space.

I have good experiences with any kind of merino wool, preferably a blend - Mountain Colors is great cuz it has a teeeeny bit of nylon in it to give it stretch. But if you rib, anything is possible. Ribbing makes it stretchy.

I'd like to try cotton come summer...it does nothing for keeping you warm. BUT! I wanna try making compression wear with cotton because it's rigid and keeps cool. A little ribbing in a small size and it could really keep the pressure on the muscles.

IMHO, bamboo yarn is the VERY BEST for workout gear because it's antibacterial, wicks, breathes, has UV protection, and resists odor...so bamboo is pretty cool stuff. It also comes in small sizes (like...sock yarn fingering weight) which is good for anything and everything. Bamboo doesn't keep you warm.

Wow, thanks so much for the

Wow, thanks so much for the info! I like the idea of making a bamboo running hat. It's not usually very cold here so it would probably work even for winter. The bamboo yarns have such a fantastic texture though I haven't made anything in bamboo yet.

Isn't bamboo an incredible

Isn't bamboo an incredible resource?

I am the happy recipient of

I am the happy recipient of my GF's newfound knitting proficientcy. She just started this time last year and has made dozens of pieces. I've seen her working with from 2 to 6 needles on hats, dresses, cowles and socks. When I run now I wear mitts with no fingers she made . They're particularly good because they just slide back on my wrists when I heat up.

Knitting is the bomb. I lack the counting gene required to do it myself, I'm afraid. Give me a chainsaw any day.

Joseph, if you find a way to

Joseph, if you find a way to make running gear with a chainsaw, we will all be VERY interested to hear about it! :cool:

CBeth, They're still in beta

CBeth, They're still in beta testing mode. I'll keep you informed as security conditions permit.

GF knits this amazing cowl that has a Moebius twist in the design. My brain gets sweaty just trying to think of it.

Mary compaired to me you look

Mary compaired to me you look like 5th Avenue! I wear old socks on my hands. They're easier to wash regularly - my nose runs ALOT.

I crochet my running hats and have a running headband on the list to keep my ears warm but head cool.

I'd love to try bamboo yarn. Aren't most of us "do it yourself'ers"? It would be cool to know what else members make to use or in support of their BF running.

For me: granola, yogurt, soap, sunscreen, moisterizer, soap, huaraches! I'm looking for a good running kilt pattern.

Sara--Very impressive!! I do

Sara--Very impressive!! I do sometimes make my own granola and yogurt, and I've made my own huaraches...but as for the other stuff on the list, I buy it all. :)

My wife makes mukaluks (that

My wife makes mukaluks (that would be native american boots make of buckskin or buffalo hide) for her winter runs, we also have a friend who does a lot of knitting for her running gear that will be very interested in this thread. I use knitted wristbands for my ankle warmers (two different colours).

Very useful thread, and I am looking forward to trying the mukaluks myself this March for my Run Across Lake Winnipeg, will have to keep my feet warm you know, and I do not think the Zems's will quite do that for that trek.

SaraLord wrote:  I'm looking

SaraLord said:
I'm looking for a good running kilt pattern.

Share if you find one.

I made these ridiculous but very convenient running gloves/mittens. When my fingers get hot or if I need dexterity I flip them open. They are sewn from felted merino sweater. They have superb moisture wicking properties. I never go for a run without them now, I don't care how ridiculous they look.

s-DSC_9510.JPG
s-DSC_9511.JPG

I also made a couple of pairs of huaraches. They are my favorite minimalist option but I'm waiting for the snow to melt to use them again as they don't have good traction.

I tried making a handled bottle holder, it was a failure. Same for the waistpack: too bouncy. I ended up buying a nice comfortable hydration belt for Christmas, to hold my bottle and spare shoes, food, etc.

My first attempt at making a felted wool hat resulted in something too small even for my 4 years old. I should try again.

I like making things but I always end up with prototypes, proofs of concept...or trash, I never get to the nicely finished product stage.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test