Amphipod AirFlow Microstretch Minimalist Waistpack

Mark Wilkinson

Barefooters
Jun 2, 2012
Ypsilanti, MI
I just ran my first race today, and yesterday I decided I needed a small pack to carry some essentials like my keys, phone, and a credit card and ID. I ended up going with the Amphipod AirFlow Microstretch Waistpack for $20 from REI (http://www.rei.com/product/798346/amphipod-airflow-microstretch-waistpack).

This pack is TINY when empty, and weighs practically nothing. When you put your items in it, the mesh expands and is able to easily accommodate even the largest smartphone. The pack is constructed of a stretchy fine mesh zipper pouch, attached to an elastic belt with a nylon quick-release buckle. I wore the pack so my phone was just below the small of my back and it worked out great. I was able to snug it down enough so it didn't bounce at all, in fact, after the first few miles I completely forgot it was there.

Now I couldn't see adding hydration to this pack, so I might not recommend it for longer runs, but if you are doing a 10K with hydration available on the course, it works perfectly, and you can't beat the price.

893232f4-70dd-4d60-9e66-664d0280c178.jpg

I have the amphipod pack. It worked great for a while and then the belt started to loosen up mid run. I found that the buff/hoorag works better for me around my waist. Even though its just a tubular piece of fabric that has no zippers or closures it keeps my phone or keys in nicely. It NEVER bounces or gets too loose and fits super snug and comfortable. It will stretch out over time and I found that if I wash it it regains some of its elasticity. I've forgotten that I've been wearing it on several occasions. Before I started wearing the buff though the amphipod was the best running belt I found.

How do wear a Buff anywhere but on yer head? What's the technique?

I step into it like a skirt and pull it up over my waist. I fold it so that it creates a pocket first, though.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test