Another newbie

Jennn

Barefooters
Feb 24, 2011
Hi! I'm Jen, I'm from Colorado and I'm new to Minimalist/Barefoot running.

3 years ago I decided to try running and I was quickly hooked and pretty much perpetually injured... (Much to the delight of my family and friends who are convinced that running is bad for the knees and other such nonsense, I can't wait to see their reactions to barefoot now, hehe). I've tried at least half a dozen different kinds of running shoes, all with different problems. I've had shin splints, horribly painful arches during runs (but not after), Achillies weirdness, an official diagnosis of Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome (and subsequent orthotic prescription), and once the TTS settled down I managed to develop a nasty case of Tendonitis after running a half marathon. During my downtime I've ditched my orthotics, quit wearing most shoes - initially out of necessity; the pain started out so bad I couldn't wear shoes that touched the top and sides of my foot even if I wanted to.. Basically I could wear nothing but ballet slipper style shoes if I needed to cover my feet. While being injured, I've been researching barefoot running, and I feel like this is the way I need to go, and what better time than now.

So far, I've been a wuss about actually running barefoot on more than just my treadmill. I've spent nearly 4 months barefoot or in minimal shoes with no running but lots of walking, I went through many weeks of physical therapy for the tendonitis, and started running again 3 weeks ago. So far, there's been zero pain. Yay! I'm finding running to be a easier than it used to be. I'm up to a mile at a time outside in VFF's. One of these days I'll suck it up and try running truly barefoot outside rather than only on the treadmill.

Isn't it life changing to

Isn't it life changing to find out that we are not the ones who are defective but rather the shoes? All this time, the medical community, through their therapies and orthotics would have you believe you just weren't meant to run; there must be something wrong with you. When in fact, you were fine all along, except for the shoes damaging you and your ability to enjoy running because of them. Revelations, revelations.

I can't wear any kind of closed toed shoe, so I know what you're going through. Shoes damaged my feet so severely that I have four neuromas (two in each foot).

It's always best to first learn how to run with a good proper barefoot running form, then wear shoes only when needed, i.e., extreme weather, hot/cold, extreme terrain, etc. If you start to experience problems while running in the VFFs, please consider running truly barefoot. Some people have trouble adjusting to the VFFs and find they can run much safer barefoot.

Welcome, Jenn. Better times and better runs are ahead!

Thanks!!  It's amazing to me

Thanks!! It's amazing to me that the devices that are supposed to help actually do the opposite. I do plan to run completely BF before I start to really add miles in the VFF's. Right now the sidewalks in my neighborhood are covered in the sand and gravel that they put down for snow (plus it just got cold again, ugh!), and I think my first few real BF run should probably be on cleaner surfaces (or maybe I'm just a big wuss :) ).

Jennn: Welcome to the

Jennn:

Welcome to the site. I think you might want to wait for it to warm up a little, but then do some good walking on concrete before taking to running on it if you haven't already begun to "season" your soles a bit. I would also strongly suggest starting without the VFFs, 3x/week with 1-2 rest days between runs to let your feet recover and consolidate the gains you make while BFRing. The VFFs can be great tools, but they can also make you feel like you can do more than you safely can. This seems to be more of a problem for men (it was for me, resulting in a stress fractured left foot), but just be careful that they don't give you a false sense of security. Barefoot is best for learning good form and for learning your limitations, then I think it's fine to add VFFs back in as tools as you need them (wet, cold, rough terrain, etc.).

Again, glad to have you here.

Phil

Thanks for the advice Phil! 

Thanks for the advice Phil! I'm sorry to hear about your injury!! :(

The only "seasoning" of my soles that I've done so far has been on the TM and I'm having trouble with the belt getting too hot after about a half mile. I'm planning on holding steady with 1 mile (max) runs 3 times a week for the moment because my tendons have started to become uncomfortably achy (not pain, just a little discomfort) in one foot; mostly in the area of my achilles, but I'm becoming vaguely aware of the other tendon injury I just recovered from as well.

The weather is wonderful this week, so I'm planning on taking off the shoes for my next couple of runs. I'm really hoping the slight discomfort is due to bad form and going completely BF will feel better.

Hi Jenn,Sounds like you got

Hi Jenn,

Sounds like you got a better start than I did. Phil's hit the nail on the head there.

Feels sweet eh?

Welcome.

Hi Jenn! Welcome! I would

Hi Jenn! Welcome! I would also strongly echo TJ and Phil about the BF vs. VFF advice...I found this website about a week or two too late and had already incurred a nasty ankle injury from feeling invincible in my brand spankin' new VFFs!/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/Roving/bigsmile.png But it sounds like you are being smart about it. I'm still very new to BF running and I am noticing different aches here and there, but nothing injurious...I think it is my foot/ankle area reshaping and re-strengthening itself. Other than what has already been said, I would just add - be patient! Something I am still working on!!

Again, Welcome!

Hi Jenn, i went with vff's

Hi Jenn,

i went with vff's first with no problems. second time i went bf i got terrible tofp. you should definetly go bf first, as much as you can. if you want to run more just carry some shoes with you for when your feet are tired. put em on and go. just don't do too much, it's easier to do than you think. my second bf run i did the same amount that i did with vff and still hurt myself. granted, i was RUNNING and not just jogging because of how good it felt.

don't be scared to take off the shoes, it's much better than you think. oh, i think everyone pretty much got achilles pain. i'm assuming it's from stretching because shoes shortened them. going bf or minimalist requires longer tendons, hence some growing pains.

so welcome to you and Lukeor. it's great to be crazy. crazy is just going against the grain. insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

mike

Jennn - my huaraches were my

Jennn - my huaraches were my best friend and got me up to 3.5 miles every other day - until the PF and shin splints hit. I completely agree with everyone above. Go barefoot first, learn good form until it becomes muscle memory, then use VFFs as seasoning, not the mail course. There is something magical about letting your feet tell you how to run and when to stop.

Welcome to the BRS - you'll find a great group of very diverse people who have so much to share.

Lovely to meet you, Jenn. Not

Lovely to meet you, Jenn. Not to be a broken record or anything, but barefoot first, girl. It makes all the difference in the world. Take it nice and slow. You'll be glad you at least tried it.

I ran totally barefoot

I ran totally barefoot yesterday for the first time! I met a group of local barefoot runners, and ran about 1.3 miles. It felt great!! Definitely different than running in my VFF's. I'm excited to run barefoot more often, hopefully the streets and sidewalks around my neighborhood will be cleaned up soon..

Welcome!Great way to start

Welcome!

Great way to start out with some local barefooters. Patience is the name of the game your first summer!

congrats. its's lotsa fun

congrats. its's lotsa fun right?

i was hoping to go to CO this summer but that's not happening now. oh well. perhaps some other time.

mike

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7