Altra Zero Drop footwear commercial

PatrickGSR94

Barefooters
Dec 9, 2011
Just saw this commercial last night:

While I agree that the zero drop and wide toe box are great things to have, I just can't get over the statement "connection lost between foot and ground - zero". *sigh* I guess they're just like all the other companies making "barefoot" shoe claims. If there's a shoe, ya ain't barefoot. And if there's a shoe, ya ain't got a real connection with the ground. :rolleyes:

Reactions: deviantrunner
Sigh.

While I agree that the zero drop and wide toe box are great things to have, I just can't get over the statement "connection lost between foot and ground - zero". *sigh* I guess they're just like all the other companies making "barefoot" shoe claims. If there's a shoe, ya ain't barefoot. And if there's a shoe, ya ain't got a real connection with the ground. :rolleyes:

I agree. I was a little upset when they came out with the Insinct that had the stability wedge, that went against everything they were trying to promote (natural running). Looked like they were headed the direction of all the other shoe companies. I still like their shoes and I will be checking out their Superior when it comes out. I just need to ignore their marketing.

Ah, but Rick, the difference exists. With Altra you control whether or not you need the stability. It's a removable insole piece (like the rock guard in the superior). For a guy like me it's brilliant. I still have issues on long mileage and I actually considered the Provision (think about it..Provisional..as in 'just in case you need it') because I could run it with or without that little bit of support. The Instinct 1.5 was more comfortable of an upper, though so I went with it. I would love to see that varus wedge as an accessory you could buy to fit in any Altra shoe for a more custom experience.

The other thing to remember is they aren't marketing to get barefoot runners to their shoes. They are competing with the running shoe paradigm as a whole, with the elevated heel and MOAR CUSHION mentality for shelf and mindspace with consumers. I've run many miles in my Instincts now, and compared to the Mizuno running shoes I was in, there is a definite improvement in ground feel and the zero drop, firm, not-too thick (compared to most running shoes) midsole gives a greatly improved connection to the ground when running. I think the BFR community kinda knee jerks to overly criticize any footwear company that tries to appeal to a more natural approach than the general market offers. Not everyone wants to be a barefoot runner. Joe average running shop customer is scared of 5-fingers, super minimalists, etc. The Instinct and a form clinic can greatly improve a great number of runners' running health. I take no issue with Altra's approach.

At least they didn't say 'better than barefoot' or 'like barefoot only better...'

Holy cow, I thought that red and black shoe of theirs looked pretty good (first shoe of theirs I thought looked good) in that commercial so I just went to their site to figure out what shoe it was, Instinct 1.5 btw, and noticed that it has a total stack height of 22mm! Wow, I didn't realize they were so thick. I thought I may have found an option for when I wear shoes, but at that thickness I don't know, that just seems way too thick. Bummer.

Why the disdain for these guys but invisible shoes that claim this on their site: "The Barefoot... PLUS!" get a pass and are given away on the forums? I'm not condemning the invisible shoes I'm getting ready to go run in a pair. But both seem to be using the same marketing tactics. The altras are a great gateway drug it seems. I've shown them to a few friends who think barefooting is crazy but are interested in minimal running. Once they see how great that is maybe barefooting will be next. That is exactly the transition I went through on shoes. Read "born to run" -> buy minimal shoes -> try barefeet -> enjoy!

Ah, but Rick, the difference exists. With Altra you control whether or not you need the stability. It's a removable insole piece (like the rock guard in the superior). For a guy like me it's brilliant. I still have issues on long mileage and I actually considered the Provision (think about it..Provisional..as in 'just in case you need it') because I could run it with or without that little bit of support. The Instinct 1.5 was more comfortable of an upper, though so I went with it. I would love to see that varus wedge as an accessory you could buy to fit in any Altra shoe for a more custom experience.

The other thing to remember is they aren't marketing to get barefoot runners to their shoes. They are competing with the running shoe paradigm as a whole, with the elevated heel and MOAR CUSHION mentality for shelf and mindspace with consumers. I've run many miles in my Instincts now, and compared to the Mizuno running shoes I was in, there is a definite improvement in ground feel and the zero drop, firm, not-too thick (compared to most running shoes) midsole gives a greatly improved connection to the ground when running. I think the BFR community kinda knee jerks to overly criticize any footwear company that tries to appeal to a more natural approach than the general market offers. Not everyone wants to be a barefoot runner. Joe average running shop customer is scared of 5-fingers, super minimalists, etc. The Instinct and a form clinic can greatly improve a great number of runners' running health. I take no issue with Altra's approach.

At least they didn't say 'better than barefoot' or 'like barefoot only better...'

Thanks Lomad. Excellent points. I do have to remind myself often that not everyone want to be barefoot or even try minimal shoes. The Instinct was a perfect choice for my brother who was having knee problems. There was no way he was going to try barefoot or min shoes. He went from no running to completing two marathon's in 1.5 years and he gives the shoes a lot of credit. One day I will transition back to shoes. I just like nasty, rocky trails and I am too slow barefoot, and I am glad that there are many options out there.

Reactions: Lomad
grrrr why am I getting email notifications on this thread even though I have my profile set to NOT send email notifications??

Patrick, look on those emails and near the bottom is says "to stop recieving email, please change your watching options for this thread". This is a link that you can click. For me it's easiest to have to browsers open, one where I am signed in to the BRS, and the other where I am in my email. Click the link in the email at this point. Then when the newest screen opens up click the unwatch or whatever it is for THIS THREAD. Not sure why the main switch in your profile settings does not over ride this. You should be all set when you do this.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Why the disdain for these guys but invisible shoes that claim this on their site: "The Barefoot... PLUS!" get a pass and are given away on the forums? I'm not condemning the invisible shoes I'm getting ready to go run in a pair. But both seem to be using the same marketing tactics. The altras are a great gateway drug it seems. I've shown them to a few friends who think barefooting is crazy but are interested in minimal running. Once they see how great that is maybe barefooting will be next. That is exactly the transition I went through on shoes. Read "born to run" -> buy minimal shoes -> try barefeet -> enjoy!

I sigh to all of it. Trust me. It doesn't get away from me. And Steven knows how I feel. His marketing campaign, because of "our" opinions has changed in his new company, Xero Shoes, and he won't be using the "Better than Barefoot" slogan anymore. And who said we couldn't affect change?

grrrr why am I getting email notifications on this thread even though I have my profile set to NOT send email notifications??

Because I have it set as default for everyone to receive them...for now. We are prepping the site for the new module. Check out the thread in the Site Help forum to read all about it.

Holy cow, I thought that red and black shoe of theirs looked pretty good (first shoe of theirs I thought looked good) in that commercial so I just went to their site to figure out what shoe it was, Instinct 1.5 btw, and noticed that it has a total stack height of 22mm! Wow, I didn't realize they were so thick. I thought I may have found an option for when I wear shoes, but at that thickness I don't know, that just seems way too thick. Bummer.
Those are the ones I have, Nick. I thought the stack was in the 15-17 mm range...Oh well, every place that lists them has it different, lol. Compared to huaraches or similar you certainly can't compare. I do, however, get some groundfeel. The midsole foam is a firm one. Go to Fit Right and try it on; you may be pleasantly surprised. They are w-i-d-e through the whole foot (provision is wider. remove the varus insert and you have an even wider instinct...) and flat as the proverbial pancake. If I gotta be in shoes, I'ma be in Altras from here on out, most likely.

Though I may be tempted by minimus zeros...

Tim, the 22 mm stack height (from their official site) is the total height, so maybe it is the 15-17 without the insole in... I will have to go in there to Fit Right, I was just there this past weekend but I did not see those, although they look like normal shoes so I may have just completely overlooked them. I was looking to try on the Lemings so I really didn't look at anything else. Oh, I guess I did try on the Inov8 Bare-X Lite 150, but they are so narrow I could barely get three toes in them. Man I hate having funky wide feet.

Reactions: Lomad
I like the add and I wouldn't expect marketers attempting to appeal to people who want to wear shoes but have a more natural ride to do anything but compare it to barefoot. I agree with Grizzly that there can often be an over-reaction from the BF'ing community to this kind of thing. I think everyone has to realise that strict BF'ers are not the target market for a shoe commercial!

Reactions: NickW and Lomad
Patrick, look on those emails and near the bottom is says "to stop recieving email, please change your watching options for this thread". This is a link that you can click. For me it's easiest to have to browsers open, one where I am signed in to the BRS, and the other where I am in my email. Click the link in the email at this point. Then when the newest screen opens up click the unwatch or whatever it is for THIS THREAD. Not sure why the main switch in your profile settings does not over ride this. You should be all set when you do this.

What I did was unwatch this thread, and then click on the Watch Thread again, but selected the no email option. Seems to be all good now.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Wide is good, but I don't know about funky. Depends on your definition. I am in the same situation with wide. Nothing fits. Altras are close, but still squeeze the sides. I found some Doc Martin boots that fit for work, but like most boots, the soles are stiff and I've got to cut the heel off of them.
I guess I never knew my feet were slightly funky until one of the runners at our group run this last weekend asked me if my feet were swollen while we were standing there waiting for everyone to show up. Of course I looked at my feet and replied nope, this is normal. Then I started looking at everyone else's feet, sure enough, my feet ARE different. No wonder I have such a hard time finding shoes. I have a normal heel and then my foot flares out along the outside edge pretty drastically making my midfoot abnormally wide, which is where I have problems with most shoes fitting.

I guess I never knew my feet were slightly funky until one of the runners at our group run this last weekend asked me if my feet were swollen while we were standing there waiting for everyone to show up. Of course I looked at my feet and replied nope, this is normal. Then I started looking at everyone else's feet, sure enough, my feet ARE different. No wonder I have such a hard time finding shoes. I have a normal heel and then my foot flares out along the outside edge pretty drastically making my midfoot abnormally wide, which is where I have problems with most shoes fitting.
So Rick, here is a picture of my feet, which you can see how they flare out in the midfoot.
IMG_3643.JPG

Wow! Them's some wide feet right there!