A story of the poor kangaroo or the ignorant hypocrite...your choice.

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
You guys are gonna love this one!

Apparently, this lady just found out that Vibram has been killing kangaroos in order to make some of their VFF footwear, and she's p!ssed about it. I checked out her site just a little. It's very professional, and she's done a good job with it. But she's proved to me quite quickly that she is a hypocrite. She has a Fitness Style Guide link, and just a quick check, as I suspected would be there, she is promoting other products that use goat and cow leather, and she admits she buys leather out of "necessity."

Now get this... She says: Shame on the fitness industry for allowing this to happen! (Like she's not part of the fitness industry.) Then she adds: I know that animals are being killed everyday to make all kinds of clothing items that we, as consumer, purchase without thinking twice about (PETA and animal-free folks, I'm obviously excluding you here). And yes, I buy leather products often and know that a lot of my sneakers are made from it. I'll justify that by saying that most of these products are necessities. But a barefoot runner? C'mon now. It doesn't make any sense to me. Most human beings already own a pair of bare feet. Killing kangaroos for this kind of sneaker is not necessary, it's cruel and unfashionable.

Check it out here: http://mizzfit.com/view/post/kangaroos_are_being_killed_to_make_toe_shoes_vibram_fivefingers_footwear/

My personal opinion...It's okay that she has sympathies for these animals, as I do, but it's not okay in my book to place one type of animal's life ahead of another. If it is bad to kill one type of animal for its by-product, then it's bad to kill any type of animal for it's by-product.

Note: From what I understand about kangaroo in Australia is it's pretty much like our deer here in the U.S., that is where emotions and abundancy is concerned.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test