5th Annual Winter Challenge

Yeah, the German team has surely profited a lot by the the extension of the temp. range and will probably go on doing so. Long-term weather forecast says we may stay around 5-10°C in March.
I like that this year is more inclusive, but next year we might consider introducing a below-freezing classification, along with the general classification, to give those of us who don't have mild winters a chance . . . I guess the first year of the Winter Challenge it was all below-freezing, right?

I only ended up using Vaseline a couple times too. Its just so much of a mess and yucky and I don't think it helps enough to be worth while. For weeks here it wouldn’t have made enough difference anyhow (temps well below my threshold).

I tried the dog paw stuff. No help at all.

Gloves though are a must usually for me. Especially with the wind lately. That's the biggest problem in clothing I have had is finding the right gloves.

My mitten/glove system is to start with Icebreaker Legion Gloves, which are pretty thin, then a little bit colder, slip Icebreaker Sierra Mittens over the gloves, which are also pretty thin but the extra layer adds a lot of insulating air, and you can easily take them off if you find your hands getting hot mid-run. Then on really cold days, I like Deerskin Leather Mittens (ASIN: B00487O7N2). They're good down to -30F to -40F windchill. The hands stay nice and toasty without getting sweaty, as is the case with some of the ultra-thermal synthetic materials.

Reactions: dutchie53
Yeah Chris, I need to look into them more. I'll check the ones you mention Bare Lee. I generally don't need much - I have a thin pair of knit looking stretchy poly gloves/hat that suffice until things get really cold, like below 20ºF. Then I use my glove-mittens... not sure what they are called but they are the ones that are fingerless gloves that have a mitten part the flips over the fingertips when needed. Those are my absolute favorite gloves of all times for general purpose, but for running they are a smidgen too warm. Even the other day when I ran and it was right about at 0ºF when I turned away from the wind or on a tree lined stretch I got to hot and flipped the fingers exposed, then another mile had to take em off. They are pretty bulky to carry around. But they are fairly thick wool with a fleece liner. If I could find something similar but a thinner (or just unlined) material would be perfect. I just haven't really looked. In previous years I rarely ever ran below the temp I could handle with my thin black gloves, but this year has practically been two straight months of temps that have ben around there or lower (and the wind is an issue with the more open knit-like fabric). The wind has been bad enough I bought one of those neck warmer things too (as seen in my current avatar). Problem with that is my nose freezes. And if I pull it over my nose then my glasses fog up. I need a neck thing that has a more ventilated area that breath can pass through more easily. Anything like that exist?

Reactions: Bare Lee
Hey, Bare Lee, no need to change the rules. Just declare winners by categories (<0C, <5C, <10C). The information is all there in the sheet. We could do it right now for this year.

And think about the l0ng-term value of the challenge for less experienced runners. Many of those would not even start in the challenge if it would be only <0C. They would never try. With <10C there is an incentive for new winter runners to start. Then they discover they can do <5C. Then <0C. And so on. In fact, I am one of those runners. I never thought I could do what I have done this winter before it started. It was a gradual process of acclimatization that I might not have tried if the Challenge was only <0C.

Third point: I think temperature is overemphasized in the current view of things. It is much, much more "dangerous" (and unpleasant) to run in wet, cold weather slightly above 0C, or with wetness and salt on the streets, than it is to run at -5C on dry surfaces. Cold wetness is the main source for blisters and small cuts. Dry cold mainly presents a problem to non-acclimatized runners, or to those that dress inadequately and can't get their core warm. Of course, this does not hold for extreme cold, when freezing your toes become a question of seconds or a few minutes.

Hope that we all get some more runnable weather this winter!

1st year of the challenge was all sub-freezing only. I like having the higher range for the exact reason Christian states. It encourages some doubters to join in.

Wet and salty conditions are the most dangerous, because of the false sense of security. Extreme cold usually results in a quick dash and then back into protected footwear.

Take salt out of the equation, and running in wet -5 to 5°C can become comfortable. I found my tolerance for wet improved from year to year.

We can consider winners by temperature range:
10 to 5C = Christian
5 to 0C = gueng
0 to -5C = Christian
-5 to -10C = Yvonne
-10 to -15C = Yvonne
-15 to -20C = Yvonne
< -20C = Yvonne
Coldest run = Yvonne
Most snow = Christian

Seeing a pattern here?

Hey, Bare Lee, no need to change the rules. Just declare winners by categories (<0C, <5C, <10C). The information is all there in the sheet. We could do it right now for this year.

And think about the l0ng-term value of the challenge for less experienced runners. Many of those would not even start in the challenge if it would be only <0C. They would never try. With <10C there is an incentive for new winter runners to start. Then they discover they can do <5C. Then <0C. And so on. In fact, I am one of those runners. I never thought I could do what I have done this winter before it started. It was a gradual process of acclimatization that I might not have tried if the Challenge was only <0C.

Third point: I think temperature is overemphasized in the current view of things. It is much, much more "dangerous" (and unpleasant) to run in wet, cold weather slightly above 0C, or with wetness and salt on the streets, than it is to run at -5C on dry surfaces. Cold wetness is the main source for blisters and small cuts. Dry cold mainly presents a problem to non-acclimatized runners, or to those that dress inadequately and can't get their core warm. Of course, this does not hold for extreme cold, when freezing your toes become a question of seconds or a few minutes.

Hope that we all get some more runnable weather this winter!
Right, I think I'm the first one to have suggested raising the temp cut-off, for exactly the reasons you gave. I noticed several commentators said they had trouble below 5C/41F, but they seemed like they were curious to try. I think I was also the one who suggested keeping track of snow mileage, because, as someone who can't run in snow, I've always been impressed with those who can, and it seems like it should be recognized in some fashion.

As for non-snow moisture, I agree, it makes a huge difference, but it's harder to track, as it tends to come in patches, unless it's raining. I would say for me it makes at least a 5-degree (Celsius) difference. This winter my running has been horrible, for non-running related reasons, but I've pretty much given up running in any kind of moisture below freezing, and often up to 5C/41F. It's just easier to slip on the Sockwas and not have to worry about it.

It's YOW's gig, but I don't think it's really necessary to have so many classifications. I would just settle on a sub-freezing champ, and an overall champ. Or maybe add in a sub 5C/41C champ too so that there's some equivalence to years past. There's a limit to how much a mild winter helps because it tends to take away October and March, whereas for those of us with harsher winters, Dec-Feb tends to be tough.

In any case, congratulations to both Christian and Yvonne on some awesome winter barefoot running!

Right, I think I'm the first one to have suggested raising the temp cut-off, for exactly the reasons you gave. I noticed several commentators said they had trouble below 5C/41F, but they seemed like they were curious to try. I think I was also the one who suggested keeping track of snow mileage, because, as someone who can't run in snow, I've always been impressed with those who can, and it seems like it should be recognized in some fashion.

I want to preface this with a BIG thanks to YOW for organizing this every year - it's fun and helps motivate people to get through the winter!

My one (minor) quibble is with the cutoff date. It's been so cold AND snowy here in Erie, PA that I haven't run outside in weeks, but I guarantee I'll be running in 40F and even 30F temperatures well into April.

I checked the weather history for last year, and the daily low temp. was below 50F(10C) on 28 days in April, 18 of which were below 40F (4C), and 2 of which had snow cover on the ground. :eek:
I could add a lot more miles to the spreadsheet if the cutoff were May 1.
We actually even had 16 days in May that would have qualified last year.

I guess calling April a "Winter" month is a bit of a stretch though for those of you not living near the Great Lakes. ;)

On the plus side, we're supposed to finally start seeing some reasonable temps. here next week, so I should be able to get outside again! :woot:

I want to preface this with a BIG thanks to YOW for organizing this every year - it's fun and helps motivate people to get through the winter!

My one (minor) quibble is with the cutoff date. It's been so cold AND snowy here in Erie, PA that I haven't run outside in weeks, but I guarantee I'll be running in 40F and even 30F temperatures well into April.

I checked the weather history for last year, and the daily low temp. was below 50F(10C) on 28 days in April, 18 of which were below 40F (4C), and 2 of which had snow cover on the ground. :eek:
I could add a lot more miles to the spreadsheet if the cutoff were May 1.
We actually even had 16 days in May that would have qualified last year.

I guess calling April a "Winter" month is a bit of a stretch though for those of you not living near the Great Lakes. ;)

On the plus side, we're supposed to finally start seeing some reasonable temps. here next week, so I should be able to get outside again! :woot:
Yah, that's a great idea. It would give people in Canada a better shot too, since their low temps in September and April would qualify too, but January is all but impossible for them.

Maybe reconceive the whole thing as "cold-weather barefoot challenge" with start and end dates from September to May. This would account for all the climate differences in play (except for our friends in the Southern Hemisphere--maybe they could start earlier in the year, like from March to November?). People in Texas or Central Europe would dominate in January, but people in Winterpeg could dominate in September and October.

This, of course, isn't to criticize the great job YOW does every year organizing this thing. We're just making a few suggestions as it grows and becomes more inclusive. The main thing is to encourage people to get out and test their tolerances and enjoy barefooting in temps they may not have thought possible. By that measure, it's been a tremendous success!

@Lee and Sailer ..... Initially I chose April 1st because it was April Fool's Day. (appropriate I thought ;))

We certainly can look at extending the cold weather challenge. Works for me. It has been a quite/non-existent running season for me. Including 10 to 5C temperature range really help get more people into the challenge.

Always open to suggestion for improvement.

If y'all want to tweak things why not just make it year round? That way everyone would get a fair shot (including southern hemisphere folks). Sure could get a little slow during our summer, and weekly updates could be monthly instead (and the challenge could follow the calendar year Jan1-Dec31). You'll never get the perfect time since there will always be climates that are different. Even year round you could say those in the climate that average more days in the runnable temps have an unfair advantage. But its all just for fun anyhow... I'm fine with leaving things the way they are or whatever you all decide. Doubt I'll be in contention of winning ever but at least this year I finally decided to join and get some winter miles in. :)

For what its worth I’m grateful that the temperature range was apparently (based on the discussion above) extended a little this year.
Still being a relative ‘newbie’, having started completely from scratch at the end of August last year, I know the challenge has provided me with the perfect additional source of motivation to stick at it through the Winter months. I suspect that if the temperature ranges had been set a lot lower then I would probably have resigned myself to not even attempting it & perhaps then lost the little bit of momentum I had started to gather from my first few runs.
So just a thank you to YOW from me for organising it!:)

I say don't change anything. I actually like the "original" lay out the best, but that's just my opinion. Anyways next week here in CT it looks like 40 degrees across the board, maybe even hitting 50! This challenge is always fun, but I'm ready for the warmth.
I agree, the 'original' sub-freezing classification was the purest form, but the revised classifications are more inclusive and have got more people, like Tedlet in the comment above, participating, so that's a good thing. Hence the idea, possibly, of having different classifications, which gives credit to the hard core folks, but also encourages everyone to test their individual tolerances.

I'm with you on the warmth BG. The forecast is good for the rest of the month. I can hardly wait to start running barefoot without having to think about temp, windchill, and moisture.

Reactions: paulbeales
I can hardly wait to start running barefoot without having to think about temp, windchill, and moisture.

Me too, though I am disappointed to have not being able to try running on snow. We only had one day of snow where I was and I had man flu that day :(

Reactions: Bare Lee
Finally got a a S2G 2 mile run in today a pleasant sunny -2C day today. Wow , I'll never complain about road grit again, the feedback I was getting from my feet almost felt sensual. :D My take on winter challenge is that for us north of the border our winters start a month earlier and seem to finish a month later. So if something can be done so we can post those miles, that would be awesome. With that being said I also think something should be done for those in the southern hemisphere so that they can participate as well in the winter challenge. I think something could be done for them to log their winter miles and carry them over to the northern winter mileage. The extended temperature range I'm okay with, puts most of the barefooters into the game.

Update - 6524 miles

With only 3 weeks remaining, we're going to be very close to reaching 7000 miles.

In my area, it will be the first time the temperatures go over the freezing point since Dec 24th. Warning ... this is when I got my frost bite last year. A warm day running too far on snow packed trails. Please be careful. Like my kayaking friends say .. dress for the water (ground in our case) temperature not the air temperature.

Update - Feb 15th

We've reached 5879 miles (9316 km). Wow ... we're going to smash records this year!
Christian Lemburg is stretching out his lead (104 mile lead over Yvonne). Yvonne has been MIA for the last few weeks. I hope she's not injured.

Nope, not injured thankfully :joyful: . I just got busy and didn't update the chart for a bit...then it snowballed - I got so far behind I knew it would take awhile to catch up and something more pressing always seemed to take priority so it was put off again and again :banghead: . Rest assured, I keep personal records of all my runs and the conditions I face, so my info will be accurate when I update the file. I am starting to add my missing runs now, as much as I have time for...hopefully my info will be up to date soon.

Reactions: Tristan-OH and Sid
Well after a few weeks I'm finally back. All the white stuff is gone now and temps in the 30's and 40's lately. Did get a few miles on the XC skis when the snow was at its worse. I can definitely tell my soles have softened slightly with a few weeks of no barefoot running and wearing socks to work and shoes a lot. But still not as bad as previous years.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090