Ahhhh...a week of paradise

Abide

Barefooters
May 13, 2010
Well an entire week of no shoes. We spent the week in the mountains of Colorado. It was a great time. And I wasn't asked once at any store to put on some shoes. I love CO. We built a house up there a few years back and are considering renting it out as a vacation rental. My wife came up with the name "Barefoot Mountain Cabin". The funny thing is she isn't a convert but I guess I am getting close eh?

I did budge a bit one day and don my ff's for a couple of hours. We were hiking a 14er and at about 13,500 my feet were getting pretty beat up. It was a pretty tough trail with a lot of climbing, scrambling and snow, not to mention no oxygen. It is hard hiking with other shod hikers. They can haul ass down the hill and I practically have to run to keep up. On the other hand I have way better grip while climbing.

I love bf hiking it's

I love bf hiking it's awesome. No better feeling like being connected with mother nature. I wish places around here was as bf friendly as there, but they want to be pricks about it! They way I see it, it is a matter of personal preference, nobody should be allowed to decide that for you. I don't get where these anti-barefoot people are coming from, they have no foundation to be anti- barefoot, it's not there feet to worry about, right? But, anyway, congrats on the hike, it's always a joy to hike bf. If i ever found a place that didn't ask me to put on shoes, I would move there!

Seems like the PERFECT

Seems like the PERFECT vacation and beautiful! Snow-topped mountains...still...near July...sounds wonderful. Did you get close to the snow at all? Was it cold up there?

Yeah I had to make multiple

Yeah I had to make multiple treks through snow, and found out that vff's make great sleds :). You get way better traction barefoot. It was perfect hiking weather around 45-50 the whole way.

Very refreshing, especially

Very refreshing, especially this time of year, to get away from all the heat and humidity.

If and when I ever leave

If and when I ever leave Bavaria, Colorado is going to be high up on the list of places to settle down in. I was stationed at Ft Carson and after Uncle Sam released me, my wife and I had every intention on staying there. But the employment prospects were miserable at that time and we wound up back in NY where I began. And when we got sick of that, which took about nine years, it was a toss up between Co and Ger. Germany won out, but a piece of both of us is still there, under the endless sky in the Garden of the Gods, waiting for the next hail storm...

Did I mention your story moved me, Abide, lol... thanks :)