A step backward into shoes?

chuckcwall

Barefooters
Jul 14, 2011
Reluctantly, I've started running in shoes again. I've had Achilles tendon problems that just keep coming back over a year after the initial injury. My latest doctor, who does endorse barefoot/minimalist running overall, suggested that I wear a more supportive shoe with a little bit of heel drop.

So I've been running lately in the Newton Distancia, which feels weird, wobbly, and awkward, but here's the thing: I'm able to run in those without pain in my Achilles tendon.

Has anyone else had this kind of issue, and if so, when/how did you transition back into barefoot/minimalist?

Which other "transitional" shoes out there would you recommend? New Balance Minimus?
Thanks, everyone!

Sorry to hear that you are having those types of issues, can't help with your question but I would check out the New Balance Minimus line, the Skora line and or the Invo-8's. I have heard good things about all of them. Heal quickly.

I tried the NB RC1400 for a while which really seemed to help and allowed me to run again with less pain, like you. They are fairly light and I didn't feel wobbly in them despite the higher heel-toe drop (and I was still able to run with a midfoot strike in them easily). Now I am back to barefoot and zero drop footwear and I am doing good. For me, when switching back to the zero drop I am finding I do really well as long as I don't push the distance at all. I am fine with that as I enjoy just being able to get out and run. Good luck!

Reactions: Sid
try on a bunch of minimal/minimalish shoes. Since bf/minimal running, I'm more fussy than ever before on how shoes fit and feel, and how they fit my foot shape.

I am running in merrell bare access and merrell mix master these days since it help my keep on running despite some pain behind the toes under the foot.

i am aware that it is not the best solution, but have my first 6 hour run coming up in 3 weeks..

I keep working on the problem and especially the strength of my feet. So i think that as a solution i can wear shoes with soles and a bit of support - but i do not use it as a permanent solution, but plan on going back to the minimalist shoes as vivobarefoot and merrell road gloves

I had pain in my achilles, but I found it was really a calf issue. Rolling my calves helped them relax and reduced the strain on my achilles. It took about 4 months, but the issue has disappeared. Changing to dropped shoes, in my n+1 opinion, will just prolong the problem. But, everyone runs their own race and you've got to make your own decisions. I'm just not sure doctors always have all the information. Just my two cents.

I alternate between barefoot and Aqua Lites. The only adjustment that I make is lifting my feet a bit more when I run on sidewalks in shoes to account for the occasional elevated pice of concrete due to tree roots.