ANK Review By Jimmy Hart (Please submit your impressions in a post following this story.)

ANK ReviewBy Jimmy Hart
(Please submit your impressions in a post following this story.)
I was recently given the opportunity to test/try out a pair of shoes from a company called ANK. I was very excited about this opportunity as these shoes are not in the same category as the shoes that I typically use. The Kiso model I was sent is a five-toed shoe, but it is not exactly minimal, which made me even more curious about them. I wondered if they would be flexible, if the thicker sole would make them less functional, if they would be comfortable, and if they were made well. All of these questions were answered in a very pleasant and surprising way!Yes, this is a five-toed shoe, but it’s not the ones you think. ANK is a new company to the market with a product that in my opinion is a great bridge of the gap between conventional and minimal shoes. They have two models, the Kiso and the Ninva, which are basically the same shoe except for the number of straps they have to secure the shoe to your foot.
ank3.jpg
These shoes are made of very high quality materials consisting of a mesh for the toe pockets and upper, patent leather wrap for support/shape, and rubber sole. The inside of the shoe is smooth, soft, and seamless. The foot bed is mesh, and I was torn when it came to the use of this material. When I wore the shoes around for walking, to work, or leisure time, they were super comfortable. When I took them out on the first run, the mesh felt rough. I never suffered anything like blisters from it, and the issue seemed to go away with the second and third runs, so it may have just been a one-time thing as I adjusted to the shoes. The toe pockets are roomy, and I felt like I had more than enough room in them. They are also stretchy and soft, which keeps my toes from feeling any friction or discomfort. The straps are placed well for keeping the shoe snug to the foot but not in the way of any foot or ankle movement. They are also comfortable against the skin while making use of soft fabrics where they make contact with the foot. For durability’s sake the lower strap is connected directly to the upper while the top strap is looped through a metal eyelet attached to the shoe. The straps are solid and feel like they will last forever. Both models are open-topped shoes, which was nice for warm weather wear. I had the chance to get them in some colder temps with a pair of toe socks, and my feet were nice and toasty, so they could be a year-round shoe.
ank2.jpg
The sole is where this shoe really sets itself apart from its five-toed competitors. The heel measures in at 15mm, midfoot 7mm, and forefoot 6mm. The drop from heel to toe is comfortable and not constantly noticeable. I did feel at times that it felt somewhat unnatural and think a 12mm heel thickness would make this shoe ideal with its current forefoot thickness but that is just me splitting hairs. The soles are made of a durable rubber that is extremely flexible. I think the flexibility of the sole is the most important part of this shoe. I have long been a supporter of functional shoes, and this shoe is very functional. The foot is free to flex and move in any direction that it wants, and that is extremely important in the development of strong feet. Conventional shoes typically inhibit foot movement and function, and they weaken the feet. ANK has created a shoe that fits in the conventional shoe mold of having a thicker sole but still gives the foot an opportunity to move naturally. The sole is not bouncy or over-cushioned, which allows you to still feel the ground when wearing them. It’s also a very neutral sole that has no arch support, which allows the arch to flex and work for itself, helping to create strong feet while still wearing shoes. The combination of ground feel and foot flexibility make this shoe an ideal option for those who are looking for something like what they are used to but want foot freedom that is commonly found in minimal shoes.
ank4.jpg
I found them very comfortable as an everyday shoe. I really enjoy them for walking, weight lifting, casual wear, as well as staying comfortable while getting me through a long day at work. As a running shoe, they hold their own really well. I was initially concerned that the thicker heel would hinder my ability to maintain my forefoot striking form, but those concerns were unfounded. I found it very easy to maintain my form and run the way I wanted to with little effort or extra focus. I found it very interesting considering my Saucony racing flats have a thinner heel, but I have a much tougher time keeping my form correct in them. I point to the sole materials for this reason. My flats are foam so they take away ground feel through the extra cushioning, while the Kiso’s don’t have all the extra cushioning, and my feet can feel the ground easier. Overall this is a very comfortable shoe to wear for just about any activity.
ank1.jpg
In terms of appearance, I have mixed feelings about the current lineup from ANK. The shoe looks really nice with three different color patterns for each model. The cut of the toes is really nice, as it is shaped more like a conventional shoe so the toes don’t stand out very much. I was able to go through whole days without anyone pointing out my shoes or asking me questions. When I got questions about them, people could tell they were different from the ones I typically wear, and the responses about the shoes were positive. They were positive except for one part of the shoe, which is the patent leather. I had my reservations about the use of this material before I received the shoes but found myself pleasantly surprised when I got them. You notice it for sure, but it didn’t stand out as much as I thought it would. I did, however, get the most comments from onlookers about this aspect of the shoe. Most people were not fond of the shiny leather, but everything else about the shoe was received with a lot of praise. The good people at ANK knew the patent leather might not go over as well as they would like, and they were prepared for that. They have also decided to release a new version of the shoes that uses different materials in response to customer feedback. As much as I like this version, I am very much looking
forward to what they do with these shoes in the future.
ank5.jpg
Before the appearance of minimal shoes on the market in the past few years, I searched long and hard for shoes I could wear as well as recommend for my clients. I have preached the need for strong functional feet for nearly a decade, and finding shoes to allow that was always difficult. ANK has provided me what I was looking for all those years. Not everyone is ready to dive into a shoe with a three millimeter sole, and they need something to wear that will strengthen their feet but not put them at risk of an overuse injury. If you are one of those people, then you will find the ANKs to be what you are looking for. They are a perfect blend of conventional shoe feel with minimal-type functionality, and they definitely have my stamp of approval.For more information or to purchase a pair you can visit their site here.Also while supplies last the price of the original shoe has been dropped and every purchase gets a free pair of toe socks!

Ank is based out of Miami, FL and I would say they are worth the money. They are not necessarily trying to compete, or consider themselves in the same category as the acknowledged leader as you put it. They basically saw a gap in the market and some middle ground that both they and users could benefit from.

I am finding them completely durable and based on that they are worth the money. I'm also one who thinks we minimalists complain too much about the cost of shoes. I've paid $100 for shoes on a near monthly basis for most of my adult life and got at least a few pairs of them a year when I was younger. That's just the shoe industry and I don't mind paying industry standard for products if I feel they are of value. Most of the minimalist shoes out there will outlast any pair of conventional shoes by a long shot so why not shell the same amount of money for something that will last longer?

I wasn't complaining - I am, after all, the guy who has acquired vff Sprints, KSO TrekSports, and SoftStar RunAmocs in the last 6 months :).

Sorry, but when I was a kid my shoes had to last all the course long (from September to June), and they did. I wore them everyday and playedin themfootball and other games before starting classes and during the midmorning half an hour break. I had an additional pair of sports shoes that I exclusively wore in gymnastics and other physical training classes.

I usually had to replace my shoes because they didn't fit anymore.

When I grown up I never replaced my shoes more often than a year either. In fact some of them lasted far longer.In 1997 I purchased a pair of classic(classic = with flexible soles, 1-piece leather uppers, with laces up to the front)high mountain boots (Bestard Colorado). I started wearing them only for hiking and during backpacking trips.

Since 2000 I wore them everyday as my regular shoes, and in several years even along the summer. In 2007 I had to replace them because a plastic midsole below the ball of the foot had a crack that make the replaceable rubber outsole also cracked broken, as a result my foot get soaked under heavy rains.

I replaced them by a pair of Meindl Perfekt boots (a similar kind of boots but heavier and sturdier) that I was wearing everyday for more than 2 years (all that time I've been usually walking more than an hour about 6-7km, and a couple of days a week 2 or 3, 12-18km). These boots also stood "perfectly" for more than 2 years. In fact, they're still looking in very good condition, but since last May I haven't wore them anymore.

Now I only wear minimal shoes (VFFs Sprint and Trek) to help stretch my Achilles tendons, strengthen my foot arches, muscles and joints and so on, you know.

I must admit that as I became wealthier, I started to buy running shoes and I exclusively used them to run. I replaced them every year even though the cushioning midsole didn't last that long, while the rest of the shoe could perfectly last much longer. Now that I have a hole in my pocket I've got a good bunch of minimal shoes that may last forever. I have no intention of throwing them away until they break into pieces (a hole in the sole would be also a good excuse). I don't expect to leave them aside when they become old-fasioned. Either wanted or involuntarily, I never followed fashions.

Hi Jimmy,

These don't appear to be pretending to be VFFs so they would not be fakes. I think a bit of healthy competition is good for everyone. I have some real Vibrams and some "fake" ones too, the fake ones never claimed to be VFFs mind you, just a lot cheaper.

I have done well over 1000km in the "fakes" and they are still going strong. They are similar to Sprints. I run roads in these.

I have "real" Bikilas for trail running.

Not every five toes shoe is a "fake" VFF. That's like saying the first sock ever invented is the only real one, or the first hat...etc.

A minimalist shoe should be minimal in price too, given there is not supposed to be much going on in them anyway right?

Happy runnig :)

I completely agree, Cozzie. The sock analogy is perfect in this case. If it is truly not a stolen Vibram product or using Vibram's name, then it is not a fake; it's just another five-toed shoe.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts