5th Annual Winter Challenge

Hi Yvonne,

with the last 10 days of our Winter Challenge on, could you please update your mileage in the Winter spreadsheet a little bit more frequently, like you do for the March Toes on the Roads?

I would like to be able to react to your progress as you can to mine ... just in case of need :) ...

And of course I assume your status is up to date and complete as of the last date of you updating the file.

Thanks,

Christian

Reactions: gueng
Update --- 10 days remaining!

14 people recorded runs this week. We've reached 7195 miles ... as we smashed through the 7000 barrier. How far can we go?

@Christian --- Yvonne recorded 200+ miles in the last 10 days last year ... you best get a going :D

Keep it up everyone. 10 days left.

Reactions: paulbeales
Ok Barefoot YOW, I get it.

Nevertheless: for me, the spirit of this competition is to inspire each other to run more during winter.

For that, it helps to update the file regularly, as this will inform other participants and push them to increase their running. That effect is lost if we all start to throw huge chunks of reported mileage at each other at irregular intervals.

Just to construct a case: how would you like it if Eddie Vega (see http://thebarefootrunners.org/threads/barefoot-runner-completes-101-marathons.17611/) would start to report his mileage since October in one chunk on March 29th? Would that still be in the spirit of our Winter Challenge?

Of course there are people out there who run more, better, faster, colder. That is not the point. The point is that we want to encourage each other. And for that, we need frequent interaction, even if only by way of reported mileage in a spreadsheet.

Reactions: Bare Lee and gueng
Careful with the accusations of brinkmanship guys. Not everyone is tech-savvy. Maybe some people just don't get to a computer very often

I'm very tech savvy and still sometimes don't log on here in a week or more time.

Also I usually only get on when I'm at work - and neither my work computer or my smartphone can access google docs, so I have to remember to fire up my PC at home to update the sheet. Which reminds me I have a couple runs to update but I'm at work...
Not like I'm going to be picking up a place or anything though, next person up is 100mi more than me!

Logged in my last run today, thank you YOW for organizing this yearly. Winter, I am not sad to see you go.

i am in agreement. the weather has not cooperated to allow me to keep up with gueng or Christian Barefooteur. however, i am definitely hoping to enjoy some thicker plantar skin, warmer surfaces, rougher paths, sunshine, and less attention to forecasts and clothing choices.

Wow what a winter. And I ran more miles during winter than ever before (first year participating in the challenge too). Though I still started off with a strained achilles that had me just about limping until into January. Not planning on doing the October marathon this year, so hopefully I'll be in much better shape when next winters challenge rolls around. My cold tolerance has also dropped 10-20 degrees F compared to the last couple winters, and for the first time ever I did real distance on snow.

And just for my personal record, since I don't have this info recorded anywhere handy, I calculated out based on the difference between the spreadsheet and my yearly total that I ran 46 miles mini-shod due to cold temps so far in '15. With any luck that will be the extent of my shod mileage this year.

Thanks YOW for organizing this event!

Due to the BRS Winter Challenge, I have done things in the last months that I had no idea I was capable of. Knowing that there are other "crazy" people out there, fighting the same or even more extreme conditions than I had to deal with, has helped me a lot.

Thanks to all of you who have posted mileage and experiences, and encouraged our tribe to go on running through the cold winter months!

Well done everyone! I never did get the run on snow. Who'd have thought that Wales could be so clement! Don't forget the fun doesn't stop here. Toes on Roads for April started today and IBRD is just around the corner ;)

Reactions: Yvonne
Yes, I would love to have the write-up and pictures for the home page, once again.

Reactions: Yvonne
Delayed replying since I haven't had a chance to check in here in quite awhile again.

I would like to be able to react to your progress as you can to mine ... just in case of need :) ...

I don't "react" to anyone's progress in that way. The Winter Challenge is incentive/motivation for myself to run my normal routine when a cold windy cloudy dreary winter day may try to discourage me. While it would be absolutely awesome to "win" the challenge, I do not increase my mileage only because I see someone else is ahead of me.

And yes, I agree with others' comments about being careful with your words/accusations/judgments. While I have access to a computer, my time on it is spread among many things from email, to forums, to petitions, to research, to social media, keeping in touch with family, and more. I have a lot going on in my life besides running and logging my mileage on a spreadsheet. I have a family and animals to care for, a farm to run, chores to do...lots of work and responsibilities. It's unpredictable too. I may get back from a run, and have to immediately change into farm clothes so I can scrub and refill a water trough, or trim a horse's hooves, or whatever. If I can't add my mileage to a spreadsheet at regular intervals, my family and pets aren't affected so I am ok with that. ✌

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090