Anxious, conflicted, scared... My first 5K race awaits.

Good luck Swedish Pimple!

Good luck Swedish Pimple! I wish I could be there for support, but I'm out-of-town that weekend. I've done a few 5K's barefoot now, the people are really supportive. Take it easy and good luck!!

Aww... well I suppose its

Aww... well I suppose its best to wait 'till your all healed up. But when it does come time to race, or even during your training, just tell Mr. Ego that you'll actually go a lot faster if you focus on being comfortable rather than just going fast. Once your form is all locked and you aren't using any more energy than you need to, you can just fly. But if you try to push it and just go fast, you will end up being very slow, very tired, very uncomfortable, and very unhappy.

I also agree with Matt, thats pretty much how I ran my 5k's even in Cross-Country, take it kinda easy in the first mile, then when you've figured out who's actually slower than you, start passing. Just lock on to the closest person in front of you and slowly draw them in. It may seem like you'd end up farther back then if you just stayed up front, but I've had races where there are about 30 people ahead of me at the first mile, and I've come back to finish 5th.

Thanks guys....I haven't run

Thanks guys....

I haven't run in 10 days. My lower left leg started acting up and I have been nursing it ever since. I did a more complete write up in an earlier post in the Health, Nutrition, Injuries, etc.... section of this forum. http://www.barefootrunners.org/build2/forum-topic/sigh-my-injury

So, sadly, I will not be running in this race.

On the plus side... At this point my leg does feel a little better. :) Perhaps it's just a bruise after all. But, to be safe I am going to continue to take it easy. Focus on some cross training... and ease back into running once everything is completely feeling good again.

I'll come back to racing in due time. This whole injury, or near miss injury thing, really puts things in perspective for me. I don't think I'll be in such a hurry to speed things up next time. I like BF running too much for that.

S. Pimp.

One thing's for sure...if you

One thing's for sure...if you follow Ram's advice, even if "you" don't have a memorable race, everyone else certainly will! :) (Especially the little kid who's having nightmares about the mean barefoot guy who was staring at him!)

I only compete against myself when I race. Every single time I try and compete against other runners...most of them beat me. :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test