Any Kiwi runners?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by footloose2, May 1, 2019.

1. footloose2

footloose2 Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

I moved to NZ 2 1/2 years ago and run regularly in and around the Rotorua region. Does anyone follow this chapter anymore ?

Leanz and Barefoot TJ like this.
  2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Unfortunately, NZ fell silent some time ago. Let's hope your conversations here will get someone to respond. Come on New Zealand! Say hello!

3. Leanz

Leanz Barefooters
    1. New Zealand

Hi
    I have just joined the site and the barefoot runs. Slowly transitioning - running on grass in and around Oamaru.
    Hope I will be able to do longer distances soon. Waiting for first Xero shoes to arrive.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Welcome, Leanz! Glad you're here. :barefoot:

Leanz likes this.
  5. Neil_D

Neil_D Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Footloose,
    I did a run around one of the lakes around the Rotorua area, not the main one of course but a small one called Lake Tikitapu. The thing I like about NZ is the trails a more barefoot friendly than in Australia where they tend to be more stony.
    I did some barefoot walks around Nelson up to some caves, the trails were all mossy, the streams were cold and I came across a beautiful large stag. I caught it by surprise as I was walking barefoot and not crunching through the forest with big boots.

Cheers

Neil

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  6. Neil_D

1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Leanz,
    It will be getting a bit chilly in your part of the world at the moment. I do find it hard to get motivated to go out for a run when it is dark and cold and that is in Adelaide, it would be even colder on the south island.
    The picture I have on my avitar was taken on a track in Inglewood with Mount Taranaki in the background. I always find NZ a beautiful place to visit.

Regards

Neil

Leanz and Barefoot TJ like this.
  7. Leanz

Leanz Barefooters
    1. New Zealand

Yep grass has been a little icy lately! So pleased my first pair of minimalist shoes arrived on Thursday. First run done - in the rain but they felt good. Looking for sandals now!

8. Neil_D

1. Australia
    2. Presidents

I managed a run tonight. I alway find it hard during the week as I have an hours drive from work and by the time I get back my enthusiasm wanes.
    This evening though I thought I getter get out there and 'Just do it' as we had an unusually warm day for this time of year, it got up to 27C.
    A change is coming in tomorrow with a storm forecast and it will be cool and wet for the rest of the week so I wanted to make the best of the good weather.
    I always feel like crap after a day at work where I'm sat behind a computer. It takes me around 5km before I feel life coming back to my legs and I can breathe efficiently.
    I walked back barefoot along the beach in the dark and unusually warm evening.

Neil

Leanz likes this.
  9. Leanz

Leanz Barefooters
    1. New Zealand

I used to run at 5am while I was working. I'd get the run done before the frost came down :)
    Now I'm retired and think I'll leave it till later but it's cold at 9am!! But I'd probably never get it done if I waited till later - so well done you

10. Neil_D

1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Leanz,
    5am is inhuman, unless it's in the middle of the summer and it's going to be a 40C day (which it can be in Adelaide summers).
    Todays run was at 9.30am and it had been cold overnight at around 6C so the sand and pavements were cold underfoot. I'm not a winter person, may favourite seasons being spring and autumn.
    I'm not keen on numb feet and look for the surfaces that absorb the most of the suns winter energy and run on those.

Regards

Neil

Leanz likes this.