A broken nail doesn't constitute a running injury

skedaddle

Barefooters
Sep 3, 2011
This I only ran 2 miles today because my left nipple hurts is starting to grind my gears.
I ran a half marathon yesterday and guess what today I'm a bit sore, the inside of my left knee giving me jip and what's worse I chipped my nail polish! But you won't here me harping on about it.
So when is an injury just a wingery? And do you think it's important to report every little niggle, sniffle, twinge or bad hair day?
I think too much negative posting will only spawn more negative posts. Yeh, it can get frustrating at times when things don't go as planned, but just be aware that people curious about barefoot running are visiting these forums to check us out, so lets represent in a positive way.
Take responsibility for your health and your posts, if you have a genuine concerns ask one of the Docs for advice and get things sorted!
If you want to report your mileage do it in a positive, celebratory way, one of the most inspiring posts i read in that forum recently was by a certain brave lady who quietly and humbly posted a single mile, I will remember that post for the rest of my days.
So to sum up 'I only ran 2 miles today because my IT band got wrapped around my colon' now becomes 'I ran 2 miles today because I'm awesome!' The important thing is that you ran the two miles in the first place and that's what inspires people.

True. But there are a few exceptions... ;)

WorstSportsAccidents2.jpg

If you want to report your mileage do it in a positive, celebratory way, one of the most inspiring posts i read in that forum recently was by a certain brave lady who quietly and humbly posted a single mile, I will remember that post for the rest of my days.
So to sum up 'I only ran 2 miles today because my IT band got wrapped around my colon' now becomes 'I ran 2 miles today because I'm awesome!' The important thing is that you ran the two miles in the first place and that's what inspires people.

Thank you for this post. I'm too intimidated to post my measly mileage into the weekly thread because the furthest that I've been able to run barefoot is 2.07 miles. Your post made me realize that a run is a run and I should be proud of my accomplishments.

Thank you for this post. I'm too intimidated to post my measly mileage into the weekly thread because the furthest that I've been able to run barefoot is 2.07 miles. Your post made me realize that a run is a run and I should be proud of my accomplishments.

Running barefoot for 2.07 miles is a massive achievement, now just work on your vocabulary a bit and replace measly with MEGA and you're all set.

I know we're not all indestructible but we are more resilient than we often give ourselves credit for, and I suppose that's my beef.
I'm not wanting to bash those who are working through injury either, there is nothing wrong with sharing experiences that could help others as long as the intention is not for self-pity and a plan and purpose is in place to overcome.
What is really getting into my head are the fear of injury posts, not directly worded, but a constant trickle of this aches and that's sore and I've got a cold and my cats just barfed in my shoes so I'm not going to run today kind of posts.
This sort of stuff is infectious, easy to rest up in and often leads people away from exploring their true potential. How can you forge your ability to work through the tough times, overcome hurdles and grow as a runner if you're afraid to leave the starting blocks?
I read in Skott Jurek's book 'Eat & Run', a quote "Not all pain was significant" and I believe that to be true, at some point if you want to run far or fast things are going to hurt, constant checking, reporting and seeking reassurance isn't going to change that, there is an element of risk in every sport.
That's it, I don't know where all this rant came from but it's been boiling away inside for a while now and I'm sorry to dump it on you folks, but better out than in I suppose.

Am I being reprimanded? :confused:

Have just stolen the word "whingery" to add to my core vocabulary.

I wonder if it's human nature to whinge about the little things though? We have discussed this at work (1 asthmatic, 1 rheumatoid arthritis sufferer & one new mother who spent a lot of her pregnancy in hospital) & we all keep quiet about the serious stuff, but we'll make a three act drama out of a paper cut!

TJ - you have posted pics of the inside of your feet, I suspect this excuses you ;)

Reactions: scedastic
Am I being reprimanded? :confused:
Never TJ, everyone's important and equal in my eyes, i have no favorites and feel sorry for no one, we've all got our own s**t to work through.
I'm done now, but I stand by everything I said. I believe fear of injury, constant posting about minor injury, aches and pains can often be more damaging than the injury itself.

Reactions: DNEchris
I totally get that and totally agree. We don't want to scare anyone away. That's why I always preface my whining with "look what shoes did to me," so they will know this is not related to your usual growing pains that come with barefoot or minshoe running.

...but...I also think sometimes people have a minor pain or ache and wonder if that's the start of something bigger, fear a bit, and then end up venting here. Other people pipe in, calm the fears, and the person is better for it.

I see both sides.

Reactions: happysongbird
deep

:D

Ha! I knew you would get it, Jen! :D

I still run. I just don't post about it! :p

seriously, don't let the distances deter you. beginners are great motivators, for one. For another, the mileage forums have slow runners, fast runners, ultra runners, weenie runners (my category! ;) ), whiny runners, you name it. We need more beginning runners reporting to keep the proper level of diversity. Finally, you think I wasn't pleased as punch the first time I coudl do a barefoot mile without being sore the next day?

(I get it though. I want to learn to do laps swimming but I'm such a beginner I'm feeling those "everyone will laugh when I croak after a single lap" weird self conscious feelings that I thought I'd gotten over this close to middle age)

It is absolutely an accomplishment to just head out that door. If you do it injury free, great. If you are able to do it barefoot, super cool.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Sced!

Don't you dare feel intimidated by "small" numbers! :D When I started out, I was running 0.25 miles at a time (down from 10K wearing shoes). Also, if you peruse the mileage postings, you'll find there are some folks (me included) that temporarily aren't running any mileage due to injuries, weather, schedule, malasiness, etc... We're posting other workouts that we're doing as well.

More than the guy on the couch in front of the telly ;)

Or the guy who spends all day smoking in bed and eating pork rinds dipped in cheese sauce...so see? You're doing better already! :D

Or the guy who spends all day smoking in bed and eating pork rinds dipped in cheese sauce...so see? You're doing better already! :D

That image is slightly disturbing

Reactions: scedastic

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test