Anxious, conflicted, scared... My first 5K race awaits.

swedishpimple

Barefooters
Jul 18, 2010
In 2 1/2 weeks (Oct. 9th) I'll be running in my first 5k race.

I'm finding it very difficult not to care what my time will be.

I really wish someone would just smack me around and remind me that it is my first race... I'm slow... and it's okay.

Somewhere inside me is a reasonable chap that knows it is far better to have a good race.... than to die trying to run too far outside of my limits. I'm just having a hard time listening to Mr. Reasonable over Mr. EGO the vainly driven maniac inside me that wants to push the pace and get a good time at all costs.

Yesterday... I let the EGO side of me plan my training run. He had me running a full bore 5k that had me deep in oxygen debt at just past 2 miles. Mr. EGO didn't feel so cool walking for 2 min. and he certainly was less than impressed with my final time.

Do I really want to try to run a race like this? Strategies? Advice?

I'm such a newbie runner... I have so much to learn.

S. Pimp.

Chill out!  lol!    

Chill out! lol! Honestly, you are really adding uneccessary stress to which is going to be a fun event. This is your fisrt race, enjoy it. Don't let time consume you, but do your best and see what happens. For your first race it's not about time, it's about the atmosphere, the feeling of being in a organized race, the starting line, the runners, the finish line, the feeling of accomplishment, everything!

Make you sure you run YOUR race, and not others. Don't get caught up what the other runners are doing, it's just you and the course. Have fun with it and good luck!

My 7-year-old son ran his

My 7-year-old son ran his second race ever this past weekend, and my advice to him was to have this goal: finish, and don't be last. Of course, if being last is doing your best, then it's fine (think of those who won't finish, and there will be some even at that distance).

Another good goal is don't throw up at the end. This will be my goal for my next race, as I nearly did it on Saturday (because I was pushing too hard). THAT would have been embarrassing, considering it was "only" a 5k and it was my first local race.

Yeah, I have meager goals and I always run the best I can, but I'm not competitive with the "real" runners out there, so why bother trying? I'm out having fun, and if I can get a decent time out of it (read: faster than my average run) I'm a happy camper. I'm slow too.

But yeah, sometimes that's all easier said than done, I know. :) And, I haven't done any races BF yet so if you're going that route, more power to you and good luck on finishing - and not being last! ;)

Heather, that's not you

Heather, that's not you running a race barefoot in your avatar? Hmmmm?

Good luck, S. Pimp. There's more important things in life to get all worked up over. You know that. Just enjoy the experience.

I like to think its only 30

I like to think its only 30 minutes or less of pain, I can handle that, then I try to run faster. And next time don't stop, when you get that tired just dial into your form to get your mind off your aching muscles. Throw some Seplutura into your playlist too.

Haha hmduey says don't throw up, when typically that is my goal, well at least to feel like I'm gonna hurl.

S. Pimp, do not listen to

S. Pimp, do not listen to any of the above advice. Take it from me, this is how to run a 5k:

1) When you arrive, make sure you have #1, if you don't, complain loudly.

2) When milling around before the race starts, DO NOT engage anyone in conversation, they are the enemy. If anyone attempts to talk to you kick them in the shin and loudly announce that you are not a social butterfly you are a racing pro who needs his space to prepare so BACK OFF!!

3) There are people that you'll be racing who want to wipe the road with you, it's up to you to run them down and put a good old fashioned beating on them. If they attempt to keep up, trip them or pull them back with their ponytail.

4) You SHOULD be throwing up at the end, if you aren't you let yourself down and didn't run hard enough so you may as well just go home and knit a sweater.

5) If you see a runner under the age of 13 you need to give them a good scary glare just before the race so they know who's boss, if they attempt to pass you at any point in the race, trip them (ponytails are off limits here but rat tails are perfectly OK)

6) When the race is over, regardless of your time (world record excluded), it's mandatory that you complain to the race director and any volunteer you can find that the course HAD to be more than 5k, the water station was not well manned and the t-shirt is the ugliest damned thing you have ever laid eyes on (if you throw in a "not counting your wife" here you get extra props).

7) This will be a pivotal point in your life, fail here and there's not turning back, you're destined to fail in everything you do.

Oh, and have fun!;)

TJ: that one wasn't "my"

TJ: that one wasn't "my" race, it was the one-miler I ran with my son (who was so far ahead of me he wasn't even in that picture!). So technically I haven't run a race BF yet. I was glad they got a pic of me trying it though, cuz it looks kinda cool. In one of the other ones I'm wincing in pain though ha ha.

Abide: my fear is actually doing it, right there at the finish line. I know I wouldn't be the first or the last to do it, just don't want to be caught doing it. Almost hurling doesn't count though :)

You guys are crazy, and I

You guys are crazy, and I like it! ;)

spimp - don't stress over times. Just enjoy the atmosphere! You're only doing it for the t-shirt anyway, right? :D

Abide wrote:Yes listen to

Abide said:
Yes listen to Ram.
Agreed almost hurling doesn't count. Neither does losing it 5 minutes after the race. It is preferable to do it on the finish line. Aspire to be like this chick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE09LkzoRpg

That's hawt. Seriously, what's wrong with people?

Ha!   You guys are

Ha! :lol:

You guys are awesome....

Oh and for the record, I am totally doing this race BF.

I really don't know which side of me will show up on race day. I'd like to think that I'll run a smart controlled race... but to be honest I just can't be sure I can hold back my inner idiot.

Regardless... with Abide and Ram's advice as my counsel I'm sure I am well on my way to having a very memorable first race experience.

Thanks.

S. Pimp.

I think you should care about

I think you should care about your time. Just don't have a non-realistic goal. My first 5K my goal was "Under 40 minutes", and I made it. I try to set a goal for every race, they just aren't difficult goals.

Listen to what Ram said. 

Listen to what Ram said. It's all good advice.

Just a couple more points that might help:
  • Start really slow. I find that starting at the back of the pack is best. In fact at one race, there was a long line at the porta-potties, so I ended up starting 5 minutes after the gun sounded.
  • The first mile should be about settling in and getting into a groove. Go a lot slower than you think you can go. Maybe chat with some of the people who will ask about you where your socks are.
  • After a mile or so, then you can start actually "racing". Chances are now good that you will start passing people. This will help keep your adreneline levels up and demoralize the the competition who will see how the "sockless" one is now pulling ahead. Make sure you stay relaxed and hold back a little.
  • After two miles, it's time to let your feet fly. You will be fully warmed up by now, and you will still have tons of gas left in the tank, while others are starting to slow down and run out of gas. Now you will be flying by the competition and they will only see a blur. And they will be so out of breath, that they won't even be able to mutter curses about the "sockless" wonder that left them in the dust.
Have fun. The first race is a lot of fun. The races that come later are fun, too.

SP, in my experience:a)

SP, in my experience:

a) numbers are arbitrary. It's all how it feels. Didn't you run through a thunderstorm or something? :>

b) warming up a lot more than seems necessary is never enough for a 5K.

and

c) running races BF can be fun, because you are guaranteed to meet a few people who will be IN AWE of you just for finishing. Some people will talk to you, some people won't. But people will give you a vibe that you've got something. And it'll be easy to smile back, because you do.

break a leg!

Okay, just don't end up like

Okay, just don't end up like this guy.

One of my biggest fears was

One of my biggest fears was puking at the finish line, and then I did it at a 10K last year and got my best time ever. To be fair, nothing came up, but I still ran so hard I dry heaved.

IT WAS AWESOME. Because I knew that I had run absolutely as hard as *I* could run, and that whatever time I had was the best I could do that day.

It will be great. 5Ks are so much fun. There are tons of kids, dogs, all kinds of people, whatever! Have a great time and enjoy your first race, and that's all you need to do! Mr. Ego will settle down the first time he gets passed by a mom with a stroller. ;) Let us know how it goes.

BBWAAAHHHAAA TJ!  I didn't

BBWAAAHHHAAA TJ! I didn't see that before I posted! And in the 2009 Atlanta Half my friend and I ran behind this woman who had totally crapped all down herself. GRODY. And really, can you not stop at a porta potty and try to clean that up???? Ew.

I'm sorry Mrs. Pastor.  I

I'm sorry Mrs. Pastor. I forgot our audience here. Please forgive me for posting such ugliness. Ha! I'm so glad God gave you a sense of humor.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS