am i getting wussified?

migangelo

Chapter Presidents
Jun 5, 2010
portland, or
i find i'm not handling bf this winter so far. last year i would warm up in two miles. this year i feel my feet getting numb the more i run. i nearly embarassed myself at the jingle bell run the beginning of this month. my feet got numb the further i went instead of warming up.

with this in mind i went on a longer run on saturday with huaraches. my feet still got numb and my right foot more than the other. i can walk around bf ok and wear my sandals all the time without problems.

i ran today and while on the road my feet were cold. it actually snowed well after i was done running. so midway i ran around a golf course on it's wood chip trail. actually met another bf'r who i invited here and i saw a girl overstriding in her vffs. my feet warmed up slightly here. last winter i mostly ran trails.

does anyone else notice any of this going on? do i just need to STF up?

Well, did you get older within the last year? If so, are you now starting your birthdays with a "4"? I'm told that as we "gain life experience" things that we could tolerate before are harder to tolerate now. Case in point: Think about how much you drank in your 20's before falling asleep on the floor in your buddy's house; now think about doing that now - no good, right?

On Bike Forums it's HTFU - harden the F up. Not that I subscribe to any of that nonsense. :eek:

Mike, are you running more pavement this year than you did last year? That could be part of the problem for you. I know with school you've been extremely busy so I don't know if you have the time to bike to WW for your runs. Or, it could be that you already have ice flowing through your veins (wish I had a picture of how you normally dress when it's in the 40's. Anyhow you wear that stocking cap thingy and all those layers of clothes), but then it could just be you're getting colder because as RP said your getting old.

Reactions: happysongbird
Well, did you get older within the last year? If so, are you now starting your birthdays with a "4"? I'm told that as we "gain life experience" things that we could tolerate before are harder to tolerate now.

You poor kids. Wait 'til your birthdays start with a "5". After that nothin's easy!
Or so I'm told. Never mind. :D

ya i don't know. the wet pavement is just sucking the warmth out of my feet. that little bit on the wood chips yesterday helped a little but i had to get back by the road. my feet were warm later but that doesn't help during the run.

oh my plan to run didn't help out my sinus cold or whatever i have going on. my headache got bad last night and i don't feel great so far this morning. oh well. hopefully it clears up for me to fly to the mountains of Mexico and watch the end of the world. oh, how am i going to know if people survived when there's no electricity anywhere? hmm.

Well, did you get older within the last year? If so, are you now starting your birthdays with a "4"? I'm told that as we "gain life experience" things that we could tolerate before are harder to tolerate now.
Have to disagree. I got older too and my birthday starts with a "4". This is my third winter running barefoot and I can tell my feet definitely tolerate more cold than they did the last year. Just ask Barefoot Gentile, I believe he has the same experience. So do not worry Mike, think of the Iceman

It's all in our mind. ;)

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
Dan the older I get the more I can tolerate colder weather too although I think sometimes we tend to forget how we handled the beginning of the winter last year and just remember how we tolerated the end of winter. By the end of winter we had acclimated to it so I'm sure by the end of this winter Mike will be able to tolerate the same temps as last year.

Reactions: paraganek
Dan the older I get the more I can tolerate colder weather too although I think sometimes we tend to forget how we handled the beginning of the winter last year and just remember how we tolerated the end of winter. By the end of winter we had acclimated to it so I'm sure by the end of this winter Mike will be able to tolerate the same temps as last year.
Great point !

I think it's the pavement more than anything - I think it pounds more blood out of the capillaries in your foot than the trails do.

i wish there was some kind of warning for that. i went school to take a final then came home and slept for nearly 20 hours. without eating anything. that's rare for me. i have two tests today but all i wanna do is sleep. too bad i can't make up the tests. it's now or retake the class. no way.

I've also seen our planet revolve around the sun many times, and this winter my cold adaptation is better than last. Last week I ran over five miles through slush and walked another half mile in it. Last winter I only made it a few blocks, less than half a mile, in slush before I had to put on my Moc3 back-ups. I've also improved my dry asphalt tolerance by about 10 degrees Fahrenheit / 5 degrees Celsius; I'm good down to about 10 F now, whereas last winter 20 F was my limit.

Of course, I'm in better shape now too, so my metabolism might be better able to kick in faster. Perhaps with your studies this fall you're not in as good of shape as last year? I've been doing mild barefoot activities in the winter on and off throughout my adult life, but after running barefoot in the winter for the first time last year, I can stay out on the deck grilling, or shoveling the walk, or going for a walk, etc., for a lot longer than before. Of course, it could be that with age I'm just become insensate, insensible, or nonsensical.

Fantastic video Dan! Thanks.

It's true, my first sub-freezing run a month or so ago, I thought, sh!t, that feels cold, but now the same temp is a piece of cake. I actually find myself enjoying the slight numbness of the colder temps now. It's kind of addicting. I'm also more tolerant of rougher surfaces in sub-freezing temps this year.

Have to disagree. I got older too and my birthday starts with a "4". This is my third winter running barefoot and I can tell my feet definitely tolerate more cold than they did the last year. Just ask Barefoot Gentile, I believe he has the same experience. So do not worry Mike, think of the Iceman

It's all in our mind. ;)

Ha! I hardly never venture out to other forums, glad I did and found this!! But yeah for some strange reason I feel very adapted this year to the cold, going into my 3rd winter, and turned 42 in November. But some of you are running in 10F, which is impressive, just curious how long you are running, mileage wise?

The shortest distance I like to run is 5 miles, so far I have ran many 5 milers at 32F, and 26F, nothing lower yet. But during those runs my feet feel the cold, sometimes more than other runs, but after 10 minutes they actually warm up and feel great. For the record I hate the cold, and I have really poor circulation during the winter, I am always cold, but my feet are fine most of time.

Anything below 25F I will put footwear on, but I still have to see how I feel when that happens. It's just starting to get really cold here in Connecticut, so the testing will begin.

It's just all about exposure and experience. Once you feel confident in a low range temperature the more comfortable you feel, and the feet because there are no mental doubts.

... I'm also more tolerant of rougher surfaces in sub-freezing temps this year.

That's just because you are numb.

In all seriousness tough, I am 56 and I can tolerate cold now, better than I did in my 20's. I can go around barefoot in the snow for almost an hour at a time, before having to warm up. It freaks my mom (82) out, "You tell him to get in here right now! He's gonna catch his death of pneumonia!"

That's just because you are numb.

In all seriousness tough, I am 56 and I can tolerate cold now, better than I did in my 20's. I can go around barefoot in the snow for almost an hour at a time, before having to warm up. It freaks my mom (82) out, "You tell him to get in here right now! He's gonna catch his death of pneumonia!"
I see you were joking, butt seriously, the cold tends to magnify the discomfort of debris, much as contact sports hurt more in cold weather. This year I must be more pre-numb insensate, or maybe, as you jestingly suggest, just generally number, unaccountably.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test