A Fine Run w/ Company

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
I just wanted to share a lovely run I had last Sunday.

For a January day it was a stunner, being sunny and about 42F. I took my 10 year old daughter down to our favourite paved trail and she roller bladed along as I ran down the trail. We both wondered at how warm and wind free it seemed, and we found out that it wasn't wind free after we turned around. I didn't want to overdo my BF time and certainly wanted to keep my girl well within her envelope, so I only took us 2 miles down the trail. At the turnaround I put on my VFFs because the trail had long stretches of shade that were still cold and wet from the previous evening's dusting of snow, and even had slush in patches.

After about a quarter mile on the way back I saw that Rowan, my daughter, was falling behind, with both the wind and a slight grade against her. I then slowed and gave her my hand and we covered the rest of the run with me assisting as her motive force. It was a delightful time, spent in contact and conversation. In the back of my mind I knew that I wasn't likely to have many such times with my girl before she was all grown up and on her own way. Sigh....

Sounds like a great run JT. They do grow up way too fast. My two sons are basically on their own and my two girls are fast approaching teenage years.

One of my best runs was with my youngest last month. No matter that it was only 5k, no matter that it was only a 13+ pace. Worth every second to see her smiling face.

Reactions: happysongbird
Sounds wonderful, JT.

I am occasionally accompanied on a short run by my son (23) and usually wish the run were longer because of the together time and conversation.

I'm glad you shared your fine run with us.

Reactions: dutchie53
Thanks for sharing JT. Me being jealous of my little sister and mom running a half-marathon together is what got me into running. We dragged my dad into it years later and the four of us still run races together.

Reactions: PB Junkie
Lovely, JT, indeed. I can totally relate. I remember running with my then 9-year old son on a six mile loop, both of us barefoot. Oh the looks we got. Or I should say the looks I got. Being a bad mother and all. It was laughable. We enjoyed each others' company and as we ran into the dark, we talked about all kinds of stuff we normally wouldn't have talked about. He was training for his first 5K. And yes, on race day, more odd looks at us. A definite "me and him against the world" moment. Sweet sigh.

Beautiful story. Some of my favorite runs are when my 10 year old daughter comes along with me. It's not nearly as fast or as far as I would like, but that time together is more precious than gold. I can't wait until my two younger daughters are old enough to come running with me as well.

Yesss really sweet, thanks for the post :)

Btw, 'Rowan' is a beautiful, mystical tree that grows in this area. It's also a beautiful, mystical name... I like it!

Yesss really sweet, thanks for the post :)

Btw, 'Rowan' is a beautiful, mystical tree that grows in this area. It's also a beautiful, mystical name... I like it!

Sorbus aucuparia, the European Mountain Ash, has nice bright red-orange berries and a good reputation among the covens for health and warding properties, I think. The name derives from the Gaelic word for red and shares roots with the horse color "roan," but not with the German name "Rowena."

Rowan's mom's from Wiltshire, and had some familiarity with the hisory when it came up as a contender on the naming short list. I knew it from my tree studies, though it doesn't seem to grow well this far south.

The name derives from the Gaelic word for red and shares roots with the horse color "roan," but not with the German name "Rowena."

The real German name is "Eber Esche" (actually Eberesche) which I'm going to take a chance at translating to "Boar Ash", but I'm not sure.

But most people here call it "Vogelbeer" (Bird Berry), and that's actually a holdover from the Roman era. The tree was extremely important to the Kelten (Celts), it was planted as protection around their settlements, the berries were a staple food. The chief Druid would carry a Rowan staff. The Romans started the rumor that the berries were poisonous and only fit for birds, as a political move to battle the powerful religious leaders here. I think most people here would still tell you that you can't eat Bird Berries ... We eat them :) and they make awesome liquor :))

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test