5th Annual Winter Challenge

5th Annual Winter Challenge.

Everyone is welcome to participate, whether you run 1 mile or 500. Come and challenge yourself and run in the snow and cold. The challenge runs from Oct 1 2014 to April 1 2015. Our last day will be April Fools Day.

Rules
1. Runs must be BAREFOOT
2. Temperature with windchill must be less than or equal to 50°F (10°C)
3. Any run of 1/3 mile (0.5 km) can be counted
4. Add your total distance and runs in the appropriate temperature range on the following spreadsheet:

New this year!
  • Who can run the most miles on snow?
  • Increased the temperature range. All runs <= 50°F count
  • 30 mile penalty for each case of frostbite
Add your runs, starting Oct 1st 2014.

Select 'units' (km or mi) and all distance will be converted to MILES. You will need to convert the temperatures manually to °F

Wind Chill calculator

The leaves are changing colour and falling from the trees. It's time to start entering your runs. Oct 1st is upon us.

Who will beat Bare Lee's 494 miles (8oo km)? Who can rack up the most miles on snow? Will USA take the top spots again?

Remember --- You get penalized for each time you get frostbite, so run smart. Have fun :coldfeet:

I'm in, though it's still 13C here in South Wales at the moment. Forecast says it'll get a little colder late Saturday night/Sunday. I can't believe I'm looking for colder weather! :)

And I'm off to a start in this years winter challenge. I think I will only have maybe only 4 weeks or so to build some mileage as by the beginning of November snow and cold will in all likely hood curtail any mileage runs of longer then .5-1k distance. I sure wouldn't want to take a penalty for frost bite. By the way YOW, does this include frost nip?

I can't get the calculator to work on my mobile. Is this chart correct? If so, my 10c temp and 15mph wind speed looks cold for sat morning!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-01-19-37-36.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-01-19-37-36.png
    111.5 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: El Bourda
I can't get the calculator to work on my mobile. Is this chart correct? If so, my 10c temp and 15mph wind speed looks cold for sat morning!!!

Just look on the Met Office website for the current 'feels-like' temperature Hula!

Reactions: Hulahooper
Reactions: Hulahooper
And I'm off to a start in this years winter challenge. I think I will only have maybe only 4 weeks or so to build some mileage as by the beginning of November snow and cold will in all likely hood curtail any mileage runs of longer then .5-1k distance. I sure wouldn't want to take a penalty for frost bite. By the way YOW, does this include frost nip?

Nope. Just add a penalty for frostbite. I tend to get frost nip about 20 times during the winter. This penalty is to help me curb that tendency.

Oooh 7am is 12. 10am is 10. I'm doing park run at 9.... would it count?

I usually try to determine how much I ran at the qualifying temperature. Best guess works. When running at temps, where both min and max are within range, I take the average temp.

11°C this morning so I'll have to wait until the weekend.

Hi Yow,

Just had a question from La France ....

Hi Paul, just had a look at the winter challenge spreadsheet and I have a question. If you choose km in the appropriate column does the sheet convert them into miles automatically or do we have to convert them ourselves, the same goes for the temperatures. Apart for the mi/km choice the whole sheet is in mi/°F.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Yow,

Just had a question from La France ....

Hi Paul, just had a look at the winter challenge spreadsheet and I have a question. If you choose km in the appropriate column does the sheet convert them into miles automatically or do we have to convert them ourselves, the same goes for the temperatures. Apart for the mi/km choice the whole sheet is in mi/°F.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Paul

The spreadsheet converts km to miles, as long as you select km in the 'unit' column. °C will have to be converted to °F manually. (This is the first year we used imperial units ... giving the Yanks a bit of the break on their calculators ;))

Reactions: paulbeales
°C will have to be converted to °F manually. (This is the first year we used imperial units ... giving the Yanks a bit of the break on their calculators ;))
Why?
I think this is about the only country that still uses °F - it's time these people followed the rest of the world! :p

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090