9 mile nut crusher!!!

Jonny00GT

Chapter Presidents
May 19, 2011
Holly fallen acorns, Batman!! I ran a new PB distance of 9.3 miles this morning and holly crap was there a lot of acorn crushing and scrubbing off!! I hate the broken ones with pointy side up that stick to your feet so you look like you have a flat tire! LOL! My cap light helped a lot since we ran at 6am and I think Sunrise was some time after 7:30. $10 at Wal-Mart well spent!

I'm surprised time and again how fast my feet go from tender to fine after these longer runs! Just a few hours and only the calf tightness remains to remind me I put in some miles today! My wife says I'm becoming a "Runner"! I guess the fact that I talk about running all the time and run 4-5 days a week means she's right...I'm hooked!

On another note, my $4 itty bitty metronome :http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EOKPDY works like a charm and I could set it to 180bpm and a 0/4 beat so it's a constant chirp, put my ear phone in and not disturb my runnin buddies with it. It's super small too. I like it! I've been using it the first mile or so to set my step and then turn it off, roll it up and put it in my pocket!

I also just picked up some compression sleaves for my calves since they seem to tighten up a bit when I stop for water or durring the walking portion of speed work. I went with simple black. I figure the feet get me enough attention without picking a crazy color. Did I wus out?? ;o)

Addict, OUT!

-Jonny

Well run!  I think that I am

Well run! I think that I am at the point of remembering the acorns as friendly acquaintances from last fall. The "friendly" part may wear off soon. Do you see Black Walnuts in your neck of the woods? Stepping on one of those mothers is memorable!

I do not like to think about running in the dark, so I won't.

No, no Walnuts, but I can see

No, no Walnuts, but I can see that as a major wake up call! We do have pecan trees, but not lining the side walks where I run. Just acorns, the occasional deteriorating cross walk chunks and small pebbles. Oh...that there is this one stretch of side walk where it seems like the guy uses granular fertilizer every week! It's small and not too bad, but it gets your attention.

-Jonny

The squirrels do this to us

The squirrels do this to us every year on purpose. They know we're still trying to make it through the whole year barefoot, and they love to see us jump around. Down here, the squirrels actually throw them at me from above when I pass by!

Speaking of which, my cat brought in a 3 week old, baby squirrel on Monday (eyes closed, ears pressed back, and naked), and I've been nursing it around the clock, waking in the wee hours of the morning to feed it, making sure it's fed, warm, and clean. Like I have time for this. Dumb cat! But it's too late, I've fallen in love with it already!

TJ you are one incredible

TJ you are one incredible person, do you honestly take anytime for yourself. I don't know how you get any runs in with everything you are involved in and take on. Good on you....

And just so you know, the nuts are flying everywhere, I was playing hopscotch this morning trying to avoid the acorns and other tree nuts that were landing in front of me while I was going for my Saturday morning trail run. Darn things are killer when they you get one stuck between the toes.

Thanks, Bob!  I'm not

Thanks, Bob! I'm not incredible at all, just driven, I guess. I wish I could run more. The neuromas and PF I got after having that cryosurgery have gotten so bad that my miles have been cut way down. I look forward to being healed after traditional surgery this winter. I really hope to heal well this time and be able to get back to my 40 mile weeks. With all this limited running, at least I'm getting BRS stuff done, and helping others. It helps me to take my mind off of my not being able to run like I used to (thanks shoes!). I enjoy reading about you guys' runs and adventures though. Helps me to feel connected in a way, and in some ways disconnected. :-(

Not to steal this thread or

Not to steal this thread or anything, but mentioning having way too much to do...I JUST OPENED MY MAIL AND GOT A JURY SUMMONS!

jonny, i like my nuts

jonny, i like my nuts fondled, not crushed. oh, wait, acorns. ahem, excuse me. ya those suck. lots of squirrels around here to open them up and for my dog to chase. the other day in the parking lot he chased a squirrel up a tree. i didn't see where he went so i went to look for him and saw a squirrel up a tree. as i passed under it pooped on my shoulder. ya, go ahead and laugh. i deserve it. i do encourage my dog to chase them. hey it's funny to see how excited he gets. oh, it looked like a little nestle crunch.

TJ, there is no such thing as traditional surgery. sorry you have to go through that crap.

Mike

Nice run Jonny!  Those

Nice run Jonny!

Those acorns can get your attention pretty quickly, particularly when you don't see them coming. As fall progresses in these part those little boogers tend to hide under leaves and such... just waiting.... pain and crunching are amongst the last things I want to experience when I run. It's almost enough sometimes to make me want to wear shoes... almost. ;).

S. Pimp.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Not to

Barefoot TJ said:
Not to steal this thread or anything, but mentioning having way too much to do...I JUST OPENED MY MAIL AND GOT A JURY SUMMONS!

TJ, Is the US anything like Canada, you can get out of jury duty if you are a essential part of your work organization and it will put due stress on your family or job situation. I've gotten out of 2 or 3 jury duties with a letter from my boss explaining I was irreplacable (nice feeling to see that in a typed letter).

I'm sure you could get a few thousand such letters from your co-workers ;-) here at the BRS. :smile:

Thanks for the support, Bob. 

Thanks for the support, Bob. We'll see what happens. I do have two little ones I have to get off to school, one takes the bus, the other I drive to preschool. Then I have to pick him up at noon. If jury duty runs outside of those hours, I guess they'll have to let me go. Besides, do you think they will let me in there barefoot? I'll just tell them the truth. I can't wear closed-toed shoes at all, and I can't wear even flip-flops for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. I'll say hey, take me as I am or don't take me at all. Ha!

Ha!  Yes, that would probably

Ha! Yes, that would probably work. Don't know if I'm (can I say?) ballsy enough to do it though.

Johnny00GT wrote:On another

Johnny00GT said:
On another note, my $4 itty bitty metronome :http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EOKPDY works like a charm and I could set it to 180bpm and a 0/4 beat so it's a constant chirp, put my ear phone in and not disturb my runnin buddies with it. It's super small too. I like it! I've been using it the first mile or so to set my step and then turn it off, roll it up and put it in my pocket!

I did my first run today with a metronome. It definitely helps! Even if you paced yourself with a watch I was finding after a bit I would slack off. With the metronome going I reliazed just how difficult it was keeping up with the 180 beat. For smart phone folks you can download apps, I have an older but plenty capable windows mobile phone and downloaded a free metronome app off sourceforge.net. Works like a charm and you can select dozens of instruments for different sounds. I often run with my phone anyways, I have a stereo bluetooth headset that works pretty good for jogging.

I think it's harder to run

I think it's harder to run trails in early spring, don't you? That's when stuff is really covered, and all the owies are hidden underneath. I remember running trails barefoot at Tugaloo State Park at the end of summer one year, and it was bliss, then the next early spring, it was ow, ow, ow, ow! I guess during the running season, more people are clearing the paths, then during the colder months, they're not getting as much use and all the stuff falls all over them, no one is there to kick it clear out of the way, and so you end up running on it. Momma!

That's awesome Jonny! That

That's awesome Jonny! That metronome idea is interesting, you find it helps you a lot with your pace or cadence? Did you need help keeping at a particular pace or cadence? I'm curious what you were using this for specifically. To keep cadence up? Someone suggested to me recently here that when I start getting my speed up I need to remember to keep the cadence up to reduce the impact on the body. So I'm curious. :)

Congrats on the new PB and becoming officially addicted. :D Happened to me a long time ago (to Running in general)... it is awesome but every time I see someone out running while I'm driving somewhere I long for it and I'm disappointed I can't be out there!

Enjoy!

Barefoot TJ - awesome you, nursing a baby squirrel! ;) Do you plan to keep the little guy or release him when old enough? Sorry to hear about he jury summons. bah!

I enjoyed that immensely,

I enjoyed that immensely, Ahcuah. Can I add it to the front page sometime? Even though it's not running related, it is barefoot related, and I think people will enjoy this as well as take a lot from it.

Many courts have jury dress codes online, so I took a look at a few of them. Most don’t mention shoes at all. I suspect that’s because they haven’t even considered the possibility that somebody might show up barefoot.

This made me laugh.

It’s interesting that Miami says no uniforms, and Jacksonville specifically says that they are fine.

This makes me think that it's just willy-nilly when it comes to creating dress codes. It's understandable that it's not consitent nationally/federally, but it's not even consistent state-wide. Just proves the silliness of these sorts of laws in situations and facilities like these.

From Nashville: 7. Appropriate footwear must be worn at all times. No flip-flops or house shoes permitted

I wouldn't be able to serve on a jury in Nashville then. Seriously, I would be in so much friggin' pain after just 20 minutes, even just sitting with shoes enclosing my feet. Oh I could see the fight now, and I think it would be a good one. I could bring doctor's records and notes from them stating the severity of my condition, especially when aggravated by footwear, even of the most minimal kind.

I qualify for deferring jury

I qualify for deferring jury duty for one year. Since I have a child at home under the age of 6. He goes to PK-4 from 9-12, and since jury duty runs 8 hours each weekday, I wouldn't be able to swing it. I also have another young one getting off the school bus I have to meet.

Yes, Lady, I plan to release him between 12-14 weeks as recommended by the wild life rehabbers at Cochran Mill Nature Center. Rick, there, told me that they would take him now, but they were swimming in squirrels right now, so this one would have to miss a few feedings every day. I couldn't stomach the thought, so I decided to keep him until I just felt I couldn't handle it anymore, then take him over there. Rick said that would be great. They appreciate the help, and gave me lots of information, He even mailed me some stuff in the mail, which I keep having to refer to, to make sure I'm on track with the feedings and what to expect in his growth and development. His eyes should be open in about a week. I can't wait to see his reaction when he sees us for the first time, although I'm sure we will be blurry to him.

Now I'm having second thoughts about taking him over there, unless I absolutely have to. I've fallen in love with this little guy. He is so soft, so smooth (still naked), so cute, so loveable, so funny, so adorable... I've had him for 7 days now, and when I first started feeding him with a syringe plunger, it was a bit awkward, then a few days later, when I'd pick him up to feed him, he would chirp (sounds just like a baby bird), now when I pick him up to feed him, his tail raises high and he wiggles it into little pig tail curls. It's so darn cute, I can't stand it. After he's eaten, I set him down to get some exercise (I don't have to make him go poop anymore after feedings, but we won't go there), and he crawls (shaky) backwards in circles. He makes me laugh! He's also started sucking on my fingers and my shirt. He likes to walk around my neck and curl into a ball in my shirt pocket (when I wear a shirt with a pocket). I try not to handle him too much, but I also know he's been through a lot and needs a warm touch.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test