Another needy prerace post - toenail surgery

jschwab

Barefooters
Jun 16, 2010
I lost most of my toenail after the Warrior Dash. There is still a tiny little piece that won't come out but on runs eventually it starts to hurt. Can a podiatrist remove it surgically, or should I just yank it out myself?

Janine

I cringed when I read that,

I cringed when I read that, J! Don't you dare yank it out yourself. Go to a podiatrist or your family doctor. If it's attached at a point too deep, you could experience some severe bleeding. Yikes. I got the ibby-gibbies. Whatever you decide...take pictures! Hee.

I tried but my camera does

I tried but my camera does not take closeups. My podiatrist wrote back right away and said he could do it. So glad this is the only thing in a year I have to see him for... I hope it heels within two weeks.

Boy, I keep mispelling words

Boy, I keep mispelling words around here - that's a little embarrassing. My "surgery" is scheduled for 8am tommorrow. Wish me luck!

I'm certain it will be billed

I'm certain it will be billed as "surgery". Be sure to let us know the total fee for services just for kicks.

Longboard wrote:I'm certain

Longboard said:
I'm certain it will be billed as "surgery". Be sure to let us know the total fee for services just for kicks.

No kidding; that might make me more sick than the photo. ;)

He didn't actually remove it,

He didn't actually remove it, though I wanted him to. He just filed it all the way down, but I'm still nervous it will bug me. He was interested in how far I had run barefoot and how it was going. He was excited to have someone to talk about at his next podiatry convention - apparently barefoot running really is the topic of the day. He took the "exception" line of reasoning as to why I can comfortably run barefoot. He said I have "gutsy feet". In general, he's been a good egg about it.

That's nice, J, at least he

That's nice, J, at least he wasn't negative about it and didn't make you feel like a loon. My first podiatrist thought it was cool, my second and third podiatrists thought I was nuts, and my third and final podiatrist didn't have a clue, since I didn't tell him. He did notice that my skin was "thick." He was like, "Hmmm, your skin is quite thick on the pads of your feet. Do you realize this?" I'm like, "Uh, no." He's all, "Must be because you're a runner." And that was it, moved on to the next thing.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts