Another barefooter from the Philippines

Bobby T., so far the only barefooter in my city of Iligan in Mindanao, southern Philippines. Just hooked up with barefooters in the neighboring city of Cagayan de Oro (aka Team Kubal), and hoping to run side-by-side Col. Mike one of these days when I get the chance to go to his area. (I didn't learn about him yet when I visited his typhoon-devastated AOR last January.)

I took quite a looooonnnggg route to barefooting. Started running June last year. After reading B2R, decided to go minimalist and got the Merrell True Glove in September. Then got a pair of huaraches in February after a fellow runner led me to a local maker. Bought a pair from Xeroshoes, too, and another friend made me a pair using airplane tire rubber as sole. After a few runs with the huarache, tried out barefooting, and loved it, and never looked back. But then got injured in my right foot with the heel counter of my Chucks pressing against my heel while shooting a fashion show one evening in March. Sidelined for almost 2 months, but at that time reading Ken Bob's book, agonizing why I couldn't put into practice yet what I was learning. Resumed running only last week, doing it slow, but just in time for IBRD. Ran a 5k w/ a shod buddy, him suppressing a smile with the odd looks I was getting. :)

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Welcome, Bobby! Love your avatar.

Welcome aboard! I was going to say the same as TJ, nice shot there. While the beach might not be ideal for learning I'm sure it's fine every once in a while. My avatar was on a beach too up until I changed it a month or two ago, but not as nice. On a side note, my wife and several of her coworkers were sent to Manila as trainers about 10 yrs ago. I don't know if things were worse then, but they weren't allowed to go to Mindanao!

That shot was taken when I was nursing retrocalcaneal bursitis (there's still a little pain up to now), so I couldn't really run properly. It was my wife's business trip in a resort called Dakak, really nice white beach 6 hours' drive away. I wasn't supposed to run, and it was so tempting to run arond the resort, but I know I can't do it. So I just had to run a few kilometers at the beach, and asked my wife to take a few pics. That was the only time I ran in the beach. My training ground now is the gravel road right in front of our house, and the longer runs in the concrete city streets. But most of it not smooth, the cement already chipped off the surface, revealing the pebbles beneath, or lots of loose pebbles and sand on the surface, too. A challenge, really, but glad I just had my first 10k this morning.

10 years ago, I was happily working on a contract to shoot colorful festivals here in Mindanao for the whole year. But yeah, some embassies of First World countries prohibit their citizens from travelling here. But if you do get a chance to visit here, you'd be surprised to see so many foreigners around here. There are just a few places considered "hot spots" you have to avoid, and you should be okay. :)

Beautiful pictures, beautiful colors, beautiful people.