Achilles Tendonitus AND Plantars Fasciitis

If it matters, I regret

If it matters, I regret taking off 2 months from running. It honestly hurts just as much 2 months later as it did when I first injured it. The odd thing is I always pushed active recovery before and I am not sure why I didn't listen to my own advice. Never again, even on a serious injury.

hmm, i'm not making myself

hmm, i'm not making myself clear. i believe it was the accumulation of the miles and running with the pain 2 months prior. the last bit was where your body said enough, if you wont rest i'll make you rest. your hurt now and recovery is what's most important. next will be building up and noticing the small signals. rest is just as important as exercise, if not more.

All I've done is rest the

All I've done is rest the last week and a half. Oh wait I guess I did do the 2 yoga poses yesterday, forgot about that. We went furniture shopping this weekend and walked around a little bit through the two stores and after that I could barely walk again it flared up so bad. I didn't really walk that much because we found our new furniture in the first five minutes of the first store so it was pretty depressing.

I just reread my earlier response Mike and I sounded a little cranky, sorry didn't mean for that to read that way.

Abide, what do you mean active recovery?

Basically keep running, but

Basically keep running, but slow and shorter distances (3-5 miles, but longer than 2), ice right when you are done and massage it throughout the day. I use Arnica all the time and roll my legs at least once a day. I also stand up now all day, I don't think sitting at work was helping either.

Getting out of bed and walking down the stairs in the morning is the worst. So staying on my feet all day keeps the blood flowing and the pain is pretty minor. However if you are in unbareable pain I probably wouldn't listen to this advice, something else is going on.

Oh ok Abide.  For right now I

Oh ok Abide. For right now I am just going to try to rest and see if that helps. I tried the going slow and working through it but it seems to have made it worse so...

Nick and Mike - settle down

Nick and Mike - settle down children! Or I will spank you both!
wink.png

Ok BFP (Jen) settle down

Ok BFP (Jen) settle down now. I'm not entirely sure how or what you mean by Mike making me rest. He couldn't make me do much more than I'm doing right now. I feel like a total lardo because I'm not doing anything. The only time I've ever been more sedentary was when I was on bedrest directly after both back surgeries. That is just how much rest I'm getting.

Bwahahhaaaa that was YOUR

Bwahahhaaaa that was YOUR body talking not Mike. Lol.

Ok so I just wanted to give

Ok so I just wanted to give an update. Yesterday I did a 57 minute P90x stretching video which is a combo of stretching and yoga. I felt fine afterwards but later in the afternoon I was a little tender again and felt like my heel was slightly burning. This morning on the other hand I feel like I've never had an injury what so ever on my heel. I haven't felt this good in at least two months. Now, I am not going to go run on it yet, but I do think I will do the P90x stretching video again. That is the only thing that I really did differently yesterday so maybe that is a sign of I just need to stretch more. I will let everyone know of my progress with this. Maybe I don't have to sell my race ticket next month!

That has been working for me

That has been working for me too. Stretching up high in the low back, glute and ham string region especially.

Glad to hear about your progress.

Thanks Abide! I just got done

Thanks Abide! I just got done with the stretching video and I am flat amazed by the difference between yesterday and today. Yesterday on one of the stretches I could barely touch my shins, today, I could touch the floor with my fingertips. I used to be able to put my palms on the floor prior to my back surgeries so this is great progress. I don't know if the fusion will ever let me get that far again but to get as far as I did today was amazing. I was wound tighter than snot I think. Lets hope this stretching/yoga keeps the PF and AT away and that I keep improving.

I have the same P90X

I have the same P90X program. Are you talking about the Yoga stretches? Those are good. I hope to be able to get on my feet soon, so I can start my P90X program.

I can walk without my surgical shoes, but if I'm on my feet for more than two to three minutes, I start to have PF pain. I hope I don't have to deal with that again! It only makes sense though, right? I mean I can't place much weight on the balls of my feet so my plantar fascia and heels are having to carry all the load.

Nick - yaaay!  And DO NOT

Nick - yaaay! And DO NOT sell your ticket! I actually had a pretty serious ankle injury about a year ago. It hurt almost as bad on the 6th day I was off of it, as when it happened, when magically...it literally disappeared over night. So you just never know! Besides, you don't want to miss out on wearing that green tutu!

TJ it was the x-stretch or

TJ it was the x-stretch or stretch-x video. Can't remember the exact title of it. I will start the yoga video Monday I think, I just haven't been brave enough to do it yet. This particular video is a little bit of yoga and a little bit of static stretching. I was getting at my wits end so I just wanted to try something, last night I was regretting it but today it really seems to have paid off. Hope it stays that way. Glad to hear you've been able to start walking a little, even if it isn't very long yet. You're making great progress and before long you'll be flying down the road.

Jen, don't worry I will not sell my ticket and I will most definately wear the green tutu, assuming I heal well enough to be able to race. I guess I can change it from the 15k if I need to down to a lower one, but I kind of have my heart set on the 15k. Thinking about doing the Wildwood half this year, Daniel suggested it and it is pretty cheap. I think only $35, but they only have a limited amount of spots so I will have to register soon.

Nick,Have you tried the 90

Nick,

Have you tried the 90 minute yoga-x? You may like it even better than x-stretch, but it is more intense and has more balance postures such as crane, tree, warrior 3, and my favorite half moon to twisting half moon.

Jim

My 2 cents:For achilles

My 2 cents:

For achilles tendonitis, eccentric heel drop exercises are one of the best things you can do (running also involves eccentrically loading the calf, so running is itself a good way to help the achilles heal). From what I've read, and from my own experience, rest doesn't help the achilles. Also, massage is good. Both of these things are supposed to help get rid of the scar tissue which makes the tendon weak. I've not had PF, but from what I've heard, it's essentially a symptom of weak feet. So, the solution is to continue to make your feet stronger (ie keep running and doing whatever other foot strengthening exercises you like). Based on my own experience, and what I've heard from others, these things can take time to fully resolve (like months probably). Also, you can use a hard ball to roll and massage the bottom of your foot (for the PF).

You can injure the PF without

You can injure the PF without have weak feet. I got a bad case of PF from antibiotics once. I'm starting to have the same problem from taking antibiotics this time after my two recent surgeries.

PF from antibiotics, that's

PF from antibiotics, that's interesting (and sucks too, of course). Did you do anything special to recover from that? Or did it just dissipate over time?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts