I'm 16 (Matt your not alone. 

I'm 16 (Matt your not alone. But I'm pretty sure there are only two of us, so we're still a bit out of place.)

I started running in eighth grade, but I was a sprinter then, and no one practices sprinting by themselves. Then sophomore year I tried cross country, and thats when I really started running. I've been barefooting since about July, but the point at which my BF mileage over-took my shod mileage was August first (really I just stopped running in shoes.)

I am completely new here as

I am completely new here as you can tell by my post count...I am 26.

I have not ran barefoot yet and I probably won't til June of next year. Last week in the mail, I did get the nike free 3.0 I ordered (I know...still a shoe :) But compared to my old shoes, they are 500 times better! I have just recently got interested in running. Of course it is part of my job (Army) and before I left for my year, I vowed to come back in some kind of better shape than what I left in. I saw someone walking here on base with VFF's, looked them up and I was hooked. I will be getting a pair of them in the coming weeks!

ok ok....I'll admit...I'm

ok ok....I'll admit...I'm two years shy of 40....but that's all I'm admitting too...right now anyway....

I've just turned 45.

I've just turned 45. (eek!)

Been running for about 7 years, in minimal shoes for the last year, and gradually doing more barefoot since April this year. Up to 3x5km per week BF, and today did my 1st 7km BF. Still doing my longer runs, and those on rocky terrain on shoes. (VFF or water shoes)

Marc

What a diverse group we

What a diverse group we have! It's so great to see the different ages, locations, and reasons for getting into this "crazy" hobby of ours.

I'm 42, been running off and on since I was about 8 years old, but more "religiously" as I've aged. I ran shod until February of this year then switched to VFFs, and then figured why not take it a step further and go barefoot? I started that transition in April. I'm definitely still a n00b but at least I'm finally starting to figure it all out as far as what works for me.

I'm 43.  I've been running

I'm 43. I've been running since I was 16. Took the usual time off here and there and have been committed to it without fail for the last 8 years or so. I've been barefooting for a little over a year and a half. There's just nothing like it!

I turned 42 earlier this year

I turned 42 earlier this year and started running 7 or 8 years ago.

Started experimenting with BF/MR running in '97 and went fulltime at the beginning of this year.

I've been running at least

I've been running at least each summer since 1980...I'm 48 now but never really became serious about running till I started barefooting in 2005...since then I feel like I'm getting younger not older!

I think Shacky up there is getting younger now too with the miles he is running now!

this is a depressing

this is a depressing thread... I'm 32, ran sporadically in my 20's, but not consistently till last november, then I ran a half in march, tore a miniscus in april, started BF in may soo..... only 4 months BFR...hmmm I thought it was longer=)

I am 38 as bad as I hate to

I am 38 as bad as I hate to admit it lol. Most say I look 25 and that's no joke. I love people like that. I have been running barefoot for almost a year now. Before I have been on a 4 yr break from a bad knee and IT band injury running shod of course. I ran shod for 16yrs before the multitude of injuries. My transition is still continuing I have had MT issues and went through alot of newbie mistakes, but I have found that I can run better on gravel and trails than I can on pavement or concrete. So I am finally getting a grip on bfr and loving it more all the time!

I'm 38 and I like it. I

I'm 38 and I like it. I don't have any hangups about aging.

I started running in Feb or March of 2009, ditched the big shoes in August. I still suck as a runner (I hae a severe motivation deficiency), but my shins don't hurt anymore.

I'm 35.  I took up running

I'm 35. I took up running about 9 or 10 years ago. Mainly, I was a pretty lazy runner, running 15-20 mpw. I've had a couple of kids, and although I ran during my pregnancies, it was really tough for me to get back into running during the postpartum periods.

I started barefoot running almost a year ago, mainly because I couldn't find a pair of shoes I liked. So I gave the shoes two middle fingers. Barefoot running has made a much better runner out of me. I'm running faster and farther than ever.

54.Did alot of running when

Did alot of running when I was younger, cross country in h.s.

But just getting back to it the past few months.

Have run barefoot 3 times total the past 30 days, did a bare foot 30 minute run on the beach this morning.

LOL, ramzev, I too have a cigar habit i need to lose.

Not yet, Norm.  ;-)  I didn't

Not yet, Norm. ;-) I didn't feel that way under 43 either, now I'm 44.

It's really interesting to

It's really interesting to hear how old everyone is...some surprises!

I'm 33. As of next Tuesday I will have been running for 11 months (started 10/28/09.) I did my first barefoot run on 7/4 of this year, so almost 3 months barefoot with a bit of minimalist thrown in there here and there.

Age 47. I started running in

Age 47. I started running in college in 1983 and ran regularly until the early 1990s. I gained about 40 lbs between then and now and tried to start running again many times in the interim but I was always thwarted by knee and ankle pain which sometimes left me hobbling for days. Using custom orthos in my Brooks Beasts did not help at all. Then last winter I came upon a article titled "You Walk Wrong" which made total sense.

Within a week I was wearing Terra Plana Aquas at work and tried running in them a few weeks later. I then got a pair of VFF Sprints and started the Couch to 5K program. After finishing the C25K I got a tibial stress fracture. My wife had observed that while I was midfoot landing my heels were still hitting hard. I also had a horrible form with arms and legs out of control (but even so I had no knee pain). I was an example what can occur with thinking the VFFs were "just as good as BF".

After a 3 week rest in April I started out again BF and really concentrated on my form which has made a huge difference. BF gives me the feedback I need to keep working on my form and it is just more fun! I'm not a purist, if I run on consecutive days or on gravel or trails I'll wear huaraches, ZEMs, or shoes. My longest BF run is 5 miles and it is still amazing to me that I can run with no knee pain. My goal is to get to 180lbs and a half marathon in the spring and a full marathon by the fall of 2011.

David

I am 38. I am such a

I am 38. I am such a nonrunner that I can pinpoint one time in my life that I ran voluntarily before the age of 35 - I used to walk for fitness when I was 15 and once I tried running for 5 minutes. I never tried again out of sheer embarrassent and I actually walked the whole mile for the Presidential Fitness Test. I had knees that would lock up, though, which got worse when I was pregnant and I found myself running the corridors at work to loosen them up. I really just developed this strong desire to run that got stronger and stronger with each pregnancy. I aso felt running could fix my knee problem which was making sitting in a car or an airplane excrutiating. On December 7, 2007 I ran for the first time, almost a mile with a trainer in my brand new NB 790's picked out for me at the local shoe store. Barefoot and minimalist since February after an aborted start last July in socks and KSO's. Never even remotely had knee issues again, even when I've had layoffs for injury.

I'm 53.  After reading

I'm 53. After reading through this whole thread I've decided that there's a sort of watershed age between 40 and 50 wherein I started to think more about how happy I am to be still here and less about how long I've been here.

I ran CC in high school, stopped, then took it up again a few years after college. I ran with the Houston Track Club and was among the fastest of the slow runners. My favorite race was the 10 mile, and I'd do that in 6 minute miles, give or take a few seconds. I moved north to VA, stopped running and gained 40 lbs (mostly upper body, I'd point out - I started climbing trees for a living.) I tried to get back into it in 1987 running the Marine Corp Marathon, but crashed out of that and may as well have thrown my shoes away. I didn't run again until last summer, when super supportive GF suggested I give it a try again. My legs nearly felt destroyed and my knees in particular screamed in agony - after just a week!

Born to Run changed my life. I read it last winter (and listened to it on disc several times since) and knew I had to try this BF thing. I didn't run a step until May, as a new job and shad season got in the way. I started out on a local trail, running 20 minutes, then 22, then half an hour. Now I can happily go for 10 miles on a paved path or somewhat less on a rougher surface. I've run purely BF up until Labor Day when I got a pair of VFF Bikilas. After an initial honeymoon with them, I'm back to 90%+ BF. I'll save the VFFs for special occasions, like my upcoming 10 mile trail run on Halloween (Evansburg Park in PA)

I am very happy to have found such a fine community of co-adventurers here at the BRS. We are the few, the odd, the unshod!

JosephTree wrote:I'm 53. 

JosephTree said:
I'm 53. After reading through this whole thread I've decided that there's a sort of watershed age between 40 and 50 wherein I started to think more about how happy I am to be still here and less about how long I've been here.

I agree! Still being here is alot better than not being able to type this message. I've known folks who have died as early as 12 and as old as 92. I am 38 and I have seen more people younger than me die than old. The fact that we live yet another day is a miracle daily. Anyone of us can go at a moments notice, I have unfortunately experienced it first hand, most recent my mother died of massive heart attack on march 14th of 2010. No sign and no clue, it just happened. To be alive is a good thing, cherish every moment of it!

I am 39. I started running in

I am 39. I started running in 2005. I switched to VFF in November 2009. Started completely barefoot (weather permitting) in August 2010.

Going back to baby duties but I constantly read the forums
wink.png

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts