A barefoot greeting from Greenland

Thomas, my wife is familiar with a service called Air B&B, and used it to look at what's available for booking rooms in Greenland. Nuuk has some really nice flats available, and for some reason, especially so in January.
Hi Joseph,
I know Air B&B quite well and it makes perfect sense to have some resonably priced flats available in Nuuk in january.
Most of us tend to travel elsewhere in that period, as it is the darkest part of the year with very little sunlight and usually rather cold temperatures.
Are you considering a visit here?

Actually, yes, I am.

I don't know what year such a visit might take place, but the more I read, the more I'm fascinated. Talk about the ends of the world! This spring my wife and kids are taking a week's holiday (maybe even extending it another week!) on some tropical island in the Carribean. I am not going because it is mostly time for her to enjoy with her sister, but it's also my personal idea of nowhere I'd care to visit. Just not my sort of thing.

That pic of longlining through the ice for halibut or whatever else might bite (Shark?) really fired my imagination. The geography just looks awesome in the truest sense of the word.

I suspect that January in Nuuk is mostly about hunkering down and looking forward to the sun coming back. Do you have any suggestions for where I can go for more reading on visiting your country?

Reactions: Robin
Actually, yes, I am.

I don't know what year such a visit might take place, but the more I read, the more I'm fascinated. Talk about the ends of the world! This spring my wife and kids are taking a week's holiday (maybe even extending it another week!) on some tropical island in the Carribean. I am not going because it is mostly time for her to enjoy with her sister, but it's also my personal idea of nowhere I'd care to visit. Just not my sort of thing.

That pic of longlining through the ice for halibut or whatever else might bite (Shark?) really fired my imagination. The geography just looks awesome in the truest sense of the word.

I suspect that January in Nuuk is mostly about hunkering down and looking forward to the sun coming back. Do you have any suggestions for where I can go for more reading on visiting your country?

January and Nuuk is just a little dark and can be very cold and there is not a whole lot to "see" here in January.
When visiting Greenland there is two main season to consider. winter and summer.

Winter is Dogsledding, Northern lights, ice, snow, ice fishing, alpine and nordic skiing, cold temperatures and in its own way amazing
Summer is hiking, sailing, mountains, glaciers, icebergs, running, mosquitoes, fishing, whales, hunting and the midnight sun.
Winter is at its best in march or april, where as summer really is at its best in July and august.
The unique culture, friendly people and excellent food is there all year though:)

Finding really good information about Greenland can be difficult depending on what you are really looking for. We are only 56000 people and tourism is a little basic. we do not have ice fisihing tourism per se, but I have a customer that may be able to arrange it. we do not fish for sharks here
I would start at Greenland.com, but let me know if you need any help from there, I have done a lot of work with the tourism industry in Greenland and know whom to talk to. Most common fish are halibut, cod, trout, salmon and red fish

A tropical Island might be a good place to run barefoot though :)

Reactions: Robin
Your photography is remarkable, beautiful. Is it a hobby, or do you make a living that way?

Your photography is remarkable, beautiful. Is it a hobby, or do you make a living that way?
Thank you TJ, really appreciate you liking my work.
Photography is a passion I am fortunate enough to make part of my living from.
For me finding the right balance between letting my creativity energy flow and having time to restore it, is what matters.
If I do to much photgraphy, I simply begin loosing the passion that fuels creativity.
Thus today I work with photography around 5-10 weeks a year on assignments and another 5-10 weeks working on personal fine art projects.
The other part comes from doing Project Management and airline and travel industry consulting.
The story on my photography is here:
http://duplophotography.com/about.html

Reactions: bfsailor
That is super cool that you can combine your love for hiking and adventure with your passion for taking photos. What's really cool is that you can get those unique shots that others are afraid to get themselves. You will go where no man has gone before! Ha! I totally admire what you do. You are truly living life.

Reactions: ArcticDuplo
That is super cool that you can combine your love for hiking and adventure with your passion for taking photos. What's really cool is that you can get those unique shots that others are afraid to get themselves. You will go where no man has gone before! Ha! I totally admire what you do. You are truly living life.
Thanks TJ :)
I am blushing a little here actually, but yeah I am certainly thankful for the way my life has turned out.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test