A Kilt Review By SayPay45 - Contains "off-humor"

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
A Kilt Review By SayPay45
Sport Kilt
Be prepared to wipe your eyes (for a couple of reasons)

Great...another barefoot runner in a kilt talking about how awesome they are.

Well folks, I'm not one to toot a company's horn unless there's something in it for me. There isn't this time...I already asked. Begged really. But I'm writing a review of this product because, although I don't get serious often, I am serious about what hangs between my legs.

I've read reviews on the Sport Kilt before. I never thought I would buy one, much less wear it for running. It doesn't matter how manly you try to make it, at the end of the day this is straight up "dudes running in dresses." I've looked at pictures of a lot of my friends running in kilts. You guys...for the most part, you look ridiculous. But then again, you all aren't genetically superior, semi-attractive, 6'7" foot tall, lanky local superheros with amazing legs. Regardless, despite the fact that my male running friends have taken to looking like Catholic school girls, I've been intrigued by the idea of kilt running for some time. Maybe it's because I'm attracted to things that are different and somewhat wrong. Maybe it's because I'm tired of wedgies. Maybe deep down I'm a cross dresser. Whatever these weird feelings were, I had to explore them further.

My experience with the Sport Kilt began when I signed up for my local Halloween fun run, the Ortho Monster Dash Half Marathon. I'm racing it as a tune up race with Team in Training for the big event: The Honolulu Marathon, this December. And it's a Halloween run, so costumes are optional. I never miss a chance to run in costume, so the search for a half marathon-friendly costume was on. Thus my purchase from Sport Kilt of a Firefighter tartan Original Sport Kilt and Highland Shirt for a costume I am entitling "Swedish-looking Scottish Guy."

My plan was to buy the Sport Kilt under the guise of this Halloween costume, so that I didn't have to openly admit that I was buying it because I had drank the kilt running Kool-Aid. Then after the race, I could proclaim with astonishment how comfortable it really was and blame my kilt conversion on coincidental costume choice. Eureka! What a plan!

But I'll admit, after I ordered the kilt I was giddier than the Jersey Shore kids at a tanning salon. I tracked that package with UPS online from the kilt factory to my front door. Then I rushed home early to get my package before the family got home so I could try it on without any heckling.

Like I mentioned above, I bought the Firefighter tartan Original Sport Kilt. Original meaning that it's like the Toyota Camry of kilts. No frills. Just good, honest plaid skirt-itude. The Firefighter tartan means that a portion of my purchase will be donated toward the National Fallen Firefighters Association. I'm not above running in a man dress for charity, so I was all in. Here's a picture of the tartan:

Then I got on all the normal things I wear when I run in the dark: headlamp, reflector vest, etc. After that, I thought I looked a little ridiculous...kind of like an Irish miner.

After suiting up, I headed out into a brisk, 45 degree night. I immediately felt the cold in places I've never felt it before....i.e., up my dress. It was like a cool, bad touch from Mother Nature. So I immediately became concerned for the safety of Mr. Tallywhacker. There's a reason that the hockey athletic supporter was invented in 1895 and required in all games, but the helmet wasn't required until the 1990s. Men are serious about their Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones. I'm not about to let my little swimmers play in a cold pool. So I decided that this was not an underwear optional night. The "traditional" test would have to wait.

Actually, once I started out, the fruit platter was fine and well protected. All of that fabric that I complained about earlier actually kept it nice and warm up in the promised land.

I started out at around an 8:00 min/mile pace to see how all this material around my legs would affect my performance, and I was pleasantly surprised. The kilt didn't move much at all as I ran. And, I'm assuming because the material wasn't attached to my leg, the kilt didn't feel any heavier than running shorts.

One thing I really noticed was FREEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! My high school basketball coach was right...it really is all about ball movement. This aspect makes it a lot easier to ignore the whole cross dressing thing. It is THE selling feature of the kilt in my opinion. I was so comfortable that I didn't even mind when a group of kids honked and laughed at me. I was comfortable, and that's all that mattered.

In fact, getting honked at made me remember when I read Barefoot Jason's review of the Sport Kilt on his blog. Now granted, he isn't nearly the wordsmith I am. And he is kind of a sell-out (BTW, Jason is a friend of mine...and I'm only half serious about the sell-out thing). But one point he made stuck out loud and clear. That was his comparison of kilted running to barefoot running, at least in terms of the embarrassment/weird factor. Barefoot running is weird and different. You're going to get funny looks. You're going to get things yelled at you. And you're eventually going to get over it because it feels good to you. Then you embrace your weirdness, because it's what makes you awesome. Kilted running is weird in the same way. You're going to get the same reaction. Eventually I think I'll be okay with kilt wearing just as I am okay being barefoot.

I'll keep you posted on my kilted adventures as I wear it more. I'm not sure where this will take me. Hopefully it will take me to somewhere where there is free sh!t. For now, I'm just going to enjoy the comfort of this kilt until it's too cold in Minnesota to wear a skirt. Adios!

I meant "off-color."  Hee.

I meant "off-color." Hee.

SayPay's humor IS a bit off,

SayPay's humor IS a bit off, but I can totally appreciate it.

And that's why I asked him to

And that's why I asked him to share it here. Hee.

Well, you actually asked if

Well, you actually asked if you could post it here. I was first promised a front-page spread. Then it was determined that I am too "off-color" for the general public, and I was relegated to the bar. Probably where I belong :drunk:

I'm still surprised that Miss Kilt-Knocker wanted to post this masterpiece of writing. Unless she's a closet Scottie herself.

So, seriously (or maybe not

So, seriously (or maybe not so), beause I'm kind of thinking of getting a kilt now: When you run with a kilt, are you "freeballing'"? Is that the advantage of them? That you don't end up with a rash or anything down there from underwear and stuff rubbing?

Or is it purely for the visual effect?

Kilt-curious,

John

Some of us freeball while

Some of us freeball while wearing the kilt. I usually don't unless it's hot outside. I wear some compression shorts. Regardless, the advantage is the lack of fabric between the legs. It feels a ton more comfortable than wearing shorts or pants.

But yeah...the downside is the risk of chafe. Bodyglide is a must.

And it's not for visual effect. The visual effect is of a dude in a skirt.

I've been thinking real hard

I've been thinking real hard about getting a kilt for quite some time. The reviews on this forum make me want to get one even more. I think the best excuse will be to buy one for the Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago. Shamrock = Irish = Kilt; so I'd fit right in right? But I have a couple questions for those of you who have made the plundge;

- I'm 5'11". A 22.5" kilt would come past my knees. Any recommendations where a running kilt should fall? Inchs above the knee?

- Anyone get the Hiking kilt from SportKilt.com? The description says it is made from a light weight material. Is this better for running then the original?

Cool, quick drying, breathable, lightweight (330 grams!) microfiber kilt for the active hiker who wants to trek in style and comfort.

Thoughts?

Hey Wholey, Jason reviewed a

Hey Wholey, Jason reviewed a Hiking Kilt on his blog a while back (www.barefootrunninguniversity.com). I only have the Original Kilt, so I'm not sure what the difference is in terms of breathability. You can always email Sport Kilt with questions. They are very responsive.

Let me qualify that the Original Kilt is fairly breathable. I am a cold-body, so I need to wear a lot less in warm temps to keep from overheating. So I plan to wear the kilt for temps between 40 and 60 F. For me, anything warmer and the kilt feels heavy.

Also, for shorter folk there are a few options. First, you could get a normal length kilt and hem it (Sport Kilt will hem it for you I think). Second, you could get a woman's kilt (normal, not mini), which has an 18" inseam.

Hope that helps! Happy kilting!

Wholely, I've got the

Wholely,

I've got the Hiking Kilt, and they are worth it, I have ran a couple of marathons, and a 50km trail run (all free-balling), and have had no issues at all, it has actually become my standard running gear for all long runs. Very light weight and have no issue with moisture build up or sweating due to the breathable material. I would highly recommend if you plan to use for longer runs.

I also have the original as well, and it is great for shorter runs (it is a bit heavier) as it has a more traditional fabric.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test